E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 shaking at a complete stop and when turning the steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E320 (w210) rwd
Unhappy W210 shaking at a complete stop and when turning the steering wheel.

just picked up a 2001 Mercedes Benz e320 rwd a month ago and i cant for the life of me figure out why the inside of the car keeps shaking, i sighned up on this forum in hopes of getting some information. This car had multiple missfires when i bought it so the first thing i did was i replaced the spark plugs and the coils and surely after that the check engine light went away and the codes went away as well. So thats the only thing I've done to my car since i bought it and it didnt really help, so going back to the original problem, when i turn the car on you instantly feel the vibration and shaking on the steering wheel, and i dont think its engine related at all, it also gets significantly worse when you turn the steering wheel left or right, again this is when the car is parked. it also gets worse when i put the car in reverse and in drive its the same thing as in park but when i give it gas and start to pick up speed the shaking completely disappears, especially on the highway i dont feel anything at all, its very comfortable, this only happens when my car is completely still. i read a couple of other forums and people were saying to replace the transmission and engine mounts but i dont think that the problem because i gave it gas when the hood was open and the engine didnt move one bit. i also read another forum where this guy had exactly the same symptoms as me and he fixed it by replacing front axle shaft, i think that might be the problem but before i tackle this on i want to know if anyone has had the same problem as me because i dont want to drop a bunch of money on parts not knowing what the problem is 100%. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W210 forum...
Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tesla model S
Sometimes we need to be saved from ourselves, take it to a professional for a diagnosis - doesn't mean you have to pay them for the repair but let some one who does this for a living tell you what the problem is then you can make a decision on how to go about repairing it - good luck.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly...all at a braked stop... start the car.. which is in Park.. feels "allright" then when switch to Drive = "Vibration"... then switch to Neutral = "allright" ... then switch from Neutral to Reverse = "Vibration" - then a LOT of the vibration you have is from failed engine mounts.

Generally - Lemfoerder/Sach-Boge are the recommended brand replacement mounts - the other China/no-brand/quasi-brand mounts fail quite quickly.

Now - this test doesn't show ALL vibration issues - but identifies failed mounts as a Primary vibration cause.

On plugs/coils - so you know in hindsight - not very common for multiple coils to fail at the same time - can it happen - yes - but rare to have multiples.

Failed engine mounts/vibration can become over time a accelerating cause of misfires - as the wiring gets shaken to **** - leading to wire misconnections at the coils...

Keep the beat !