E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Water leaking into drivers side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 E320 4Matic Wagon W210
Water leaking into drivers side

I've read the leak threads, cleaned out (with long twisted tubing brush wire) what I thought was the culprit. - the drains under the hinges that lead to behind the wheel well, loosened a lot of scaly matter that dropped from drain hole, cleaned out the cowl drain pan under the cowl grills, but I couldn't locate the actual drains. Do you need to completely disassemble the cowl/wiper motor housing to clean this out?

This car was cosmetically neglected by the second owner, who I purchased it from, so I found a lot of leaves, compost, etc, that I took a vacuum and air hose to, but I obviously missed something. I had cleaned out the cowl area and hinge trough drains on Monday of this week - Wednesday morning after sitting overnight in a rain there was a puddle in the drivers footwell.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yes, but I would also run a hose over the area to confirm what you think is the leak area
Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM
-B-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 320
those drains could easily clog again if there is a mess of debris in that area behind the strut tower....However I've only done this on a C Class coupe so not sure if it's the same as this one. I reached in to that area to find several inches of water, ECU submerged along with fuse box. Water got high enough to follow the wiring harness into the car. This girl had been fighting gremlins for years until I found it clogged like that. Her MB mechanic (who has a plus reputation in the area) never thought to look there

I cut the part of the drain tube that restricts at the end, I'm sure someone may say not to but that tube being open seems to make more sense.