E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Steve - MBenzNL- Headlight remove???

Old 12-11-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE53 Coupe
Steve - MBenzNL- Headlight remove???

Hello Steve,

I need instruction and any diagrams or pictures on how to remove the headlight on my 2000 E430?

thanks in advanced.

Thanks,
Steve N.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 s600
I just did it on a 2000 e320 and will try to help. I assume that you are removing the entire headlight assembly.

Go into the wheel wells and remove all the screws that hold the plastic covering (semi circular strip - 8 screws or so). It's probably best to take off the tires. Once this is off, you'll find a black plastic slide that holds the lower bumper to the upper bumper (its the seam above the fog lights. This slide acts to lock the bumper pieces together and is located at the front on the wheel well at the seam. There is bolt that screws up from the bottom that keeps this slide from sliding backwards and releasing the pin holding the bumpers together. Remove this bolt and pull the slide backward (give it a hard pull). Sometimes the bumper still sticks together and you have to bang on it (with your hands, not a hammer!).

The rest of the removal is straigthforward. Open the hood and you've got a bolt on either side (just beyond the opening at the grill and then a couple of bolts around the headlights. The tricky thing is the slide mechanism under the fender.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Headlight removal

If you are just removing the headlights you will need a 10mm socket deep and shallow as well as an 8mm shallow. There are two bolts on the top side. One toward the fenders. This one is very long. The other one is where the plastic painted front cover attaches to the headlight assembly in between the two light pods. Pull on the rubber piece that is attached to the painted panel toward the center of the car. This rubber "finger" will just pull off if you go slowly. Place it out of the way so you can now work on the plastic painted panel. Once you remove these two bolts, you will need to pull toward the center of the car the plastic painted panel that covers the lower section of the headlamp. Be careful while you are pulling not to tear the rubber gasket that is attached to the bottom of the painted panel you are tugging on. This panel is attached via rubber gasket that attaches to the fender underside as well, and is one piece. This gasket is what rides on the top side of the bumper. This will make sense if you look at the car and go slowly after you read these instructions. The plastic panel is attached to the fender via a plastic finger guide so when you pull this finger guide will just pull out of it's socket. Now you can let the plastic painted panel just hang and out of the way to the side. You will now notice a bolt straight forward on the lower right, and one sideways going toward the fender below the headlamp assembly with a very large washer on the bolt. Once you remove these two, you have completed removing all the hardware. You will then need to roll the heqadlight out from its sitting position. I would grab two rags, and place one around the top side of the fender where the headlight assembly meets the rounded part of the fender, and place another one under the top mounting tab where the long bolt came up from. This will keep you from scratching any painted surfaces while you are rolling the headlamp assembly out from the sitting position. Also once you get the headlamp assembly free and clear, do not forget to disconnect the wire harness in two spots. Should be obvious once you have the assembly in your hands. More importanly remember to hook all of them back up once you re-install. I think I covered all the moves. I may have missed one bolt. I do not own the 99 E430 anymore, and do not have it here in the garage to reference to. But I'm pretty sure I'm close if not on. Good luck with it!:p
Old 07-14-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes E320
Can anyone provide pictures, or a how to video on how to do this procedure? I am having trouble locating all of the bolts. Thank you
Old 07-14-2016, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by Jeckelmann3
Can anyone provide pictures, or a how to video on how to do this procedure? I am having trouble locating all of the bolts. Thank you
5 seconds of youtube searching found this