E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Coolant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM
RPB

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Coolant?

Hello,

I recently acquired a '99 E-Class. I got some records but I am not seeing any mention of a coolant flush. The car cools fine, I got a coolant tester and it was at the top of the scale in terms of protection. I did notice some particles in the coolant reservoir. Should I flush it as preventative maintenance or am I good for another year considering the test results?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
If you don't have any leaks and have not added water, the antifreeze ratio will remain constant which is what the tester is measuring. However, the chemicals in the coolant to provide corrosion protection will be spent. That is why MB and most manufacturers recommend changing the coolant every 3 years and to use a coolant compatible with the metals in the cooling system. FYI - the brake system should be flushed every 2 years.

Get a gallon of MB antifreeze and a gallon of DI water and mix. Drain the radiator on level ground. You'll get about 2 gallons out.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by RPB
Hello,

I recently acquired a '99 E-Class. I got some records but I am not seeing any mention of a coolant flush. The car cools fine, I got a coolant tester and it was at the top of the scale in terms of protection. I did notice some particles in the coolant reservoir. Should I flush it as preventative maintenance or am I good for another year considering the test results?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
RPB,

As was mentioned above, the cooling system should be flushed and re-filled every couple of years in order to replace the anti-corrosion additives in the coolant. Be sure to only use genuine Mercedes-Benz coolant, or Zerex G-05, as these are the only two coolants that are approved for use in your E-Class. Coolant should only be mixed with distilled water.

We have the coolant available on our site HERE, or by clicking on the photo of the coolant below.

We also offer this Coolant Evacuation Tool Kit so that you can quickly refill your cooling system without airlock issues. You can get to the Coolant Evacuation Tool Kit by clicking HERE, or by clicking on the photo of the kit below.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to post or send a PM!