E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

I need to program smartkey, anybody know how?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'96 E300D
I need to program smartkey, anybody know how?

I bought a remote on ebay and have problems making it work. Can you help me?
Also is it possible for bearings to go bad after 88 Kmilles? The car is a little loud. Maybe tires?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Regardless what people tell you, the key is not repgorammable.

The way Mercedes build (smart) key is that when it leave the manufacture, it is in "Virgin" state, not bind to any car. The first car the key being inserted to will program the key for that car. You don't really need your VIN to order a smart key. It's ROM, so not programmable.

You only need VIN to order the blade (mechanical key).

No one, even dealer, can reprogram the key, not that they're not capable, it is just that the key wasn't designed to be reprogrammed.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:59 AM

'96 E300D
But can the car be learned to recognize that key?
Thnaks.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Originally posted by Kichus
But can the car be learned to recognize that key?
Thnaks.
Did you not read the response?

The keys unfortunately are ONT TIME PROGRAM only...
Old 03-03-2004, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Sorry, can't be recognized to your car.

here's what you have to do to get a new key:

Go to your dealer and go to the parts counter. Bring your registration and ID with you, as they need to verify that you are the owner of the car.

Then they will put in an order to Germany to get a copy of your key (about $250 for a new smartkey, $200 for the valet smartkey). Takes a few days.

When it gets there, they will need your car to program it to match your current ignition codes/computer. It can either be fast or slow...depending on something. (do a search, some people have had keys programmed).

Each smartkey ignition is limited to 8 sets of key...so after 8, you need to replace the module and such. So don't lose or break the keys!
Old 03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Couple things I need to correct, since this's happened with my car:

* There's no such thing as sending order to Gemany. Benz USA have plently of them in stock, actually, some dealer even have it in stock. Just that they keep it pretty tight, in case it get into wrong hand and people use it to program key for cars that aren't theirs. You need paper work of your car is because dealer don't want key being sold to any Joe on the street. As the matter of fact, most dealer would prefer to program the key for you (take about 1 seconds), to prevent you from program that virgin key for other Benz instead.

* The way you "Program" the key is that you stick it in the ignition key slot of your car. And that's it. !!.

* The first car the (virgin) key being inserted to will program (bind) the key for that car. Due to rolling code security, each car is limit to being able to program/bind virgin key only 8 times.

The smart key work the same way as the smart (security) card. Sound hard to belive, but yep.

Originally posted by GDawgC220
Sorry, can't be recognized to your car.

here's what you have to do to get a new key:

Go to your dealer and go to the parts counter. Bring your registration and ID with you, as they need to verify that you are the owner of the car.

Then they will put in an order to Germany to get a copy of your key (about $250 for a new smartkey, $200 for the valet smartkey). Takes a few days.

When it gets there, they will need your car to program it to match your current ignition codes/computer. It can either be fast or slow...depending on something. (do a search, some people have had keys programmed).

Each smartkey ignition is limited to 8 sets of key...so after 8, you need to replace the module and such. So don't lose or break the keys!
Old 03-03-2004, 04:55 PM

'96 E300D
Thank you guys for yout explanation. Now I got it. $250 sounds little expensive but what can you do. Thanks anyway.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by zam2000
Couple things I need to correct, since this's happened with my car:

* There's no such thing as sending order to Gemany. Benz USA have plently of them in stock, actually, some dealer even have it in stock. Just that they keep it pretty tight, in case it get into wrong hand and people use it to program key for cars that aren't theirs. You need paper work of your car is because dealer don't want key being sold to any Joe on the street. As the matter of fact, most dealer would prefer to program the key for you (take about 1 seconds), to prevent you from program that virgin key for other Benz instead.
When I had a key replaced, thats what they told me.

* The way you "Program" the key is that you stick it in the ignition key slot of your car. And that's it. !!.
Try searching for some posts...from what i've read, some take a min some take hours to do. Why, I don't know, but that's what I read.

* The first car the (virgin) key being inserted to will program (bind) the key for that car. Due to rolling code security, each car is limit to being able to program/bind virgin key only 8 times.
Yes, I know that.

The smart key work the same way as the smart (security) card. Sound hard to belive, but yep.