E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Hydraulic Fluid for Wagon- When to Change the Filter and When to Check It

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 Avantgarde
Hydraulic Fluid for Wagon- When to Change the Filter and When to Check It

Hello!

I had a couple of questions about the hydraulic fluid for the suspension on the wagon.

What temperature should the dipstick be checked for the hydraulic fluid reservoir? Is it a cold or hot dipstick?

Should the filter on the pump be changed and if so at what interval?

Pelican Parts is recommending that I use the Mercedes convertible hydraulic fluid, is this the right one?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2018, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
All fluids with exception of ATF should be check cold. The best in the morning before engine start. I believe MB originally consider that fluid/filter a lifetime item, but I doubt they consider 20 years of life. So check the reservoir for contamination and use your common sense.
With MB fluids - don't listen to the birds and go to dealer to buy the correct stuff. Even at local dealer it is not going to be more than 20 bucks and when you have time, you can order it from internet dealer for less.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 Avantgarde
Originally Posted by kajtek1
All fluids with exception of ATF should be check cold. The best in the morning before engine start. I believe MB originally consider that fluid/filter a lifetime item, but I doubt they consider 20 years of life. So check the reservoir for contamination and use your common sense.
With MB fluids - don't listen to the birds and go to dealer to buy the correct stuff. Even at local dealer it is not going to be more than 20 bucks and when you have time, you can order it from internet dealer for less.
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I called up my local dealer and read off the number from the filler cap. The parts guy hadn't heard of it but after a few clicks, I have a quart being shipped to me from the depot.