E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

New to MBW and i need help :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 mercedes E320
New to MBW and i need help :(

So i have a e320 2002 and my locks or trunk release will not work on either the remote or inside of the car. When i remove the rear seat to gwt to the vacuum pump for the locks and i press the unlock and lock button on my remote i feel it click but dont hear the motor running or see the locks moving. Can anyone give me advise on what to do next or what could be the problem, i need my things out of my trunk.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W210 forum...
Old 01-14-2017, 02:04 AM

2002 mercedes E320
Originally Posted by MJ50
moved to W210 forum...
Wat?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 717 Likes on 698 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by importracer19
Wat?
moved your thread from "New Member" forum to "E-Class (W210)" forum...
Old 01-14-2017, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
If i remember correctly, the pump emits positive pressure to unlock and negative pressure
(vacuum) to lock. if you have a failed pump, it may not be providing the necessary air
pressure to cycle to locks or rear headrest function.

you can CAREFULLY remove the corresponding hose terminal and try activating the switch
to determine if the pump is providing the appropriate air to that hose and systematically
check each terminal

the fact that your trunk AND door locks are not cycling seem to indicate that the pump
is at fault since the aforementioned appliances are across different terminals (my guess)

PSE pump seems to have a so-so life span and reports of them fading are reported on
the various w210 forums. in addition, it is located in a highly vulnerable spot, ie in a
sunken location where water intrusion can easily sabotage its operation. so be sure you
check for any indications of moisture (discoloration, dampness, water spots, electrical
anomalies associated with fuses/relay in that area (also highly vulnerable) being short
circuited by moisture
Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You have 2 threads - same subject - and let me try to help.

Same reply below as in your 2nd thread..
----------------------------------------

It is COMMON for the trunk lock cylinder to "freeze" from non-use - meaning you can insert the key blade - but the key blade will not turn to proper position to unlock the trunk.

1) For your reference - you can download the Owners Manual for your 2002 E-Class from the mbusa.com website under Owners Section.

2) I have attached the correct page from the Owners Manual - please see attachment - key needs to be turned left to approx 10:30 position - and pushed in at 10:30 position will unlock trunk

3) If your key won't turn the lock - you need two things -

a) a Penetrating Lubricant Spray Can with small tube to spray into the lock - like PB Blaster from a auto parts store or Break Free from a gun/sports store - a local auto parts store or gun store

b) PATIENCE - or you will break the key off if the cyclinder - spray the sh*t out of the lock - wait 10 minutes - work the key with even pressure towards 10:30 - after 2 minutes of that - spray the sh*t out of the lock again - wait another 10 minutes - work the key with even pressure again - repeat - repeat - after 4 or five times (don't LOSE patience) - if it is not free spray the sh*t out of it again - and come back 2-3 hrs later - work it again - if still frozen spray the sh*t out of it again - walk away - get drunk - pass out - and try it when you wake up in the morning and it will be easy to unlock.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W210 TRUNK LOCK (1).pdf (47.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:40 PM

2002 mercedes E320
Originally Posted by raymond g-
If i remember correctly, the pump emits positive pressure to unlock and negative pressure
(vacuum) to lock. if you have a failed pump, it may not be providing the necessary air
pressure to cycle to locks or rear headrest function.

you can CAREFULLY remove the corresponding hose terminal and try activating the switch
to determine if the pump is providing the appropriate air to that hose and systematically
check each terminal

the fact that your trunk AND door locks are not cycling seem to indicate that the pump
is at fault since the aforementioned appliances are across different terminals (my guess)

PSE pump seems to have a so-so life span and reports of them fading are reported on
the various w210 forums. in addition, it is located in a highly vulnerable spot, ie in a
sunken location where water intrusion can easily sabotage its operation. so be sure you
check for any indications of moisture (discoloration, dampness, water spots, electrical
anomalies associated with fuses/relay in that area (also highly vulnerable) being short
circuited by moisture
I replaced the pump and it was working and the trunk was but then it sounded like it died and never worked again