E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

is this normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2004 | 02:11 PM

1997 E420, 1983 300D
is this normal?

after my "lamp defective" warning came on I began poking around the rear light housings for the brake lights. I noticed at that point that I only have 1 bulb for the rear fog lights on the trunk lid. On the right side there is still a plastic slug covering where the bulb would be. Is this normal?
By the way, my lamp defective warning comes on only occasionally, and I haven't noticed a bulb out (and yes i looked at the license bulbs). it's probably a loose connection as discussed on other threads. Any advise besides tearing all the trunk carpet out? That warning has to be the most annoying thing about the car - a burned out bulb isn't deserving of blanking out the clock, odometer, etc!
Old 02-25-2004 | 02:21 PM

W204 C300 2010
Yes, single fog lamp bulb is normal. Typically the case for most Geman autos. I have noticed some Jaguars use two, left/right, looks like the brake lights are stuck on.

As for the bulb indicator, the taillght bulb holder, the part that screws on to the back of the housiing, sometimes the eletrical contacts loose connection sporatically. For instance, in the morning you start the car, drive to work, just about the time you get there, the warning comes on. You get out, check the bulbs, and the next time everything is good again. By taking the bulb holders out, a new connection is made. Only thing, sometimes some oxidation or some other build up between the contact points is more severe, then problem keeps happening. Before ripping all of the trunk carpet out, try to remove all the bulbs/holders, and inspect the contacts. Use a #2 pencil eraser to clean the contact points, and bent them up for a litttle more pressure.

I have aftermarket Avantgarde taillights, I had a similiar problem. But now everything seems to be good.

Rob Lee
Old 02-25-2004 | 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Have a look at the front fog lights. The connectors there are questionable and there is an improved connector available. Of course the lamp warning would only come on in this case if your front fogs are turned on
Old 02-26-2004 | 09:05 AM

Mercedes W210 E280
Yep..single fog at the rear is the norm. Was scratching my head one day when i found out about it. Looks cool when its on..wonder whetehr the plastic slug can be taken out and replaced with a bulb.
Old 02-26-2004 | 02:54 PM

MY2004 E320
Re: is this normal?

Originally posted by galleryvw
after my "lamp defective" warning came on ... That warning has to be the most annoying thing about the car - a burned out bulb isn't deserving of blanking out the clock, odometer, etc!
You can press reset (R) switch under clock setting buttons to get rid of it until you turn your ignition off again. I had a Xenon bulb go out on my headlamp...and boy what an expensive pain in the rear they run. th warning ran me nuts until I discovered that pressing (R) button get rids of it until next start. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2004 | 07:00 PM

1997 E420, 1983 300D
the fog lights seem fine, actually all the lights seem fine - the last 2 times I drove the car the warning didn't come on. if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess. i did notice the "r" button resets the display - what a relief, i like to know just how late for work i am each day by my clock.

v