E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Considering StrutMasters Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320 4matic wagon
Considering StrutMasters Conversion

2000 E320 4matic wagon here. Have been rebuilding various parts of the car lately (front shocks, axle half shafts, ball joints, belt tensioner, idler pulley,serpentine belt and alternator. Fixed the trans cooler line under the radiator fan shroud too. Did the fuel filter and found some rusty fuel lines (not leaking yet) and also inspected all the lines for the hydraulic rear suspension. Those lines are scary! Considering the time and parts needed to start replacing hydraulic lines, I'm looking at the Strutmaster conversion option which is $500 in parts. I saw the video and it's pretty straight forward as it involves replacing the factory springs and hydraulic shocks with new springs and conventional shocks. They provide "caps" to block off the existiing lines from the accumulators. However, If I do this conversion, I plan on looping the hydraulic lines back to the power steering pump, either near the pump or steering rack, thus eliminating any future worries about all those rusty lines in the rear of the car. As for the fuel lines, I'm going to replace the pump and associated rubber lines and run new steel lines up to the engine compartment. The brakes lines look good from what I can see, but of course will replace any lines that may be needed. I would appreciate any feedback from others who have used the Strutmaster kit and how and where you looped the hydro lines. I've read threads where some have used S series control arms and springs and even swapped out the power steering pump from a non SLS car. I'm not interested in going that route as I think it's to "iffy" as far as ride height and bottoming out and don't want to change a perfectly good power steering pump when I can loop it and eliminate the plumbing to the rear of the car.
I'm a retired auto tech so I know my way around, but I don't have access to a lift, so I'll be doing this in my garage and on my back.
You're responses are appreciated, but please keep it on the subject and hands on experience is what I'm after, not hear say.
Thanks to all,
James
Old 10-03-2015, 04:15 PM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
Strutmasters update

I ordered the kit having convinced myself this was the way to go.
Package arrived and parts looked nothing like the video or on website.
Instructions were for 2003-2006 models with air ride. I called Strutmasters and technician said they "modified" the kit and the shocks and springs in the kit were a better fit than the old style. Problem is the shocks have mounting stems on both ends! The tech said they included a drill bit and I should drill a hole in my lower control arm to mount the shock! Also the springs don't have the correct ends and although they provide a lower mounting adapter, I can't see how the spring would seat properly in the upper spacer. Needless to say, the kit is going back and they're refunding my $$.
I still want to remove the SLS and put a conventional set up to maintain original height. I've searched but can't find specs on the OE springs. I know the SLS cars are said to have lower rated rear springs because the hydraulic units are carrying a lot of the load, so once they're taken out, can't just replace the shock absorber with a conventional one. (rear end sag most likely the result) I'm researching to find a replacement spring/shock combo that will work. Anyone have any info to share?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 W140
James. Wow. Those guys sold you a bill of goods.

Most of the guys on here have experience in lowering their cars or with coilovers. Not too many wagon guys. Check out peachparts.com. I have found that many of those members have eliminated SLS on their wagons.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:35 PM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
SLS

Thanks for the info. I did more research on the subject and it seems the original Strutmasters video for the E320 conversion used loop and eye mounted shocks using the outer mounting hole (the hydraulic cylinder uses two holes in the LCA) but there's hardly any clearance between the shock and the sway bar link. This is what the Strutmaster's tech was saying as to why they did a design change on the type of shock. The non SLS cars use a different LCA which has only one hole for the shock which seems centered and allows enough clearance. I considered changing both LCA but got a brainstorm as I'm trying to keep it simple. I ordered a set of shocks that I believe will work (yes, the same ones Strutmasters use and I will have to drill to mount them) and a set of Airlift bags. I called Airlift and the rep guided me to the correct kit according to the measurements I gave him. Bags are 3" diameter x 5.5" height, fit inside the spring and can handle up to 1000 lbs to reduce sag and handle extra loads. Kit comes with all hoses and hardware and I'll see if I can mount the fill valve inside the gas door or second choice would be inside rear bumper cover. According to what I've read, the resulting issue in removing the SLS pistons and replacing with regular shocks would be sag and/or lowered rear end height. I ordered shocks and bags from Amazon for under $150 and will work on the mods later this week. I'm almost done with the brake line replacement for the rear and hope to finish that tomorrow. I'll update when done with results and pix.
(I thought about using air-shocks but the shocks diameter would rub against the sway bar links)
Old 11-05-2015, 06:08 PM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
SLS delete/mod/update

Follow up on my last post. The 5.5" airbags were not the answer. After completing the installation, I found the car was still too low in the rear.
I removed the 5.5" bags and replaced them with 8" bags. Problem solved. Car rides better than ever and ride height is perfect. I posted a complete write up with pictures on the "other" Benz forum with part numbers and instructions, if anyone is interested.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E320 4Matic Wagon and 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by James Sullo
Follow up on my last post. The 5.5" airbags were not the answer. After completing the installation, I found the car was still too low in the rear.
I removed the 5.5" bags and replaced them with 8" bags. Problem solved. Car rides better than ever and ride height is perfect. I posted a complete write up with pictures on the "other" Benz forum with part numbers and instructions, if anyone is interested.
What other forum?
Old 01-28-2016, 09:22 AM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
Rear suspension air bags

Look for my post on benzworld
Old 05-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Two 2000 e320 Wagon, 2000 E320 sedan, 2003 E320 Sport Sedan, 2010 Rclass plus 5 porschs and a lambo
Can you provide the link to the post on the other forum. Also, can you provide a link for the parts you bought.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:28 PM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
link for rear shock replacement

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...version-2.html
Old 05-30-2016, 12:37 PM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
Once on that site, keep scrolling to find my post's and then continue on to see pix of installation. As for the airbag kit, you will have to modify the hard plastic spacer to fit inside the spring. The spacer goes in between the upper spring perch and provides a cushion for the air bag. In hindsight, I would consider making the spacers out of plastic pvc pipe with a couple of rounded plugs at each end. As long as you can get the spacer to jam into the opening on the upper spring perch so they don't move or rattle.
The following users liked this post:
lowpue (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Two 2000 e320 Wagon, 2000 E320 sedan, 2003 E320 Sport Sedan, 2010 Rclass plus 5 porschs and a lambo
James....thanks so much. This was really useful and quite informative. One other question...you seem to be a master mechanic, is this something a DIY person that is a weekend putser can do. How many hours did it take and what is the degree of difficulty?
Old 05-30-2016, 02:47 PM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
The actual nuts and bolts of it all are not that difficult. Yes I am a retired auto tech and the reason I went in this direction was because the hydraulic suspension lines and control valve ($500 for the valve) on my car appeared to be badly rusting, so it was just a matter of time that I would spring a leak. I bypassed the lines at the left front wheel since the power steering pump also works in conjunction with the hydraulic shocks. If you plan on doing the conversion, there is a bit of trial and error. I did the conversion over the course of two weeks, but I was also replacing fuel and brake lines at the same time. With planning, I think a DYI weekend project is reasonable provided you have all the parts you'll need for the conversion. As for the hydraulic fluid, you must use approved fluid and not power steering fluid even after the conversion. You will also see in the pictures that I fed the air lines for the bags through the lower control arm covers and was careful to route them so they would not interfere with suspension movement. The air bags are working out very well even though I occasionally have to top off the air pressure as they tend to leak small amounts for some reason. Not a big deal for me and I'm pleased with the finished product and the total cost was under $250. You can email me direct at
sullojames@gmail.com and I'll try and help you out if need be.
The following users liked this post:
completelymobie (12-27-2016)
Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 AM

E320 wagon 1998
Hey how are you nice job on the shock conversion...I have 98 wagon..I'm doing the same as your wagon..I need a direction on where exactly you drilled the whole on the LCA?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:25 PM

2000 E320 4matic wagon
Spacers/update

Originally Posted by James Sullo
Once on that site, keep scrolling to find my post's and then continue on to see pix of installation. As for the airbag kit, you will have to modify the hard plastic spacer to fit inside the spring. The spacer goes in between the upper spring perch and provides a cushion for the air bag. In hindsight, I would consider making the spacers out of plastic pvc pipe with a couple of rounded plugs at each end. As long as you can get the spacer to jam into the opening on the upper spring perch so they don't move or rattle.
The correct spacers can be had from AirLift part # 09558 (you'll need 2, one for each airbag) I spoke with Kevin at AirLift 1800 248 0892 x 1007. These spacers are from a kit for a 2005 ford focus that comes with 5" bags which are not long enough to be effective. Gotta have the longer bag to fit the span inside the spring using the spacer from the focus on top of the bag. Hope this helps.