E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need Help Guys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W210 E280
Need Help Guys

Hi People,

Prob with the Merc. As you guys probably know, I did a top overhaul recently. However, there was this rattling noise coming from the engine whenever my gear was in R or D. Found out with was a worn out belt tensioner.So they changed it with a brand new one, and everything was ok, but now its rattling again like hell, supposably from the belt tensioner again, when I'm in R or D. The supplier refuses to change it for a new one, saying its wear and tear, but I've only had it for 2 months. Could it be that the mechanic installed incorrectly, or there's some thing else thats causing the belt not to retetion itself?

Any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
If it's the same problem then it's one of 2 things, faulty tensioner or faulty install. You've only had the car back for 2 months so I hope you have some kind of warranty on the work they did. Go after them for it and make them fix it!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Re: Need Help Guys

Originally posted by carlsson9
Hi People,

Prob with the Merc. As you guys probably know, I did a top overhaul recently. However, there was this rattling noise coming from the engine whenever my gear was in R or D. Found out with was a worn out belt tensioner.So they changed it with a brand new one, and everything was ok, but now its rattling again like hell, supposably from the belt tensioner again, when I'm in R or D. The supplier refuses to change it for a new one, saying its wear and tear, but I've only had it for 2 months. Could it be that the mechanic installed incorrectly, or there's some thing else thats causing the belt not to retetion itself?

Any help will be greatly appreciated..thanks!
Karlson...sorry to hear about this problem your experiencing, what's the good word any luck finding the culprit?
Old 05-06-2004, 09:17 AM

Mercedes W210 E280
thanks Rich..

haven't had time to send it back to the shop...
its irritating, but hoping to get everyhitng fixed when my next service comes up (sagging roof lining, etc etc..)

btw, some dweeb scratch my car..one long ling from ront fender to back...:/

Jimmy, will chase the dude for sure!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Ouch man! How much is the repaint gonna cost? I really feel your pain, I wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks if that happened to me...... Damn hooligans!

Last edited by Whitey; 05-06-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6

btw, some dweeb scratch my car..one long ling from ront fender to back...:/

Freakin Haters...
Old 05-09-2004, 11:44 AM

Mercedes W210 E280
Well, i was told it scratched through the lacquer, and after polishing the car, the rest of the line kinda disappeared, but you could still see it anf feel it when you go up close.

the scratch on the otherside is definitely through the paint...it'll be a hassle to get it fixed now, but it'll still cost a bit..

You've said it dave! couldn't sleep for the last few day, and kept cursing the $%holes ..feels really crap the first few days...just can't believe people would actually do this kind of ****..

oh well.. :P
Old 05-09-2004, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Well, i was told it scratched through the lacquer, and after polishing the car, the rest of the line kinda disappeared, but you could still see it anf feel it when you go up close.

the scratch on the otherside is definitely through the paint...it'll be a hassle to get it fixed now, but it'll still cost a bit..

You've said it dave! couldn't sleep for the last few day, and kept cursing the $%holes ..feels really crap the first few days...just can't believe people would actually do this kind of ****..

oh well.. :P
The price to pay for having pimpin ride I guess Just be careful where you leave her next time.......