E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1998 E320 key will not work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
1998 E320 key will not work

My 1998 E320 just started to not accept the key. The key will not work the door locks and when inserted in the ignition, I cannot turn the ignition and the dash reads 'Take Key'.

I ordered a new key which I should get on Mon. If that doesn't work I see an ignition switch on benzpartsforless for $431. Tis is less than I was quoted of $1600 to have it replaced. Is this the right part or is there something else I should try?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,024 Likes on 952 Posts
1999 E300TD
Why diden't you test the EIS?? or at least try the spare key before purchasing parts??
Old 05-16-2013, 12:33 PM

E320
My daughter has the car, away from home. I only ordered a new key because it seemed the lowest cost option. We only have one key, because the other key and valet key have both been lost over time.

Is there an inexpensive way to test the EIS?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
If you did not order the key from MB-----who is going to use MB diagnostic software to "teach the key in". That is not a five minute job!!

Nothing is inexpensive on a fifteen year old car!!You are already throwing money at the car not knowing the problem!! Hope you are right!!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:09 AM

E320
I have the car at an independent shop now that was recommended by a friend in the repair business. What I am trying to proactively decide is if the key doesn't work, what the right next step is. The owner of the shop says the EIS is the next component, but again, his quote to replace is like $1600. I was looking and saw the $431 unit on line, but am not sure if this is really the right part (and if it is, is it capable of being synched with the car/key, etc.

Again, if the key did not work for either the locks or the ignition, how likely is it that the key is bad or something else on the car?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
The real story is that the MB sourced EIS is a TRP(theft relevant part) and can only be purchased in person and by the person who owns the car, the list is about 500.00 however if you purchase an EIS you also need to purchase a program key for 220.00, which is refundable once the program key is used to flash the EIS.

Therefore if you purchase a EIS on the internet make sure it also includes the program key or it will not function!!

To conclude, replacing the EIS on a W210 also requires that you remove the steering lock----that process is very labor intensive and doubt very seriously that you or your daughter could accomplish the job---so you have the cost of three elements EIS, Program key and at least six hours of direct labor.

Choose wisely as this can get very expensive for a 3000 car!!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Door locks and the ignition activation are different functions. To get the doors to lock/unlock you might just need to replace the batteries. For the car to recognize the key there is a chip inside that has probably gone bad. What I would do is buy a new key from a MB dealer and that should work out of the box.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:55 AM

E430
Since this board was so helpful while I was trying to diagnose my problem I figured I would check back in with an update. The key in my 1999 E430 would not turn in the ignition nor would the key open the doors or trunk. We (my husband) checked the batteries, fuses, and vehicle battery to no avail. I tried resetting the key... all to no avail. I finally gave up, ordered a new key and had the vehicle towed to the dealer. Two weeks and $331 later the car started right up with the key.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The ignition knob and doors remote are 2 separate things in the same body, so strange that both failed at the same time.
Still the first thing I do when buying car with 1 key is stop at dealer and orders spare one. The service aka valet keys might be available much cheaper than the remote.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:08 PM

1998 Mercedes E320 V6 Base
Originally Posted by therealp31
Since this board was so helpful while I was trying to diagnose my problem I figured I would check back in with an update. The key in my 1999 E430 would not turn in the ignition nor would the key open the doors or trunk. We (my husband) checked the batteries, fuses, and vehicle battery to no avail. I tried resetting the key... all to no avail. I finally gave up, ordered a new key and had the vehicle towed to the dealer. Two weeks and $331 later the car started right up with the key.
Ironically, I am having the same issue. How did you get the car in neutral without turning the ignition? The only exception is that my car is a 1998 Mercedes E320.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:18 PM

E430
Originally Posted by kajtek1
The ignition knob and doors remote are 2 separate things in the same body, so strange that both failed at the same time.
Still the first thing I do when buying car with 1 key is stop at dealer and orders spare one. The service aka valet keys might be available much cheaper than the remote.
Since I’d never owned a Mercedes Inhas no idea that replacement keys were so expensive. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted by SomethingHasToG
Ironically, I am having the same issue. How did you get the car in neutral without turning the ignition? The only exception is that my car is a 1998 Mercedes E320.
The ignition would not turn at all with the old key. When I used the new key the car was in park and it just started right up. There was no need to put it in neutral.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by therealp31

Since I’d never owned a Mercedes Inhas no idea that replacement keys were so expensive. Lesson learned.

The ignition would not turn at all with the old key. When I used the new key the car was in park and it just started right up. There was no need to put it in neutral.
Do you still have your old key with you(the one that does not work)? If yes, could you place it in front of your phone camera and tell me if your see a red light when you press any buttons? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 PM

E320
Fix?

i have had a similar situation but discovered a workaround. While the key fob is in the ignition press the door unlock button. Don’t hold too long. You may need to do it 3 to 5 times but one of those times you may hear the ignition release and you can start the car. Sometimes it may turn all the way without starting, just take out the key and try again. If that doesn’t work after 5 tries then flip over the key and try the series again.
I don’t know why it works but it does.
If you get it to start and run, it still might not look CKE when you go to shut off. If that happens put the key back in and do what you did to get the electronic release sound and then take the key out and close and lock.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Dead keys can usually be repaired.

And when doing IR test with iPHONE, you need to use the selfie camera, not main one.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kbarryorinda
i have had a similar situation but discovered a workaround. While the key fob is in the ignition press the door unlock button. Don’t hold too long. You may need to do it 3 to 5 times but one of those times you may hear the ignition release and you can start the car. Sometimes it may turn all the way without starting, just take out the key and try again. If that doesn’t work after 5 tries then flip over the key and try the series again.
I don’t know why it works but it does.
If you get it to start and run, it still might not look CKE when you go to shut off. If that happens put the key back in and do what you did to get the electronic release sound and then take the key out and close and lock.
You got lucky there. The coil in your key fob was probably coming loose and not entirely disconnected. With my key fob, it was a bit different. I ended getting two key fobs made for it so I should be fine in the future. Luckily it did not happen while I was out.