E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 E-class
Exclamation W210 Cold Start Problem

Hi Guys,
I own a 2002 E320 4Matic (w210) that I use for commute everyday. Lately I have been having some issues with the car. In the mornings the car starts in the first click. In New York its gets cold around this time, and I have been letting the car warm up for about 5 minutes before I start my commute for an hour. When I put the car in reverse to back out the car stops and stalls on me. I turn the car back on with ease. put it in drive this time and again the car stalls on me. I repeat these steps a couple of times until it finally doesn't stall. During my commute there are no problems. no shaking, no rough idle, no stalling, shifts perfect, no kickbacks. No problems at all. This problem only happens in the mornings during the day and my commute back no issues. If anyone has an idea of what the problem is PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
i dont know if you realize but the w210 model is designed to stay in lower gears
more when cold. then, when it warms up, the shifting algorithm changes back to
a more normal upshift RPM. but since you're in NYC now maybe you have
unusual conditions

i would recommend researching crankshaft position sensor anomaly to see if this
may be the source of your car's problem. if so, the solution is inexpensive < $50
and labor should be DIY free....or $50. don't buy off brand. stick with OE Bosch
Old 01-09-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 E-class
Originally Posted by raymond g-
i dont know if you realize but the w210 model is designed to stay in lower gears
more when cold. then, when it warms up, the shifting algorithm changes back to
a more normal upshift RPM. but since you're in NYC now maybe you have
unusual conditions

i would recommend researching crankshaft position sensor anomaly to see if this
may be the source of your car's problem. if so, the solution is inexpensive < $50
and labor should be DIY free....or $50. don't buy off brand. stick with OE Bosch
Originally, that was what I thought the problem was but when replaced, the issue wasn't resolved. Any other suggestions on why the car stalls when put into drive or reverse, and eventually working normally? This issue justed started when Winter came along.