E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

4matic struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
4matic struts

I know beat to death on this but I am going to buy a spring compressor and do my own front struts, The compressor is an internal one but the question is, If the strut is inside of the spring how does the spring compressor fit in there with it?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
You would need to use an external spring compressor. When I changed mine I did it without a compressor, its easier with the axle out of the way.
Here are the basic steps I followed.

Remove the front sway bay
Detach the lower ball joint
Support the control arm with a jack
Loosen/Remove the nuts on the top of the strut in the engine bay
Lower the control arm gradually to release the tension on the spring.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
You know, everything I read says you need an internal compressor such as a Klauss type, I have been asking myself over and over how that would work with the strut inside the spring. Most guys say that it cant be done without the compressor but you obviously did it. How long to RR? I was going to buy a comp but hate to for one use, Sometimes these forums are very hard to get a straight answer cause there are so many people that over complicate everything or just plain don't know but answer anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love the forums and there are a lot of great people participating but sometimes very frustrating.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by CHolmes
You know, everything I read says you need an internal compressor such as a Klauss type, I have been asking myself over and over how that would work with the strut inside the spring. Most guys say that it cant be done without the compressor but you obviously did it. How long to RR? I was going to buy a comp but hate to for one use, Sometimes these forums are very hard to get a straight answer cause there are so many people that over complicate everything or just plain don't know but answer anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love the forums and there are a lot of great people participating but sometimes very frustrating.
coil-over designs (4matic) - use the hook spring compressor.

for separate spring and shock design - use the pancake/internal compressor

there are rental programs on peachparts.com....or you can ask to rent/borrow
from a forum member. last time, i asked for $200 deposit and when I received
it in working shape, I peeled all but $20 and bought myself lunch. they can
be heavy so postage/shipping can be a consideration.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by CHolmes
I know beat to death on this but I am going to buy a spring compressor and do my own front struts, The compressor is an internal one but the question is, If the strut is inside of the spring how does the spring compressor fit in there with it?
CHolmes,

In order to change the Front Struts on your E320 4Matic, you will want to use an External Spring Compressor since the spring goes around the strut on the 4Matic cars.

We have the External Spring Compressors available on our site. You can get to them by clicking HERE, or by clicking on the photos of the Spring Compressors below.

We also have the Front Struts for your car available as well. You can get to them by clicking HERE, or by clicking on the photo below.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to post or send a PM!