E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Anyone consider diamond stiched alcantara accents?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 E320
Anyone consider diamond stiched alcantara accents?

I don't know if this is a crazy idea but... has anyone considered diamond stitched interior goodies like an alcantara headliner with diamond stitching? I was really considering doing this to give the interior some extra character. Fellow member Bagelsjustbagels has them on the center armrest in his c36 and it looks amazing in person. I was just wondering if anyone else considered this or even went through with it.

Here's a link of a VW guy with it
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...itch-Headliner
Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Diamond stitch seat inserts is something I've been planing on DIY'ing for quite a while along with an alcantara dash and headliner. I'll most likely do a double stitch diamond design like this Bentley setup.

http://www.bentleyconversions.co.uk/...tched-logo.jpg

I've still got a way to go before I feel my skill is up to par. Here are a couple pics of my first ever upholstery attempt. The edges of the seat back looks a bit loose in these pics because I hadn't installed enough snaps yet.

The Godfather had a diamond stitched headliner in his W210 E55 but I can't remember if he did the seats or not. Tried a quick search but his pics seem dead. A thorough search might find some pics.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:40 AM

1998 E320
that looks amazing man! how long have you been doing it before you did that seat?

hopefully I can find someone to do it here. they all refuse to do diamond stitched headliners
Old 06-16-2013, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430

When I was in junior high school home economics class we had to sew a pillow. I did a terrible job since I cared a lot more about flirting with the girls then learning how to sew. 20+ years later I got a quote to do this seat on my GoKart and decided I'd rather just try it myself then pay the outrageous price I was quoted. This was the very first real upholstery attempt I ever did. I did it with an $89 machine that I went out and bought at Walmart. Since then I've been practicing a bit when I have the time and I'm looking to get a used professional quality walking foot machine. I did have to throw out one bottom cushion on my kart that I messed up the diamonds on but all the others were done on the first take. I built the whole kart from scratch. Bent all the tubing and sheetmetal, welded it all together, painted it, rebuild the engine, etc so it made sense to try and DIY the upholstery. The only thing I paid someone to do was the red hand pinstriping around my number and lace paint and then he decided to add the flourishes on the floorpan and seatback. I'm now trying to learn that art as well so I wont' have to farm it out next time.

Couple of more pics. In the last pic you can see the seat upholstery was a bit loose before I added a few more snaps.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 PM

1998 E320
nice! it looks like you're pretty good with all your DIYs. looks like its time for me to attempt some seats
Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E430
Might want to do your steering wheel as well. I've been looking over this DIY and thinking of redoing my wood and leather steering wheel in wood and alcantara.

http://www.thehogring.com/auto-uphol...jpm-thread273/