E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

A little help with a VIN decode for newbie to W210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
A little help with a VIN decode for newbie to W210

Guys,
I am giving my son a hand with his first car purchase since returning back from Afghanistan. He has done a lot of research and suprised me when he spotted a 2001 E320 as a vehicle to get around in as he heads off to grad school. Per carfax it has had lower than average mileage per previous owner, all recommended service as well as service and replacement of a number of the items listed in TSBs for the vehicle in the sticky section here. Doing our due diligence now. Did a visual inspection of the vehicle and it has some exterior cosmetic issues which won't be expensive to resolve and the interior is in decent shape. We test drove the vehicle this weekend and while it has some age and mileage on it the engine sounds pretty good and it drives well. I'll take it in to my MBZ dealership for a thorough PPI later this week.

What I can't get a handle on is the options and features that came with this car. Lots of "descriptions" in dealer flyers , etc and on the net but always with a disclaimer of not exactly applicable to this vehicle. Is there anyone here who can do a VIN decode for me? There are a couple of kind souls who help out potential buyers in my normal sub-forum, W208, but since this is a W210 I thought that I would reach out here. If so I'd be happy to PM the VIN. Thanks very much in advance.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
2001 W210 Optional Equipment

Multicontour Seats
Heated/Ventilated Seats
CD Player
NAV System
Headlight Cleaners
Parktronic System
Phone
Xeon Headlights
Self Leveling Suspension
4MATIC (AWD)

Also, dealer installed options which wouldn't be on the Datacard

The dealer may provide you with a Datacard and a Vehicle History Report if they are nice and think there's some service business down the road.

And thank your son for his service.

Last edited by RichardM98; 05-11-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM

First thanks very much for the quick response and the kind words for my son, I'll be sure to pass them on. I wasn't aware of the self leveling suspension on these cars. Again not sure if his came with it but it sounds much like the ABC hydraulic suspension system in the SL R230 class. The key difference is that ABC is really Active Body Control aimed at performance driving whereas, please correct me here, it seems that the rear based self leveling suspension is designed for load balancing. While not all do, many have trouble with ABC as they fail to do preventive mainatancnce, fluid flushes and changes. Inspecting the valve blocks and accumulators for leaks at the seals etc. How is the reliability of the self leveling suspension system? Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
If I remember correctly, self leveling suspension was not an option on sedans in the U.S., but was standard on the wagons rear suspension. Like ABC it is a hydraulic system with hydraulic shocks and accumulators, that provide damping to the rear, but it is very simple and used primarilary for load leveling.

Last edited by RichM; 05-11-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes as RichM says SLS was for the wagon only. The list is for 2001 W210 including sedan and wagon.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 AM

Got it, thanks. Two points, first, I'd still be interested in and find utility in having a VIN decode if available. Second, much more subjective, assuming you address maintenance and fix any mechanical problems, how reliable are these cars to drive once they pass 100k miles? Are there any key "milestone" issues that need to be addressed as these cars tick past 100k miles, i.e. "x" should be replaced at 100k. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Assuming the car has received the required routine service, there are a few things which might come up at about 100K. They are 02 sensors*, MAF*, fan belt idler/tension pulleys, Motor mounts, Spark Plugs, transmission fluid and filter, Flex discs, differential fluid and front and rear suspension bushings (rubber).

* If you get a DTC only. Use only the correct Bosch part no. from a reputable seller.

Not sure why you wouldn't ask the dealer if you're going there shortly but you can set up an EPC account at startekinfo.com. It's free but you will need to provide a debit/credit card for verification. You will also need to install Java. There is helpful info at the site. Once setup, plug in your VIN. Use the dropdown from the menu bar to find datacard. That will show you the factory installed options. You can also use it to find part nos for your CLK. AFAIK, the Vehicle History Report is dealer only and some hesitate citing previous owner confidentially. But it shows MB maintenance on the car including any campaigns.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by City Rat
Got it, thanks. Two points, first, I'd still be interested in and find utility in having a VIN decode if available. Second, much more subjective, assuming you address maintenance and fix any mechanical problems, how reliable are these cars to drive once they pass 100k miles? Are there any key "milestone" issues that need to be addressed as these cars tick past 100k miles, i.e. "x" should be replaced at 100k. Thanks.
The W210 is no less reliable than any other car of its era as it passes the 100K mark. The one item that gets overlooked is the transmission service. MBUSA billed these boxes as sealed for life so many cars have never had this service done. It is important when test driving one of these cars to pay attention to shift points and quality. As important is to have this service performed using the correct spec fluids and parts. Since it is highly unusual to find a car that has been dealer serviced throughout its lifetime, there are certain items I address when buying a W210. All fluids exchanged and refilled with spec fluids. Vacuum hoses. Most times these will be original to the car, will be brittle and most likely fall apart in your hand as they are removed. Upper and lower rad hoses. Again not unusual to find original hoses. Serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley. If tensioner is original design, replace it with the updated model. Much of the above is a peace of mind thing as well as necessary maintenance, and a fresh starting point for routine service. Then as RichardM98 pointed out, the usual wear and tear items that need routine changing as cars age.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they will most likely pull a VMI for you. This has to be done using the SDS system, and is worth paying to have a quick scan done while the car is hooked up.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:41 PM

Guys, good tip on the EPC account I will get that done. Excellent tips on the "milestone" items. These are all the same as I plan for my CLK when it hits the big 100. On the transmission, for the E, CLK and other classes of that era the tranny was a "no maintenance item going by the MBZ book. That said, would dealer service have flushed, drained and replaced tranny fluid as a matter of course during regular A or B service? Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
VIN decoder......scroll up "Tools"
Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by City Rat
On the transmission, for the E, CLK and other classes of that era the tranny was a "no maintenance item going by the MBZ book. That said, would dealer service have flushed, drained and replaced tranny fluid as a matter of course during regular A or B service? Thanks.
No. Trans service was done only when requested, not as matter of course.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look on the transmission fill tube under the hood (rear right). There is no dipstick but a plastic cap with a locking pin. If the pin is black chances are the transmission has not been opened. If the pin is red it's likely. However, that might only mean the level was checked and/or some fluid was added.

Many owners service the transmission. Some as frequently as every 30K. The MB engineers who designed the car felt that if the transmission failed it would not be because the fluid caused it. Hence, the 'sealed for life' designation.