E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Recent BAS ASR Problem Fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 TD
BAS light problem in dashboard

Hi everybody,
i got a 1998 Mercedes E300TD and the BAS/ASR light keeps turning ON. In the center of the Dashboard, only the BAS is displayed. I have read on other forums that the brake light switch might be the problem or the voltage on the battery is low. That's not the case with my car. The BAS light only comes on when the outside temperature is below -1 degrees celsius and after a 5 minute drive. Even when it's extremely cold and i restart the car, the BAS light still comes on. I also noted that the engine's output performance is limited. When it's warm outside, the BAS never comes on. Please help me out guys.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM

E300 TD
BAS/ARS problems HELP!!!!!

Hi everybody,
i got a 1998 Mercedes E300TD and the BAS/ASR light keeps turning ON. In the center of the Dashboard, only the BAS is displayed. I have read on other forums that the brake light switch might be the problem or the voltage on the battery is low. That's not the case with my car. The BAS light only comes on when the outside temperature is below -1 degrees celsius and after a 5 minute drive. Even when it's extremely cold and i restart the car, the BAS light still comes on. I also noted that the engine's output performance is limited. When it's warm outside, the BAS never comes on. Please help me out guys.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 AM

Yet another reason:

Hi!

My 98 E200T lit up the BAS/ASR and the ABS warning lights. When I drove it, the abs system was obviously not working. After checking out the many advices in this thread, I called a MB-mechanic I Know. He told me to check if maybe one of the ABS-rings on the drive shafts were loose. I jacked the car, and quite right, one of the rings were loose and no longer in the right place.

So I cleaned the surfaces, and tried to fix it with a good polymer glue. I tied a thin rope around the ring, because rust underneath had made it snap off. So I needed to fixate it to the shaft, and keep clear of the surrounding housing.

After allowing the glue to dry over night, I went for a test drive, and after 20 m, the lights went out, and everything was back in order.

I guess this error is most common i the nordic countries, like Norway - where I live, and other countries where rust is an issue.

Last edited by Grease monkey; 10-12-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: adding new information
Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2007 e350, 2013 C250, 2004 C320, 2003 C320, 1998 CLK 320
Just had the BAS/ASR and ABS warning lights come on. Googled it. Found this thread. Got the switch from my indie. Swapped out the switch. 15 min fix. mbworld.org is the greatest MB site around and I can't thank the members enough for contributing their hard won knowledge. I pledge to return the favor.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:01 PM

E430 AMG
Hey guys , just got this problem with E430 and my ESP/ABS /ANT-LOCK and brake lights dont work , changed the switch OEM but the problem its not solved , any recomendations ? Thanks hc.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You learned your first inexpensive lesson regarding wasting money on parts that were not needed!!! Find the problem first--then purchase parts!!

Do you remember the circumstances that caused your issue??
Old 11-25-2013, 02:55 PM

99 E 320 S4
Mine did the same as well. Shop said $75.oo for Stop Light switch. I'd already researched before I went and knew it was a $10.00 part or so. Looking forward to saving that cash for sure with DYI info.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 PM

E320
Hello all at MBworld

Looking for some help on my 1999 Mercedes E 320, the help I'm looking for is I replace my brake switch on my E320 but my BAS ASR lights are still appearing in my left hand corner of my dash and I was trying to find out if there's anything else that I should check I read a lot of the members replies on how to fix this problem and it was great information so after still replacing it sadly my light issue did not go away. I love this car it has been very good to me ....so just asking for any help that may fix this problem......to all the Mercedes Benz members I want to say thank you very much your help is greatly appreciated.....
enrico320e...
Old 05-24-2014, 12:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
brake light switch

I think that you will be really disappointed with an after market brake switch. Spend the big bucks (a whopping $20) for the MB part. This application requires that the switch act not only as a positive terminal switch but also has to provide a very reliable ground for the BAS/ABS and others. This is where the auto parts items sooner or later fail.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM

E320
Brake lightswitch

I purchased my part for my Mercedes E320 at Napa it cost $18 so I don't know if I need to maybe go out and buy another one and try and see if that will fixed my issue.....
Enrico320e
Old 05-27-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300 TD W210. Yamaha fzs600 ,
Originally Posted by affalterbach
There is a simple test for to check if your brakelight switch is defective. When starting your car, leave your foot on the brake, for up to a minute. If the brakelight switch is bad, everything will appear normal until you lift your foot from the brake, then the ASR/BAS/ABS lights will appear. The contacts inside the switch get worn and malfunctions.

As for a part number, the 96-99 e-classe have a switch that retails for about $20. The 2000 and up's switch is different and retails for about $16. Just ask the dealer for the switch for your particular car. A lot of times asking the dealer for a part number is not the way to go, because part numbers can get superceded or recalled. The only way to get the latest is by asking the dealer for the latest version based on the build date of your car.

Good Luck
Thank you kindly for your invaluable expertise guys. The holding the brake pedal down was a great tip
On another subject, I notice my brake lights fuse blows regularly when I use the parking brake (hand brake) (really a foot brake in our case . ). I haven't got any further than not applying it when parking to see if it stops it blowing fuse , which it does . Could this be related to the brake switch which I plan to change soon as I can get one ?

Last edited by Goroundthebenz; 05-27-2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Addition, I may try to fix the old switch and post details and pics if possible
The following users liked this post:
silverc4s (07-08-2018)
Old 05-29-2014, 07:16 AM

E320
BAS ASR

Hi tried some suggestions that was posted and I thank you so much for that .. Okay first what I did before I had started the vehicle I put my foot on the break and held it all the way down and started to car and the lights were still on , as I released the brake pedal the lights remained on , turned the car off and started it back up the lights are still on....ABS ASR I stated that I bought my part from Napa like 17 or $18 and some suggested maybe that I should try to find it at another place or another part so what I'll do is I'll try again and see how it works and I'm hoping that takes care of my fight problem ... but I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments thank you so much..
Enrico320e
Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 AM

Wires

Originally Posted by Enrico320e
Hi tried some suggestions that was posted and I thank you so much for that .. Okay first what I did before I had started the vehicle I put my foot on the break and held it all the way down and started to car and the lights were still on , as I released the brake pedal the lights remained on , turned the car off and started it back up the lights are still on....ABS ASR I stated that I bought my part from Napa like 17 or $18 and some suggested maybe that I should try to find it at another place or another part so what I'll do is I'll try again and see how it works and I'm hoping that takes care of my fight problem ... but I appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments thank you so much..
Enrico320e
I found after I changed my brake switch that problem came back after little time. I found that I had a short on wires. The wires from ignition and brake switch had fused together .... So whenever I turned ignition on I had brake lights on ..
Is worth checking the wires as far as you can for this. I found it by Checking resistance across the terminals of brake switch , and checking voltage presence .
Once I repaired and separated the wires my BAS etc and brake lamps all work perfectly ...
Next task rear window door module that has power to it but no door light or window working ....
Old 06-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Thumbs up Wise words

Originally Posted by J spaulding
I think that you will be really disappointed with an after market brake switch. Spend the big bucks (a whopping $20) for the MB part. This application requires that the switch act not only as a positive terminal switch but also has to provide a very reliable ground for the BAS/ABS and others. This is where the auto parts items sooner or later fail.
Absolutely true, in UK I picked up the genuine switch for £15 inc tax .... No brainer , use genuine
Old 06-24-2014, 02:30 PM

1998 E320
I just started having that problem this weekend. I did notice that it only ever popped on when I put my foot on the brake so I imagine that might be the problem.

On a related question...I also get an "ACCEL CONTROL" error message on the message screen and the cruise stops working when the ASR BAS light comes on. Does anybody know if they're related?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:04 AM

1999 E300TD, 1959 190SL
ASR/BAS CRUISE CONTROL

hi everyone,

totally new here and also came across you forum when I typed in asr/bas lights on in display.

I read through all, but nobody ever mentioned anything about the brake lights not working when the brake light switch is bad.

can anybody here give a comment on that?

I just bought this e300td with this problem, but brake lights work fine.

thanx,

pieter
Old 01-29-2015, 03:05 AM

E300 Turbo Diesel
Hi guys, I just inherited a 1999 E300 Turbo Diesel (151k miles) from a friend. It looks phenomenal cosmetically but has a few oddities so I know that I will need this forum and I hope to contribute to it. Sad thing is I don't have much cash to burn so i'll have to pull up my sleeves.

I got the Anti-Lock and BAS light coming home from work at 2am, 21 degress Farenheit outside.

When it happened: I was driving 75mph on a highway and had to strongly slow down to 35,. Bam, light comes on. It does not reset when engine is turned off.

I'll try the brake holding in park -> Engine startup and still hold -> release and I will check the tire pressure. Any other tips?

Last edited by cdrichar; 01-29-2015 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 AM

Yep, same here. 2000 E320 and ABS, ESP/BAS lights on and the command to go to my dealer :-)

No brake lights sort of gave the solution away :-)

16 Euro brake switch and 10 minutes of back aches solved it... :-)
Thanks for the great tips.....
Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 PM

99 E320
Originally Posted by Merc1
Hi,

Just wanted to share some info, incase you run into it.

My BAS ASR light came on, both places on the corner of the dash and the Computer Display.

My cruise control stopped working.

I talked to Mechanics and MB, they were all telling me things
which scared me big $$$, anyway, I found the info on the other forum.

Believe it or not, I bought $12.50 Brake lamp switch and replaced it. It took me 15 min, no more warnings and the problem is solved.

Thanks for the info I am also having this problem mine comes on then goes away then back again I will be fixing this myself from the helpful info thanks again.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tesla model S
Just to help out others with a recent experience of my new to me 98 E300 with 162K miles. I also had the ABS/BSR/ETS lights upon start up.

Changed the brake switch, problem still there.
Changed K40 relay, problem still there.
Changed ABS pump (indy read codes referring to high pressure pump), problem still there
Had another indy track issue pin to pin found no power to the ABS pump, found power into the SAM module, no power out.
Replaced SAM module for $375, problem fixed.

Back to Plutoe's reply a few lines up - although I tried to save some money, at the same time learn my car by attempting some maintenance items myself. All I really did was buy parts I didnt need, and do work I didnt have to do. With that said after reading these threads I thought it was worth a $30 brake switch and a $120 K40 relay to see if it worked. It's all in how you look at BUT, if I had to do it over I would have taken it to the Indy MB guy I trust and step back - anyway just sharing what my issue was.

Oh, lastly the reason my SAM module was bad was due to the guy I bought it from charged the battery the day before I came to look at. I also found a thread in the W202 forum on this site where a guy jumped started his car, then had all the lights as I had come on - his problem? Bad SAM module - cheers.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:51 PM

1998 s500 benz
radio code

Originally Posted by alexbecool
1999 MB E320 Sedan 131000 ml - bought it at auto auction in Virginia when picked it up BAS/ASR lights already ON, passenger side engine mount is broken, and radio asking for CODE! I replaced engine mount-vibration gone away and car starts riding like it should. I GOOGLE BAS/ASR light and found this site.
This is the best MB forum! Thanks for the help, the problem was with the Break Light Switch as many of you stated correctly. I pulled out my bad break light switch in 5min, than I take it apart that switch and made it to work again, such an easy fix. Didn't even had to buy new one! Put my old switch back in, light are OFF and those systems are functional. It was kind of tricky to take the switch apart but if you can do it you can fix your old one, I'm pretty sure! and save the trip to MB dealership or skip the waiting time on online order and 20 bucks!

Now! Where do I find radio CODE besides going to a dealership?
Can anyone help?
Go to mercedes benz usa and start chat in contact us and give them vin# you will get code in 5min I had the same problem
Old 12-07-2016, 01:03 PM

'98 Mercedes W210 E320 wagon
ASR BAS warning lights plus another problem

I have a '98 E320 wagon. Over the last couple of years when I would start up first thing in the morning the engine would do what I would call "lope." It would rev up a little then let off, and keep repeating this, and the foot-feed was functionless. It was getting way too much fuel because you could smell the gasoline. At the same time the ASR light was on. If I shut it off and re-started it everything was just fine for the rest of the day. This happened originally only in colder weather. Now it's worse; every time I start the engine, regardless of the weather, it does that same thing, PLUS the BAS light is now on also. After re-starting it's OK except I have no cruise control now, and the ASR-BAS light in the corner of the dash panel stays on. So my problem sounds like the one in the other thread except for that "loping" engine. MB wants $2200 to replace an air pump and some other unit in the throttle system, but won't guarantee that will fix it. This probably is related somehow to the earlier thread, because if I hold down the brake pedal while starting up, the BAS light doesn't come on until I release the brake pedal.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:03 PM

'98 Mercedes W210 E320 wagon
Originally Posted by jnstro
I have a '98 E320 wagon. Over the last couple of years when I would start up first thing in the morning the engine would do what I would call "lope." It would rev up a little then let off, and keep repeating this, and the foot-feed was functionless. It was getting way too much fuel because you could smell the gasoline. At the same time the ASR light was on. If I shut it off and re-started it everything was just fine for the rest of the day. This happened originally only in colder weather. Now it's worse; every time I start the engine, regardless of the weather, it does that same thing, PLUS the BAS light is now on also. After re-starting it's OK except I have no cruise control now, and the ASR-BAS light in the corner of the dash panel stays on. So my problem sounds like the one in the other thread except for that "loping" engine. MB wants $2200 to replace an air pump and some other unit in the throttle system, but won't guarantee that will fix it. This probably is related somehow to the earlier thread, because if I hold down the brake pedal while starting up, the BAS light doesn't come on until I release the brake pedal.
I had the brake light switch replaced this morning. That fixed the BAS problem - no more light on the dash and I have cruise control again. However, I still have the problem with that surging engine when I start the engine. The error code says PO1580 which says the throttle motor is either dirty or shorting out. Can anyone help??