E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Orange H I Ds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orange H I Ds

Hi guys,
The passanger side headlight of my car (97 e420) went out. It came with factory xenons. I took it to the dealership and they said that my ballast was bad, so I told them to change it. I also gave them two brand new phillips dr2 bulbs to install which they did. On putting them on, both lights came on with the regualr bluish tint. After about 20seconds the passanger side turned orange like a regular halogen bulb. I asked them why and they said to give it a week or so. They said that the buldbs need time to "learn each other". Well, its been two months and they still look very different. Any ideas as to whats up.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
that's some bunch of crap........ take it from me don't go to the dealer........... they jack you over........i think the bulb is messed up from when you connected it the first time....... if you change the bulb you'll be fine....... happened to me with mine a while back.....
Old 04-14-2004, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
orange / amber H.I.D.s would be sweet though..... Awesome for fog lamps?

...not trying to get off topic
Old 04-14-2004, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
"...need to learn each other..." {snort} I can just hear them lil electrons now, "'sup, homes....can't we all just get along?" {/snort}
Old 04-14-2004, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by raymond g-
"...need to learn each other..." {snort} I can just hear them lil electrons now, "'sup, homes....can't we all just get along?" {/snort}

Old 04-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....... if you change the bulb you'll be fine....... happened to me with mine a while back.....

Do you mean, maybe they touched the bulb directly during the instal? . I hear that you could mess up the bulb if you physically touch the glass. Today, I put in the old driver side bulb (osrams) into the passager side. The old driver side bulb was still working and bluish when I changed the two to Phillips. I still got the same amber result. Could it be that the kind of balast that the dealer installed on the passanger side is causing the colour difference?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Usually it's best to replace these xenon bulbs in pairs. Reason being is that in order for the bulbs to have matching color output, they both need to be the same manaufacturer bulbs, like both Philips or Osram. And both bulbs need to be at the same useage life. Thats what I meant by best to replace in pairs. If both bulbs are new then they are easily considered to have the same time o fuse, appox. 0 hours.... Resulting in easily matched color.

Hope that helped.

As far as the orange color because of the ballast. It is possible. I was having dificulty with one of my ballasts before and it was at the point were it would turn on, but flicker. Some times it would fully come on and sometimes it wouldn't. In the time it was flickering it would sometimes emit a reddish/orange hue.

I would first try with the bulbs. If that doesn't help then the culprit is most likely the ballast at that point. And ballasts don't need to be replaced in pairs. They either work or don't.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:36 AM

2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
Just like michakaveli said :p

When you put in these bulbs dont expect them to be blue ASAP. They need i think aprox 1000 hours before then turn the true color. This happen to me when I put new bulbs in my HID. They were not very blue until I used the hour usage up I was told.

Since you changed 1 bulb and not the other....They will never be the same color most likley. 1 will always be a little oranger then the other.

What they told you about 'learning' is pretty much a short cutt on telling you the whole story as posted above and as michakaveli said.