E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1997 E420 owner, Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
1997 E420 owner, Thanks!!

Thanks to everyone for your guidance on purchasing an E420. I just drove home a silver/Graphite E420, 67k miles with all options but the rear sunshade. The same dealer that had the Black one with the broken cruise, switch, rust, etc got another one in on trade today.

This was a trade on a new s-class by a female doctor, original owner, all service records by the selling dealer. No rust, normal sized door dings, perfect interior. I scoured the car thoroughly, all it needs are brakes, tires and a light bulb. Everything works great and I can probably squeeze by for another month on the brakes and tires.

Because the car wasn't cleaned up and they would've had to do the brakes and tires I was able to get it for $14,500.

I've looked at more than 10 of these cars and only one was nicer but was priced $6k more. Thanks to everyone for helping me take my time to find the right one. This car is solid.

I'm sure that my next post will be about replacing the rotors.

Love my new Benz.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Re: 1997 E420 owner, Thanks!!

Originally posted by gstigler
Thanks to everyone for your guidance on purchasing an E420. I just drove home a silver/Graphite E420, 67k miles with all options but the rear sunshade. The same dealer that had the Black one with the broken cruise, switch, rust, etc got another one in on trade today.

This was a trade on a new s-class by a female doctor, original owner, all service records by the selling dealer. No rust, normal sized door dings, perfect interior. I scoured the car thoroughly, all it needs are brakes, tires and a light bulb. Everything works great and I can probably squeeze by for another month on the brakes and tires.

Because the car wasn't cleaned up and they would've had to do the brakes and tires I was able to get it for $14,500.

I've looked at more than 10 of these cars and only one was nicer but was priced $6k more. Thanks to everyone for helping me take my time to find the right one. This car is solid.

I'm sure that my next post will be about replacing the rotors.

Love my new Benz.
What for the indicator about the brakes..... I'm actually doing the front brakes as we speak. So far it's really intuitive. I'll get into it later.. at work
Old 12-09-2003, 06:02 PM

wow!

Thats a great deal. Hope that the market is not that bad on these W210. If it is, I dont think I can get much for mine.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:09 PM

1997 E420
I really felt lucky. A lot of the price had to do with the car needing brakes and tires. This dealer had a union shop at some rediculous labor rate that was going to cost them about $2g to do the work. Also, they had zero floor plan and zero marketing cost associated with the car.

On top of all that, the dealer is under construction and had no space for more cars. It took me 10 minutes to park there and 15 minutes to leave because som many cars had to be moved to let customers in and out.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Good *****, congratulations! Now, let the modding begin. Post of a pic. of your car at least...
Old 12-10-2003, 04:43 PM

2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
That is an awesome price....Do a carfax and learn its history.

Good Luck!
Old 12-10-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Benz:

Unless he can return it within three days, getting a Carfax now could be like finding out your new wife is a s l u t after you have already married her.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by tony
Benz:

Unless he can return it within three days, getting a Carfax now could be like finding out your new wife is a s l u t after you have already married her.
lol....He still should get a carfax to find out the history...You can fix a car for the long run if it has a history of a certian problem, but with a wife being a ****...well there is no cure there lol
Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 PM

1997 E420
I've got bad news on two fronts....the carfax shows my wifes a **** and that she has hard, inaccurate miles on her....

Unless something is completely a-miss, the carfax should be fine. I have the original registration for the car, bill of sale, results from two emissions tests, dates and mileages for all service and I bought the car from the selling dealer. I can post the vin if someone has a carfax account and can run one. At this stage I'm not going to pay for it.

Half the time carfax is innaccurate anyway. I've seen where cars have been traded in with correct odometer statements only to go to auction where they round the miles. If they round down this results in a mileage descrepency. If my car was in an accident then my bad but there is certainly no evidence of it inside, outside or underneath.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by gstigler
I've got bad news on two fronts....the carfax shows my wifes a **** and that she has hard, inaccurate miles on her....

Unless something is completely a-miss, the carfax should be fine. I have the original registration for the car, bill of sale, results from two emissions tests, dates and mileages for all service and I bought the car from the selling dealer. I can post the vin if someone has a carfax account and can run one. At this stage I'm not going to pay for it.

Half the time carfax is innaccurate anyway. I've seen where cars have been traded in with correct odometer statements only to go to auction where they round the miles. If they round down this results in a mileage descrepency. If my car was in an accident then my bad but there is certainly no evidence of it inside, outside or underneath.
Here is the BIGGEST tip when buying a car.....NEVER TRUST THE DEALER Just never forget this.

If you post your VIN # I will get you the carfax report cause I have an account....Also, the carfax report is accurate but not always up to date.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally posted by Benz
Here is the BIGGEST tip when buying a car.....NEVER TRUST THE DEALER Just never forget this.
That is why they call them "stealerships," if you're not careful they'll rob you blind!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:05 PM

1997 E420
Benz,
Here is my Vin#
WDBJF72F2VA360853

I guess I'm willing to set myself up to look like an ***. The last car I bought I looked at about 20 different cars and ended up getting the one with the bad carfax history. It served me well for 60k so far. Anyway, I know this isn't the way that it should be done....after the fact.

Please email the carfax to me at:
geoffrey.stigler@nav-international.com

Thanks for doing this for me.

Geoff
Old 12-12-2003, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As someone above noted, a clean Carfax is nice but does not guarantee the car is good. I have seen several cars that have had obvious bodywork on several panels that had shown clean carfaxes. It seems that not all accidents get reported to Carfax. I always inspect the cars myself and then if I like the car I take it to a bodyshop and mechanic to have them inspect it. Costs a couple hundred dollars, but it is well worth it.