E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Unsure what it is

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
87 190e 2.3-16v Cosworth; 2000 E320 Saloon
Unsure what it is

So my E320 seems to have lost a step or two of power. It idles ok. but I'm starting to feel a little stutter every so often in regular acceleration. Not pronounced, a passenger wouldn't even notice but I do. Oil changes are done at proper intervals. I keep the maintenance up. It has 157k at this point. Does that sound like a Timing Chain related item?

I'm preparing for the worst as this has been my most troublesome European car to date. Not trying to get into the whole "Buy Japanese" debate as I have been driving Euros for 20 years (BMW primarily, Audi, Land Rover and now Mercedes) so I'm familiar. But my car in particular has been an overly needy Mistress so I'm on edge about it because every time I fix one thing 3 more pop up.

Any ideas on what you think my issue could be? No CELs or anything
Old 06-13-2016, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
No CEL doesn't mean you don't have pending codes.
You need to tell more about car records.
How old are plug, MAF, CPS ?
When was the last time you replaced pilot bushing?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:50 AM

I don't have records on it but supposedly the plugs were done a couple of years ago at 130k before I bought it. Not sure on the MAF. CPS? Have not replaced the Pilot Bushing myself.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Start with checking the codes and pulling the plug.
I bought our wagon close to 150k and having some records, I assumed plugs have been replaced.
But at 160k I was doing breather seal and pulled the plugs. THEY WERE ORIGINALS.
Funny new plugs did not change the performance, nor mpg.
Anyway, MAF on those cars can be consider wearable, so at one point you might want to get new one and see if it will make a change.
If you see any oil residue around pilot bushing, or at wire harness in electronic coffin, do new bushing ASAP
Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Check forum for ECU/tranny reset - just 4 minutes to do - EZ - restores agressive factory defaults.

Good tip in the plugs - no pun - you can pull one and check condition - OE replacement Bosch 7422 if I recall correctly.

If it was me - I would also do a "Italian cleanup" on the injection side - replace fuel filter - Bosch or Mann only not China knockoff - and use a good fuel system/injection cleaner Stabil Marine 22239 avail in UK - 1/2 bottle after fresh filter - another 1/2 bottle 5K miles later.

Fresh air filter - Mann/Bosch/Hengst

If MAF is/was going too far off spec - then coming to a braked stop the engine RPM's will "drop" below idle - almost a "choking" feeling - then appear to catch itself to jump up a bit above normal idle - then at that braked stop kindof "surge/search" between idle too high - then drop too low - over around a 150-250 RPM range

Keep the beat mate !
Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Start with checking the codes and pulling the plug.
I bought our wagon close to 150k and having some records, I assumed plugs have been replaced.
But at 160k I was doing breather seal and pulled the plugs. THEY WERE ORIGINALS.
Funny new plugs did not change the performance, nor mpg.
Anyway, MAF on those cars can be consider wearable, so at one point you might want to get new one and see if it will make a change.
If you see any oil residue around pilot bushing, or at wire harness in electronic coffin, do new bushing ASAP
I'll look into this, thanks!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Check forum for ECU/tranny reset - just 4 minutes to do - EZ - restores agressive factory defaults.

Good tip in the plugs - no pun - you can pull one and check condition - OE replacement Bosch 7422 if I recall correctly.

If it was me - I would also do a "Italian cleanup" on the injection side - replace fuel filter - Bosch or Mann only not China knockoff - and use a good fuel system/injection cleaner Stabil Marine 22239 avail in UK - 1/2 bottle after fresh filter - another 1/2 bottle 5K miles later.

Fresh air filter - Mann/Bosch/Hengst

If MAF is/was going too far off spec - then coming to a braked stop the engine RPM's will "drop" below idle - almost a "choking" feeling - then appear to catch itself to jump up a bit above normal idle - then at that braked stop kindof "surge/search" between idle too high - then drop too low - over around a 150-250 RPM range

Keep the beat mate !
I probably do need to change the fuel filter. I've always kept high quality 93 octane fuel in it and I do a Lucas Oil FI Cleaner once a season. Not sure about the MAF as it's not felt during stopping, just sometimes acceleration. I did the reset (5 secs pedal to floor, etc) yesterday and haven't felt it since. Could that have been the issue? Myself, my wife and I all have different driving styles and they were driving it a lot for a while. Could that have "confused" the programming?