E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Fuel Regulator Hose Part Number? P0170?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Fuel Regulator Hose Part Number? P0170?

So I have been chasing a P0170 code. Bank 1 Position 1 . My EPC and WIS are on another cpu away from me and I can't find the part info for it online. I saw the other thread that said the regulator is in the fuel filter. If so, what are the parts these hoses connects to?

I have checked all my hoses for leaks and the only one I found is the right hand side of this hose is shredding at the end, leaking. Could this throw my P0170?

What does this hose do? What does those round parts do?

Can anyone verify this part number?

Barely legible I have 2 numbers on top:
or

Not my pic but a good one to illustrate.

Any help or explanation would be great!

TG

Last edited by Tall Giraffe; 01-02-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
98 E320, 02 LS430
The one that the yellow arrows point to are the vacuum control hose for the check valves (those round things at both sides). The big one under the hose is the secondary air injection pump. These items provide air injection to exhaust port to improve emissions when the engine is cold. The system runs only for 90 seconds to 2 minutes. It has likely to be nothing to do with P0170.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrboca:
raymond g- (01-25-2017), Tall Giraffe (01-02-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
A quick bump. Still been searching multiple sites but cant find a clean part number for the highlighted hose in my original post. Is this vacuum hose to be replaced with generic hose?
Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
have you checked the Russian exploded parts catalogs, or via MBUSA EPC? it
may be specific to your car to a simple part number for the hose for my E320
may not be suitable for your VIN. It would be under INTAKE/EXHAUST
MANIFOLD section...then under AIR PUMP i believe.

several parts diagram/engines are indexed in the Benzworld STICKYs
The following users liked this post:
Tall Giraffe (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Thank you raymond g- I completely forgot about the Russian EPC. I have a copy of WIS and EPC but apparently need to update VMware since I updated my MAC. When I entered my VIN for supreme accuracy on Russian EPC, I can not locate the proper Group number for the intake/exhaust manifold but I think the hose is pretty generic to the M113.

Answer is A1179970982

Now I am off to tackling the stubborn P0170!!
Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
yeah, that's what I was seeing also. is that a complete, one piece hose all the
way across from one device to the other? on one diagram it almost seemed to
show it as a long center piece, with two short pieces on each end...which seemed
a bit odd to me i.e. when a simple, one piece would do

...and, if you're not otherwise feeling there are any vacuum leaks, that trouble
code usually is a MAF sensor code (clean and/or replace)
Old 01-27-2017, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
If you look at the pic, where you see the yellow circle on the left hand side of the tubing before then Y to the pump below, its a connector piece. So when you pull that side apart you will see a yellow tube inside. So its the white tube from the pump below to the Y to the longer piece to connect to the other side.

P0170

New Genuine MAF- CEL still. Right bank O2 changed -CEL still. 2 full tanks of gas with Marine Sta-Bil - CEL still. New gas cap with tab adjustment (loose cap before) - CEL still. All top side hoses in and around throttle body / MAF replaced recently checked for secure fits. Fuel Filter has 50k on it so far- I have a new on on reserve in the garage. Reset CEL after each change, light comes on still after a few starts.

What I notice:

Near empty tank light, will go off momentarily. Fill tank, light on again. Even with new gas cap, bottom half wet with gas. Hotter ambient temperatures or harder driving springs light after reset. Rough Idle. About 85% of cars power with light. Reset light, bat out of hell till compensation fails.

Next Steps:

Fuel Guage and Inspect, clean Pro Dry S filter. Inspect for more vaccuum leaks around engine.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Tall Giraffe; 01-27-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
So over the weekend I did a few things in a quest of ridding my P0170.

First thing I did was replace the check valve hose from side to side. I searched a few auto parts store looking for the 3.5 mm but could not find one so I subbed a 3.2 mm to at least stop the vaccuum leak while I order the right size. Its a fuel line and barely fits. See the split?

It only changed the rough idle upon start up slightly. After tons of reading, it appears that if that hose is compromised, it can allow oil and air to mix in the system into MAF from the driver side of the breather cover. Still CEL.

So then I started to hunt for more possibilities. Took apart the new MAF, inspected the elbow and hose from the left breather cover.

See the sludge? Its sticky like glue and it was behind the lower elbow seal. I took all of it apart and used dish soap to clean both the elbow, inlet from breather and seal. Traced the hose back and breather and removed the hose. I replaced the hose when I resealed the breathe cover but the hose was brittle at the breather but fine at the MAF inlet. While trying to look inside the hose it split but not split open so on the order list now. I sprayed MAF cleaner down the hose to clean the sticky. Put it all back together and pulled batt over night to clear.

Todays start was rough and until the car warmed it smoothes out. Still does not feel 100% but no light after some highway travel and my average trims are +5% on both banks at load.

I cant tell if the idle is 100% smooth and my problems truly developed after I installed X Pipe and resonator delete.

Last edited by Tall Giraffe; 01-29-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
To update the thread for the P0170 troubleshooters. Light came on again this time with his friend P0173 so I decided to replace the fuel filter with a Mann. I had a Bosch last time and so far the light is gone even after a few highway trips. Fingers crossed however my PSE pump died same day. sigh.

Last edited by Tall Giraffe; 02-04-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
I hope you're able to get the car running smoothly soon. sorry that the
gremlins are surfacing and creating work for you at the moment. r-
Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Thanks raymond-g. I cleaned the new MAF just to be sure since P0173 came along this time for the first time and I think the fuel filter killed both issues finally. I have an offer on a PSE on fleebay and I also suspect that my motor mounts are in need for replacement again. Vibrations in R & D as well as at the light just like last times symptoms. The currents were OEM replaced about 3 years ago so this time, I'm going with W211 Cortecos.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Well after about 3 days of driving optimism, CEL P0170 came back again.

This time it came on when approaching a stop light but usually does when the light has been reset.

Back to more trouble shooting.....
Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
Did you ever get this figured out? I just got a p0173 the other day.

Recently cleaned the MAF, throttle body and put in a new MANN fuel filter last fall.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 c300 sport
I myself have been head on with those infamous codes. Initially, my IM gave in when car reached ...around 130km.
Upon a new IM installation, those 2 codes welcomed me. Following parts have been replaced do to vacuum leak related'

A new air filter housing, a new map (Manifold Absolute Pressure), codes remain.
A new Bosch Maf sensor was replaced, codes remain BUT the air filter housing WAS NOT correctly installed, (I later discovered it when I worked on car this past Sunday).
Juts to give you an idea, here's some works which I did 2 days ago. I decided to remove the elbow air duct hose and Maf sensor but did not disconnect it from power.
I inspected the TB and sprayed good amount of CRC on a clean rag and thorough cleaned the elbow pipe or hose some of us call it.

Once I confirmed that the elbow pipe and Maf were nicely fit I then noticed that the Maf is not sitting Flat and that's how it is suppose to be...watch out for that.
So I proceeded to the next Crucial part, the air filter housing. This is where Most of us make a huge error, if it's NOT correctly installed, chances are CEL will show up on your dash.
and usually 99% P0170 and P0173 codes will appear on your scanner. Once you are happy that it is fine to move on then swing over that wire Clip which drove me nuts a while back.
Don't forget that one big vacuum hose with arrow pointing in....common error, too. Carefully attach those air inlet tubes, one each side...no air leaks out.

Now grab your best scanner, first erase stored Codes then Read ...at this moment as to what took place to my car...the P0173 has left..at least for now...yay!!
What happened next I erased P0170 waited few minutes and started the car. Came to my surprise, car idles so much better and I could feel the acceleration is there for you when needed.
I am still a bit nervous but knock on wood as they say. If all is well, I plan changing both coils and plugs next project and few more overdue parts.

Car drives pretty Normal now with quicker response, I even pedaled to 80mph ...I was crazy. Hope this will help others out there with similar issues. Later guys.
The following users liked this post:
jamalmalik (08-30-2021)