E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Faded / Purple-looking Exterior Trim Along Doors Just Under Windows

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 02:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 R350. '05 C230. '93 454SS Truck. '71 Chevelle SS.
Faded / Purple-looking Exterior Trim Along Doors Just Under Windows

Is it just me or does this problem bug the heck out of anyone else around here. I bought my car exactly one year ago this month. It's an obsidian black '02 E320 and I noticed a month ago, that in the sun, the trim piece that sits just below the window along all four doors has faded into a purple-ish tint! Ofcourse, because of the love I have for my car, I took it in to the dealer to get them replaced, kudos Mercedes warranty. It's been a couple of months now and just yesterday here in the hot SoCal sun, once again I noticed that these pieces are going bad. And to top it off, the rear window trim is also turning into this purple-ish hue. Maybe I'm being a little too picky but hey, I know you guys know exactly what my feelings are because of the love that we have for our cars. Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done? Does anyone else have this problem??? I have noticed other Mercedes Benz's around here with similar purple-ish trim. This piece is chromed out on the s-class. I thought perhaps that might be an alternative...Any other ideas??? Help.

Joe P.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320, 2003 C230 Kompressor
Joe

You really got a stupid dealer.......I don't believe that he replaced them under warranty for something that you neglected to do. The black trim is just plastic and it requires maintenance just like the rest of the finish.

Quit taking it to car washes if possible. The purple-ishness is sped up by the car washes use of recycled water.

Wax the black trim just as you would the car. However, with your trim, I suggest you use a cleaner on it first, then a polish, then a wax.

My 2001 E looks as good as the day she was delivered.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
MBZ12 - The trim pieces are made of aluminum or more specific an aluminum alloy. For the W210, these pieces are anodized black. The anodizing process does change color with time. Darker colors will change shades. MBZ has used this process on earlier models and hue of purple is very common. I have the same color car as yours. The reflective contrast of the green/black definitely looks weird against the purple hue. Other colors, this constrast may not be so apparent.

One of the main reasons to anodize trim, rather than painting it black is that it more abrasion resistant and chipping is minimal or non-existant. Okay, so these are the reasons, but you still cannot live with the color. What can you do?

1. Paint them. This is a good option, but will require the proper prep to be done. The anodized coating should probably removed and the metal etched to accept the proper primer and paint.

2. A less destrutive way to cover the purple hue is to use black out tape. Black out tape is made of automotive grade vinyl, it is very black and has a satin finish. The prep work is minimal, use alcohol to clean the trim and apply the tape. If you can get the pieces off, you can wrap the tape around the edges and it will not lift. Even if you didn't wrap the edges, the tape probably will not lift if the surface was clean to start with.

How long will this last. Most automotive vinyls are good for about 2 years, but since these pieces are areas where there is a lot of contact, they are probably good for 6 or 7. I've used this stuff on other vehicles, and it has last many years.

3. If you don't like the vinyl idea, then remove all the pieces and have them powerder coated. Powder coating will last the life of your car and you can it in many finish and colors.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
If The Car Is Still Under the 12/12 Warranty Take it to the Dealer and have them replace the Defective pieces Under the 12 month 12,000 mile Warranty (It Covers Adjustment and Trim Items)
I had ALL of Mine done!...
Old 08-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320, 2003 C230 Kompressor
"The black trim is just plastic and it requires maintenance just like the rest of the finish. "

I stand corrected, the trim is not plastic. However, the maintenance procedure is the same.

It's nice that MB is replacing the trim under warranty. However, they are not going to do this forever.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
My 040 black window trim has turned to a goldish color. How easy are these parts to get off the door? Are they connected from the inside so the inner door panel would have to come off?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The Outer Window Moldings are held in place with clips..press fit..
Use a Plastic wedge to remove them..Straight up..

BTW The Next Time I Will Have Them Done In Black Chrome..Since my W210 wagon is Black...And It Wont Turn Blue!

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-2003, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 R350. '05 C230. '93 454SS Truck. '71 Chevelle SS.
Thanks again for the information guys. I have a call in to the dealer to get them replaced once again. I figure I will take advantage of the warranty as much as I can. I hate to be a pain the *** for them but I have to remind myself that they had no problem taking my money when I bought the car.

Joe P.