E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

I just love my Beast ... but for all that money you'd think ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
I just love my Beast ... but for all that money you'd think ...

1. There would be a light in the center console storage compartment (between the front seats) so you could see in there at night without having to turn on the overhead stadium light;

2. That damn self-dimming rear-view mirror ... now how does MB expect us to recognize the lights of that Crown-Victoria coming hard on our 6? (I took one of those colored adhesive dots you can buy at any office supply store and took a black permanent marker to it ... covers up the sensor in the rear-view perfectly and you can hardly notice its there. If the lights from behind are too bright ... up goes the rear sunshade);

3. Cupholders? Is that what they are? (enough said)

4. Smart-Key auto window/sunroof open/close ... could actually function without having to get close enough to the car to be seared by the heat coming off the sheet metal;

5. the damn sunroof would close as easily as it opens; how much harder or more expensive could it have been to have engineered that one in?

6. the damn steering wheel would move out of my way when I shut off the car like 'comprable' luxo cars. (I know its my fault my *** is big, but for all that $ I paid for the damn car ... MOVE!

Ok, I feel better. I think I'm done (for now anyway).

Oh, yeah ... one more thing:

7. $75K to pamper my *** in luxury while I'm on the road ... and even kiss it a little when I come in for service ... but you'd think my Dealer, who's Grandchildren don't have to work a day in their little spoiled lives because of all the cars I bought from him over the years, could see it in his heart to let me borrow a 'Benz for the day my cars in for service (heck, I'd even make do with a C-Class ... well its only for a few hours anyway).

But Noooooooooooo ... my 'loaner' is a freakin' Ford Focus from the Enterprise Car Rental 'kiosk' located next to the bathrooms.

Damn. Now I have a headache. (you probably do too )

Any gripes with your 'Benz?
Old 11-26-2001, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Damn Drew, did your beast not please you over this weekend?? Maybe the sex wasnt that good

Anyways, you covered all the gripes pretty well- I agree with each and every one of them. Nothing really that would ever make me change my purchase decision and I know you concur. Now if you complained about the power, fit and finish, comfort, looks, etc. that would be different. But you didnt so I guess you are still happy with your purchase because I sure am.

Here some things you might have forgotten:

1. The sunshade tends to hit the rear window at the top and makes marks (only if tinted).

2. Door Panels that are so tight to the window glass they scratch the tint (of course only if tinted).

3. Not that great of a factory stereo system for a 75k car.

But like I said these things are easy to overcome and the ability to pull 13+ second quarters and 5 second zero to sixty romps in what has been deemed an "Old Man's" looking car makes it all the worth while.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
The C32 has one touch open/close sunroof. It also has a move on exit seat + Steering wheel.

Drew,

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2001 CLK55 from a friend at a great price.

Can you tell me what you love about the CLK?

Why are you trading your E55 for one?

With ball joint steering and an out a date body that will be replaced next year, I wonder why people are still buying these things new.

If I decided to purchase it, I will have it by the weekend.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Drew!

Are you trading in your E55 for a CLK55?? Or are you just venting??
Old 11-26-2001, 05:56 PM

Sell my Beast???

... never (well, at least not until the E50 AMG hits our shores).

JR: I don't know if your setting me up for 'punch-line-to-follow', or if your just mistaken, but I absolutely love my car, and have never even considered getting anything else since I took my first test-drive in it. I did consider a CLK55 before I test drove the E55, but I knocked-up my old lady shortly thereafter with our first child, and I'm just getting to old to be dragging car seats and diaper bags and toys over/around/behind folding front buckets.

Ask Simon for his thoughts on CLK55 vs. E55 ... he's owned both. All I know is he took my Beast for a spin one night, and a few weeks later he owned one himself.

I haven't had a single problem with my Beast in our 13K ear-to-ear grin-miles together (the sound you hear in the background is me knocking on wood). I can't afford to get what I really want, 2-cars: a sports car and luxury car. The E55 AMG gives me both ... whenever I want ... and I only have to wash 1-car when I'm done.

When I make observations like I did in my post ... I call it being CONSTRUCTIVELY-CRITICAL (my Wife calls it something else .... ****!).

FYI: All '01 E-Class Models have Rack-and-Pinion with power-assist and hydraulic dampers.

Last edited by Drew; 11-26-2001 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
My mistake.

I was blurring posts together. It has Accord who is getting a CLK55.

Here I go starting rumors again
Old 11-26-2001, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
JR, get the CLK55, send it to Kleemann for the supercharger (Close to 600Hp, 545 ft lbs torque). Then go to the drag stip and whipe everything out !
Old 11-29-2001, 12:04 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55, 2005 525i
Talking

Drew,

What could you be looking for in the center console?

At 100+ you should not be worrying about who's in your rearview. Not very many cars including Crown-Victorias!

Cars were made to be driven, not to be eaten or drunken in. Get rid of the cupholders!

Again, at 100+ too much noise from the sunroof being open.

This is not a Lincoln with moving steering wheels, lose weight and you will go faster (remember body to weight ratio).

And last but not least, do not take the Ford Focus, take the Buick Rivera.

Hee, Hee, Hee.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by MikeC
What could you be looking for in the center console?
For my licensed Firearm, of course (after all, this is Florida, a State that recognizes a law abiding citizens legal, moral, and ethical right to protect him/herself).

Originally posted by MikeC
Drew, At 100+ you should not be worrying about who's in your rearview. Not very many cars including Crown-Victorias!
Mike, the ONLY car to be worrying about at 100 mph is a "Crown-Vic" ... blue lights on top ... angry, underpaid, armed driver ... who gives you a present that costs you hundreds of dollars ... and busts your ***** for an hour ....

This is not a Lincoln with moving steering wheels, lose weight and you will go faster (remember body to weight ratio).
Fortunately, my *** isn't fat enough to effect the 'body to weight' ratio ... and that's just the point Mike ... I bought a MB not a Lincoln ... top of the heap, not bottom-of-the-barrel-trying-to-be-like-the-top-of-the-heap.

Cars were made to be driven, not to be eaten or drunken in.
Blaspheme!!! How dare you call yourself a resident of Boca Raton! Don't let the cops pull you over b/4 10 a.m. ... forget about the seatbelt violation ... if they don't find you with a fresh half-caf-double-esspresso-skim-milk-mocha-latte in your car ... your getting a ticket buddy .... b/c you shouldn't even be traveling through our little pretentious town without the proper 'accoutrement'.

And last but not least, do not take the Ford Focus, take the Buick Rivera
Great ... instead of cruising the High Schools with the Focus, I can cruise the retirement homes in Delray with the Buick instead

Old 11-30-2001, 10:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Wink

Drew, I just might take offense to that statement about the armed , angry blue light guy, who busts your ***** for an hour. If you were stopped and held for that long, you either caused it to happen, and or had something in the car you should not have?? Maybe all those hundreds of dollars of tickets have finally caught up to the old license???? And remember not all cars blue lights on top!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:28 AM
Out Of Control!

lol!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:51 AM

CLK55, Mini S
Law enforcement or tax collectors??

The last ticket I got was $270 for 86 in a 65...on a clear sunny day on an open road.

FXcking small Dxxxed, red-neck, no education road nannies sitting in the median strip waiting to collect a toll for those of us enjoying the highways. I see no excuse whatsoever for speed limits on four lane roads. Sure there should be rules to make it safe, but open up a lane for the big boys...after all, we paid for it. Speed limits are an infringement on our freedom...damn it.
Old 11-30-2001, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!

hey hmrdwn!

you know why he gave you ticket it's because these guys are jealous that you're driving a benz and they're not!! Also they just can't afford them!!
Old 11-30-2001, 03:53 PM

CLK55, Mini S
Yeah James,

He was an inbreed-looking guy. He had no mercy, especially because I have a V-1 slapped on the front window and I was obviously decellerating when he nabbed me. Tax collectors with badges and guns. They drive their ****ty cop-sedans fast and think they are the ****...pathetic. Cattle herders for the masses.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally posted by hmrdwn
Yeah James,

He was an inbreed-looking guy. He had no mercy, especially because I have a V-1 slapped on the front window and I was obviously decellerating when he nabbed me. Tax collectors with badges and guns. They drive their ****ty cop-sedans fast and think they are the ****...pathetic. Cattle herders for the masses.
Hmrdwn, you never cease to amaze me with your funny a$$ comments- Keep it up as its all in good fun and the humor keeps me looking for your posts.

Road nannies had me rolling
Old 11-30-2001, 04:29 PM
Out Of Control!

hey hmrdwn!

don'y forget donut eaters!! lol!!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Randy B
[B]Drew, I just might take offense to that statement about the armed , angry blue light guy, who busts your ***** for an hour
I'M BUSTED !!!

Seriously Randy ... you guys ARE underpaid: I have many friends who are 'on-the-job' ... in local, county, state and federal positions all over the country ... heard lots of horor-stories of traffic stops ... Troopers, by far, have the most difficult and dangerous job to perform on a daily basis ... and are compensated the least for it (lighting someone up at 3 a.m. for a traffic stop in the middle of nothing ... with backup 45 minutes away ... thank god you have the guts to do it!). That's what I meant with the 'underpaid' comment.

To tell the truth, I have only gotten 1 speeding ticket in 15 years in Florida ... and I deserved it too. Going North on the Greenway ... between the East/West and Hwy. 50 ... Female Trooper coming the opposite direction ... over crest of hill ... lit me up immediately ... I pulled over even before she made the turn through the median to pick me up. Very polite ... followed procedure well (never turned her back on me for a second ... unlike all those dash-cam clips we see on TV).

If you were stopped and held for that long, you either caused it to happen, and or had something in the car you should not have

I used to get pulled over often, but never given a ticket for a moving violation ... mostly seat-belt infraction (I chalk it up to my learned-reaction when approached; dome light on; hands at 10 & 2; tell Trooper what your going to do before you do it; wait for permission to do it; do it slowly; etc.).

I don't know if its the procedure I follow (as outlined above) that gets me out of the ticket, or what's implied by my license plate(below). We're always a pain in the ***! (BTW: I do civil, not criminal work).

Lots of respect for what you do Randy ... NO B/S. Lawyers, Cops and IRS Agents aren't the publics favored professions.

Originally posted by Randy B
And remember not all cars blue lights on top!
I hate that !!! How are we expected to see you guys coming over that hill without a lightbar anyway?
Old 11-30-2001, 04:47 PM
Out Of Control!

Old 11-30-2001, 04:55 PM

Randy,

BTW: Love the front-plate on your cruiser!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Post luxo liner

I was amazed on our c coupe HAS a steering wheel and seat that WILL move out of the way when you pull the key and that the c coupe costs half of my e wagon and half of the clk and has MORE comfort features, wish my wagon had them oh well
Old 11-30-2001, 07:18 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
Talking

Drew, Love the License Plate!!!! I think I have actually seen you in town before. The plate jogs the memory. Seriously though, if there is a Florida meet, and you make it up here, I'll take you out for a night on the town in one of Florida's finest Crown Victorias. They really are neat to drive. Maybe not as much fun as the Mustangs we used to have, but nevertheless fun. Now my E430 is fun to drive, and I wish it too had the steering wheel close down upon key off, and I also wish the park lamps, and driving lights did not stay on so long after the headlights were turned off. Also where the heck are the automatic headlights??? No, I cannot afford an E55, but the E430 will do just fine!:p
Old 11-30-2001, 10:33 PM

Randy,

Quite likely you've seen me ... I have lots of clients in the O-Town area.

As a result, I go to Orlando at least twice a month. I hit Dowtown Orlando/Airport areas for about half the time I'm there, and the other half I spend in Altamonte/Longwood/Lake Mary areas.

Or, better for you to help recall where YOU could have seen me: I take the Turnpike North to the Greenway ... Greenway North to the East/West ... East/West to I-4 ... and the same route on the return

Re: the ride in the Crown-Vic when I'm in town ... can I play with the lights and sirens while we drive?

Better yet: I have someone who owes me money up there. Lets park the cruiser in front of his house ... and take my car to dinner. I'll call him after an hour or so and tell him if he doesn't pay up ... they guy outside and his friends are comin' in!
Old 12-01-2001, 07:10 AM

**SOLD***2003 E500
Drew, you gave me a good laugh this morning! Look forward to meeting you some day. Enjoy the warm, cool Boca nights. I miss the ocean breeze up here.
Old 12-04-2001, 03:17 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E55 '99 ML430 '96 C4 Cab
I have a few more suggestions for MB for the E50.
1. How about some indicator that warns that the trunk is open. I drove away one day with the trunk open. You can't see it in the rear view mirror. I had just placed some critical documents in the trunk and didn't close it properly. I was horrified, but luckily didn't get very far with it open.
2. I LIKE the auto dim mirror. If I'm cruising at speed on the highway and anybody is coming up on me I slow down and assume it's a Crown Vic or Caprice Classic. Besides, you need to identify the Crown Vic tailights when cruising at speed.
3. I agree that the seat should move back, and the steering wheel up and in when you take the key like thing out of the ignition. Not only do they not move, but when you turn off the car, the driver side seat controls don't work until you open the door! If there was ever a safe time to move the seat it is when the car is off.
4. There should be an option to delete the speed limiter. We need to start pestering MB and AMG. I read somewhere that they will do that at the factory for some customers. 159 was nice, but I NEED MORE SPEED! With 450 or so HP on the way, just think, and grin.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:13 AM

2000 E55
Originally posted by Rich
1. How about some indicator that warns that the trunk is open.
There should be a tiny red dot on the trunk release button, (from '00 and up) and it will light up if the trunk is opened.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just love my Beast ... but for all that money you'd think ...