E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Engine stalling, acceleration problem.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e34 525tds, e39 528i, S210 E280 4-matic, VW Passat B5 1.9tdi
Engine stalling, acceleration problem.

Greetings,

To conserve our precious time, I'm attaching a youtube video.

Short explanation: When starting cold engine, the first 5-7 times it immediately stalls. Afterwards it begins working for a bit longer, but doesn't accept acceleration. Video begins at that moment.
I've been consulting with a few of my fellows and tried their suggested possible fixes. Computer diagnostics found two DTC's: MAF sensor and Lambda sensor.

I've changed the MAF sensor- nothing's changed;
I've checked the air intake system for possible air leaks, but didn't find any;
Measured the fuel pressure, and it seems to be good as well (4 bars).

Thanks in advance,
Luke
Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
That's a great advertisment for all those services----Now what's your point!!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 AM

My point is... What might be causing the problem I'm experiencing (engine stalling, and acceleration problem)?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 349 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Hey luke,

You may have an Electrical problem, bad alternator regulator/bad battery/battery ground/positive wiring not fit properly or having loose,

try to check those first....

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ing-issue.html

ZAYED,,
Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Thanks for your reply, cm60k.
Today I took my MB to a guy who does computer diagnostics for a living. After cleaning the DTC's, and a few engine starts, nothing new showed up. Then he began running some deeper tests, and as he explained, it seems, that the engine is experiencing these problems, because it hasn't been driven for a quite long time (one year, to be more exact). He did some "magic" and managed to get working at least to do a few runs around the block. At first the engine was working rough, but them, as it heated, it became better and better. It got to that point that it's at least drivable, but it still is missing power, sometime missfires, idles rough... He recommended to fill up some extra fuel ant try to drive it for as much as possible.
He as well said that the engine has bad ignition timing. But the engine is equipped with a chain, not a belt, so I guess it couldn't have slipped..? Then what? Crank/camshaft position sensor? I've tested the CKP sensor and it shows 1100ohms. That looks about right.. Didn't have the time to test the Camshaft position sensor(CMP), because it started raining. Could a CMP sensor cause bad ignition timing (and crappy engine work as well)?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 PM

97 E320
Originally Posted by lukique
Thanks for your reply, cm60k.
Today I took my MB to a guy who does computer diagnostics for a living. After cleaning the DTC's, and a few engine starts, nothing new showed up. Then he began running some deeper tests, and as he explained, it seems, that the engine is experiencing these problems, because it hasn't been driven for a quite long time (one year, to be more exact). He did some "magic" and managed to get working at least to do a few runs around the block. At first the engine was working rough, but them, as it heated, it became better and better. It got to that point that it's at least drivable, but it still is missing power, sometime missfires, idles rough... He recommended to fill up some extra fuel ant try to drive it for as much as possible.
He as well said that the engine has bad ignition timing. But the engine is equipped with a chain, not a belt, so I guess it couldn't have slipped..? Then what? Crank/camshaft position sensor? I've tested the CKP sensor and it shows 1100ohms. That looks about right.. Didn't have the time to test the Camshaft position sensor(CMP), because it started raining. Could a CMP sensor cause bad ignition timing (and crappy engine work as well)?

It's NOT any of your sensors! Your issues is the Engine wiring harness has gone bad. Check the harness make sure the wires are not corroded. If they are, you are in a crappy situation. For the E-320 it will run you between 1100 and 1300 bucks.. I had to replace mine. Leave your sensors alone. That is not your issue. Its not hard to put on either. It will take about 2 hours. I ran the wires using the existing one. Cutting the old one off piece by piece. Once I put the new one on which ran me 1300 bucks, I've had no more issues out of the car. I had 268,000 miles on It. I'm now at about 289,000k.