E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Comfort Difference?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Comfort Difference?????

Having upsized from 18" to 19", I noticed that I can feel the effects of minor bumps much much more nowadays, especially over manhole covers and joints on the flyovers (not sure if you guys have those in the US). Although the car handles like its on rails now (and I love it), its lost a lot of comfort - another reason not to make my GF pregnant ......

I've been told it could be the change in tires - I went from Yokos to Dunlop SP9000. But does a reduction in tire height of 1" (1/2" on the side taking load actually) really make that much difference on comfort? I'm sure there wasn't such a big difference going from 16" to 17" or 17" to 18".

Just curious.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Re: Comfort Difference?????

Originally posted by Whitey
Having upsized from 18" to 19", I noticed that I can feel the effects of minor bumps much much more nowadays, especially over manhole covers and joints on the flyovers (not sure if you guys have those in the US). Although the car handles like its on rails now (and I love it), its lost a lot of comfort - another reason not to make my GF pregnant ......

I've been told it could be the change in tires - I went from Yokos to Dunlop SP9000. But does a reduction in tire height of 1" (1/2" on the side taking load actually) really make that much difference on comfort? I'm sure there wasn't such a big difference going from 16" to 17" or 17" to 18".

Just curious.
Less rubber = stiffer ride. 19's look sweet as long as you can bare the rougher ride. This is a reason I chose to go no larger than 18". Certain tires may appear to ride softer but it's possible they wear faster as well.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Yeah, I agree Mich, 18's are probably a good balance in terms of comfort and performance. 19's and up are probably for more hardcore performance guys. 19's definitely look noticeably better on the W210.

For those who are considering, the difference in handling between 18's and 19's is very noticeable but yep, ride is rougher and you'll need to put up with it - I personally don't mind it but I'm sure the ladies will have something to say....eventho its not like there's no suspension at all
Old 02-26-2004, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Flyover??? Would this be a "speed-bump"?? If so, were I live there friggin everywhere!!! Use to have a set of 19" AMG Mono's...really filled in the gaps well, just got tired of seeing them around town specially during service time at the dealership. My current set-up maybe too old school for some, but they work for me...would luv to go back to 19", but I'll wait since a key source @ Brabus tells me they're releasing a new wheel soon.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by Richard023
Flyover??? Would this be a "speed-bump"?? If so, were I live there friggin everywhere!!! Use to have a set of 19" AMG Mono's...really filled in the gaps well, just got tired of seeing them around town specially during service time at the dealership. My current set-up maybe too old school for some, but they work for me...would luv to go back to 19", but I'll wait since a key source @ Brabus tells me they're releasing a new wheel soon.
"Flyover" = bridge or overpass i.e. so you can have a road, "flyover" another...... these and some highways are built peice by peice (and perhaps also to allow for expansion in different temperatures) so these have joints intermittently - it is over these joints that I feel the bumps most.

Yeah, AMG monos are getting monotnous these days. BTW what wheels do you have now Rich? I still haven't seen any full pics of your hot ride dude (other than your CF lip and projectors!)
Old 02-26-2004, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by Richard023
"Flyover" = bridge or overpass i.e. so you can have a road, "flyover" another...... these and some highways are built peice by peice (and perhaps also to allow for expansion in different temperatures) so these have joints intermittently - it is over these joints that I feel the bumps most.

Yeah, AMG monos are getting monotnous these days. BTW what wheels do you have now Rich? I still haven't seen any full pics of your hot ride dude (other than your CF lip and projectors!)

Wow, new wheels from Brabus....about time! Wonder if Movens are going to do a take on these..........
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Whitey

Wow, new wheels from Brabus....about time! Wonder if Movens are going to do a take on these..........
OK, now I remember what they are :p Not much into posting pics, but I did post on benzworld a pic of my newly installed pre-painted markers...yeah, Brabus is keeping a tight lip on the release date & style.

Ohh...Brabus mono 3 multi-piece black center, 18x8.5 - 18x10.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I luuuuuuv the Brabus III Multi-pc but never been able to get a hold of a set before they stopped making them . Dronell makes a similar wheel but that got discontinued too
Old 02-27-2004, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Whatever, I actually like the tighter ride and look of 19's over 18's but that's my opinion. Don't get me wrong, 18's are nice as well but 19's just complete the package for me. I think the car just sits nicer and the wheels fill in the fenders wells a lot better as well. Dave, I must say this is the nicest set of wheels that you have put on your car thus far. Congrats!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jimmydagreek
Whatever, I actually like the tighter ride and look of 19's over 18's but that's my opinion. Don't get me wrong, 18's are nice as well but 19's just complete the package for me. I think the car just sits nicer and the wheels fill in the fenders wells a lot better as well. Dave, I must say this is the nicest set of wheels that you have put on your car thus far. Congrats!
My thoughts exactly!!! It's unfortunate that Brabus doesn't manufacture the mono III multi-piece in 19"...the 20" IMHO would be overkill... Yeah but I've got a good feeling that Dave is gonna pull another one of his "What do you guys think of this wheel" post sometime soon :p
Old 02-29-2004, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Hahhahahahah!!! Waiting for Brabus to put out some new ones.........