E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Adding Bluetooth to Stock 1999 E430 Radio - No GPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e430
Question Adding Bluetooth to Stock 1999 E430 Radio - No GPS

Howdy y'all!

I'm hoping to add a bluetooth receiver to my 1999 E430. It's got a stock radio, no GPS, with the Bose system, and a CD changer in the trunk.

Ideally, I would love to be able to connect a bluetooth receiver up to the CD changer's plug in the trunk and just leave it at that....but I haven' found any such solution for sale.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
it will be most challenging trying to locate a plug and play item as the cd changer runs on a unique fiber compliant cable. better to replace the head unit, i opine
Old 11-07-2014, 05:39 PM

1999 e430
I've since found a pair of plugs in the armrest. One appears to be a Coax, and the other a phone jack (maybe RJ45?, I didn't get a close look yet).

No doubt these are for old connections. Anyone know of any use for them that includes audio, not just phone calls?

If I replace the head unit, I lose the auto-volume (based on car speed) functionality. I'm considering an FM transmitter / Bluetooth device, such as the GoGroove X3..... that is unless there is a head unit with bluetooth that utilizes the bose system, and preserves all its features.

Also, there is a built in tape deck behind the head unit .... but it won't close/play with a tape adapter in it.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55
You can send your original Becker radio to Becker and they can add an auxiliary input for you for around $100. Then buy a Belkin Bluetooth adaptor from Amazon. The sound is great and it works really well. I had mine done about two years ago and it is used every day. All steering wheel controls work as before.
I don't think there is an option to plug into the cd changer.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:42 PM

1999 e430
Originally Posted by mufc
You can send your original Becker radio to Becker and they can add an auxiliary input for you for around $100. Then buy a Belkin Bluetooth adaptor from Amazon. The sound is great and it works really well. I had mine done about two years ago and it is used every day. All steering wheel controls work as before.
I don't think there is an option to plug into the cd changer.
Do you have any further information on that process?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
http://www.beckerautosound.com/3302-...ose%20amp.html
Old 12-02-2014, 11:11 PM

2000 E430
There are several write ups around the net about how to wire in an aux port to your stock radio. I did it and it works fine. Now that I know it works, I intent to get a cheapo blue tooth module ($15ish bucks, Amazon) and wire it in the same way I wired in the aux port. I don't know the rules here about linking to other sites or forums, so I won't post a link, but if you google E430 aux audio, or something like that, you'll find info.

It's a simple job, if you're decent at soldering and have the tools. Removing the radio is easy, then you just open it up (also easy) and solder your aux cable on the board to the spot where the cassette player picks up its signal. Then just take and old cassette and take the guts out. Then you pop in the gutted cassette to trick the stereo to go into tape mode, only it's getting its signal from your aux cable. Boom. All done. Works great, and I ran my aux cable through a small hole I drilled in the back of the storage bin below the stereo. It's practically invisible.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
01 E320
or you can get a new Kenwood (or other brand) single DIN head unit that is easily installable that will give you an auxiliary input, plus 1) dramatically improved FM sound quality 2) AM reception that is actually usable 3) Bluetooth phone (you can wire the microphone up the windshield cowl) that will interupt your music and ring in the car 4) Bluetooth audio with pandora control on the radio 5) USB connectivity for your ipod, phone etc that will both connect the device and charge it 6) in-dash CD player 7)satellite radio or HD radio if you choose a unit that includes those features.

What you lose is the steering wheel audio controls, the stock look of the OEM radio and the trunk mounted CD changer. Most of our CD changers crapped out by now anyway. Pull it out and toss it and you get some extra trunk space. New head units are easily connected to our existing Bose amp units with a readily available VW adapter. You can pull the head unit out and return the original (and in my opinion crappy) head unit when you sell the car.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4Match Wagon
I just called Crutchfield and they suggested a :
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT55...U.html?tp=5684
which I did state was for Bose-equipped wagon.

on "sale" for total of $119 + $7 parts kit. Includes screw kit, wiring harness, master sheet, antenna adapter, and tool pair.

I wasn't expecting hands-free phone and am happy about that. Steering wheel controls would have been nice but oh well. Rather have an in-dash CD and smart-phone integration.
I have awfully big, clumsy hands so when I get it I will decide whether to attempt the install or pay someone to do it right the first time!