E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Transmission Issue - 1997 E420 Sport - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
Exclamation Transmission Issue - 1997 E420 Sport - Help!

Driving down the interstate this weekend on cruise control I raised the cruise lever to increase the speed a bit and suddenly the revs shot up and the transmission appeared to slip into neutral as you could feel the engine rev but the power was not reaching the wheels.

Pulled over and let the car sit for a few minutes and started it back up and this would let me drive a bit further until it would slip back into neutral again. I am getting a "check engine electronics" light on the display and you can hear a bit of a belt/fan noise coming from the left side of the engine in the brief moments it was drivable after the issue occurred.

Managed to get the car home after a lot of pulling over, let it sit, go for a bit routine but am at a loss for what to check and am trying to track down a local mechanic that handles MB work as the closest dealership is about an hour drive from here. I've read a bit about the "limp home mode" and I don't believe it is being forced into this as during the moments that the power does reach the wheel it doesn't appear to be limited to certain gears. Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Not very pretty, the CEL turned on because there is an issue----you need to have the codes read, however an OBD reader will not read the transmission module and it is that module that reported to the engine ECU there is a fault---therefore the CEL comes on----so what do you do-----do nothing, go to he dealer, go to a shop that can read the transmission module!!------How do I do that----start dialing!!