E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Questions on matching brake calipers with rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Questions on matching brake calipers with rotors

I'm currently exploring a combination of different makes of brake calipers and rotors for my E but know very little about brake upgrades. So far I have been advised that the diameter of the rotor somehow has to match with the size of the caliper and that the bridge of the caliper has to fit into the W210 fitment, and the higher number of pots (hence bigger brake I guess????) require a stronger pump e.g. the stock brake pump is not powerful enough to work a real big brake kit with 6 pots.

Can anyone please tell me what else I need to look out for inorder to match calipers with rotors? Does the thickness of the rotor have anything to do with it?

Many thanks guys

Last edited by Whitey; 05-08-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
What do you mean the pump is not strong enough, so ehen you but Brembo big brakes it comes with a stronger pump, i dont think so but correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by hubert
What do you mean the pump is not strong enough, so ehen you but Brembo big brakes it comes with a stronger pump, i dont think so but correct me if i'm wrong.
I dunno, that's what I've been told and experience tells me that mech's are often wrong. Maybe those who've done it could share with us??????
Old 05-08-2004, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
I recall doing a little bit of research during my quest to purchase my big brake kit and realized the importance of choosing a system developed specifically for the vehicle & is DOT or TUV approved. With all these integrated braking technologies on the MBZ e.g ABS, BAS, SBC and it seems they sprout yearly, it wouldn't be a bad thing to understand the OEM system and it's sensitivities before upgrading which may potentially impact their performance.

I'm not so sure what your mechanic means by the OEM pump not powerful enough for the BBK...Dave, however I'm assuming he may be referring to the ABS pressure-torque and pressure-volume relationship...(PT) relationship of the caliper/pad/rotor size for a given brake fluid pressure xxx these components will build up a certain amount of xxx psi torque in relationship to the (PV) that defines the swelling or expansion of the brake system for a given increase in pressure. I've read articles that unfortunately, several BBK systems in the market today pay no regard to the PT or PV of the original vehicle and any changes can manifest themselves under braking maneuvers.

This is not to say that big brake upgrades will wreak havoc on your ride...but I know companies like Brembo, Stoptech, AP Racing attempts to retain the original system's PT and PV integrity rather than just giving the million dollar look through your wheels.
Old 05-08-2004, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
Talking Man O Man

That Whitey fella must have money to burn,,,,hey Dave,,why not throw on a parachute????

Seriously tho,,,that was an insiteful response Rich,,,what did you settle for in the brake upgrade after all the research?
Old 05-08-2004, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Re: Man O Man

Originally posted by stemags
That Whitey fella must have money to burn,,,,hey Dave,,why not throw on a parachute????

Seriously tho,,,that was an insiteful response Rich,,,what did you settle for in the brake upgrade after all the research?
Spent all this time on the forum and you didn't even see Rich's mammoth thread on his new brakes? He got kickass flaming red Brembos

Rich, thanks for that......truth is, and as I've said, I really know nothing and lets assume my mechanic knows fxck all as well when it comes to unconventional stuff like putting together a brake system that does not come in a kit. What you have said does makes perfect sense, one which also comes from experience. However, at the time, his comment about the bigger calipers needing more pressure or power to make them work also made some sense. Anyway, my take on this is its OK to go 4- or even 6-pot with the stock brake pump or whatever it is that makes them move provided the PT and PV have been taken into consideration in the caliper's design, right ?

Anyway, the bigger issue is what else there is I need to know if I were to say use an AMG, AP Racing, Mov-it or Brembo caliper with a rotor that is not the same brand/kit as the caliper....say for example, I wanted to do the C32 caliper with the Black Diamond rotor. I assume the rotor diameter would need to be the same as that of the C32, but is there anything else? Perhaps the thickness of the rotor?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Man O Man

Originally posted by stemags

stemags: neeeeeeed to see some pixs of your pimped out yell.. calipers
Old 05-10-2004, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Man O Man

Originally posted by Whitey
[B
I wanted to do the C32 caliper with the Black Diamond rotor. I assume the rotor diameter would need to be the same as that of the C32, but is there anything else? Perhaps the thickness of the rotor? [/B]
Davey...my technical knowledge of brakes is just about zilch! I just like to read & pick peoples brain for info. I'm having trouble gathering info on the black diamond rotors tho...other than diamond etechings on the rotors to increase brake bite...the blk part is just a coating for looks? Anyhow, with a proper directional rotor in an appropriate thickness maximum cooling outweights the aesthetics.

Besides the much written trailing/leading caliper debate the C32 brake kit is still the best bang for the buck...now any reason why you would rather not use the C32 rotor? or you HK playas' are just too hardcore to stay within the parameters :p

I recall reading one member having a remedy for the trailing/leading caliper issue.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks for the concern bro. So far I've read calipers have a max rotor thickness limit, but you've just raised another issue, that of leading/trailing.....forgot about that

Just wanna be different and hopefully save a few bucks Actually, a pair of Black Diamond rotors alone are more than 2/3 the cost of a pair of C32's with calipers so I guess I wouldn't save anything but I hear the BD's are very durable.

I believe the black color of the Balck Diamonds is just a coating - I've seen used ones and they are no different to the regular ones i.e. shiney metal. But initally they would look pretty pimp, especially if I had a silver or colored caliper up against it. Since the edges, center piece and probably the slots would remain black it would still be pretty unique.

I'll keep you posted on my decision - need to change out my rotors real soon.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
While on the subject, any comments on the choice of cross-drilled, slotted/grooved or combi? I was told slotted wears the pads more rapidly, is that true? If so, what about combi? Would that be the worst for pad wear? I'm asking this cuz if I went Black Diamond, I would have the coice of all three:

Drilled: "Extra cooling"

Grooved: "Instant response and greater friction"

Combi: "Extra cooling, friction and instant response"

Old 05-12-2004, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My Brembo tech suggested the cross drilled to keep your pad wear to a min. I personally favor the cross drilled/slotted in the fronts & cross drilled on the rears...this is the setup I have. How's the pricing on the Black Diamonds'? I've yet to see them here in the US.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
giving the actual price would probably not be a good indication due to price differentials in different countries. So a reference is probably more appropriate - a pair of stock sized, cross-drilled front rotors would cost slightly over 2/3 the cost of a complete set of AMG C32 brakekit (caliper and rotor)......not cheap.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Whitey
giving the actual price would probably not be a good indication due to price differentials in different countries. So a reference is probably more appropriate - a pair of stock sized, cross-drilled front rotors would cost slightly over 2/3 the cost of a complete set of AMG C32 brakekit (caliper and rotor)......not cheap.
Whoa! Certainly not a feasible alternative to the C32 brake kit...specially after upgraded pads, SS brake lines & performance brake fluid, Brembo or Stoptech's maybe within spending range.