E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

'97 E200 - Trunk Release

Old 06-22-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
'97 E200 - Trunk Release

Hi Folks!

Searched quite a bit on the internet and even on W202 forums to see how easy/hard it is to install a trunk release switch on the center console but couldn't get a clear answer. I have the Automatic Air Conditioning system so the pump should have the required connectors am I correct in this assumption? What else would I need to get this done (if possible). My key is the flip-out IR key.

Much appreciated folks!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You really haven't told us much, like does the key fob open the trunk? Are you able to open the trunk with the metal key? Does the key fob work all the other convenience features, bla bla? My reasons for asking is -----are you sure it's the switch?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:43 AM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
I don't have the switch at all, I'm looking to know how hard it is to install it. My key doesn't release the trunk remotely in any way (at least not the two quick presses on the remote)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
If your post is what you really think, then I think that the problem is your thinking like our famous sausage *****, ie, don't solve the problem create another one.
Have you ever stopped to think that the reason why you can't open the trunk is you either have a bad key or a faulty trunk lock actuator and it you can't open the trunk with the key you have a faulty lock------and yes in your case it will be very difficult to install a dash switch-----forget about the switch find and fix the trunk lock system
Old 06-23-2018, 11:07 AM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
I seem to have poorly communicated my intent.

The trunk opens and closes normally by hand, do remember this is an E200, thus Euro specs. It never had the switch in the center console and it never was able to open the trunk using the key, that's how it was from the factory.

What I was wondering and asking about is if it was possible to retrofit the switch into this car so I am given the option to open the trunk while I am inside the car, no more, no less.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Not possible!
Old 06-23-2018, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
if you want to spend $$$ to make this conversion, it may be possible but for normal folks it isn't.
the trunk release instructs the pump beneath the rear seat to send a puff of air through an air
line to the trunk lock, in turn, disengaging the lock. the Euro models may not even have the
hardware which makes this conversion possible. so you are left with trying to locate a w210
model with the appropriate PSE pump, vacuum line, and trunk lock....in addition to the
console switch. so in addition to all that, you need someone with the expensive STAR
diagnostic multiplexor to setup the hardware so that they exist happily together.

may be cheaper to buy the car with the appropriate feature

Last edited by raymond g-; 06-23-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:51 PM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
Originally Posted by raymond g-
if you want to spend $$$ to make this conversion, it may be possible but for normal folks it isn't.
the trunk release instructs the pump beneath the rear seat to send a puff of air through an air
line to the trunk lock, in turn, disengaging the lock. the Euro models may not even have the
hardware which makes this conversion possible. so you are left with trying to locate a w210
model with the appropriate PSE pump, vacuum line, and trunk lock....in addition to the
console switch.

may be cheaper to buy the car with the appropriate feature
Thanks raymond, appreciate your input.

Based on what I've seen on EPC the pump coupled with the Automatic Air Conditioning unit has many more connectors than the standard one. Since the car has the Automatic Air Conditioning unit I guess I should see the pump for myself and see if it has said connectors based on the diagrams.

It's a special car for us, we've had it ever since its birth so I like tinkering with it from time to time, it's not my daily driver and is an excessively well maintained Merc. Just had its service B and nothing was flagged other than brakes/rotors to be changed during the next service. Cost isn't a problem , as an Engineer I love to learn as much as I can on those so shoot
Old 06-23-2018, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
the PSE pump uses the terminal labeled "HACK or HECK" or some german phrase which means rear/trunk.
the STAR computer would program the PSE pump to recognize a signal from a trunk switch to 'puff' air
into that terminal.

oh!...i just remembered that it sends a vacuum/negative air into the same line to cause the rear headrests
to lower. both trunk lock and headrest share the same line.....one signal PUFFS and the other SUCKS.

photo is from my 1999 E320, USA edition. different w210s may use different PSE pump and pinouts

Last edited by raymond g-; 06-23-2018 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PortAxePlayer1 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:54 PM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
the PSE pump uses the terminal labeled "HACK or HECK" or some german phrase which means rear/trunk.
the STAR computer would program the PSE pump to recognize a signal from a trunk switch to 'puff' air
into that terminal.

oh!...i just remembered that it sends a vacuum/negative air into the same line to cause the rear headrests
to lower. both trunk lock and headrest share the same line.....one signal PUFFS and the other SUCKS.

photo is from my 1999 E320, USA edition. different w210s may use different PSE pump and pinouts

Amazing! THANK YOU!

So let's recap:

1- Switch In Center Console + New Wood Trim
2- Cable harness that plugs into the switch all the way to?
3- STAR to configure PSE pump to detect the Trunk Switch
4- Additional part on the trunk release lock?

Am I missing anything? I'll post the PSE Pump picture tomorrow morning.

And of course I'll have the appropriate person carry the job out and I'll tag along. Brilliant raymond!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
hope it works out as planned. naturally, you're in vague territory as it's not a retrofit normally
undertaken. I have no direct experience. The closest has been having my standard seats
pulled, carpet yanked and having new tubing installed to support the Designo seats which
has the air cushions. so, somewhat similar advanced retrofit.

an experienced MB original equipment retrofitter should have a good idea. not very many
around. and I was fortunate enough to have one based in Houston fly into Seattle to visit
his sister and stopped by my place to tackle this 4 hour job. that person would need to have
access to the MB parts catalog and knowing how to source them, as well as to operate the
SDS/STAR computer to introduce the components to each other (handshaking)

these two folks use to hand out around MBWorld a lot but rarely visible in recent years.
Netherlands guy used to fly out to different continents to handle his jobs.

https://www.facebook.com/MBenzNL/
http://www.mwhouston.com/​​​​​​​

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...yesterday.html

Last edited by raymond g-; 06-23-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:54 AM

E200 MY97 , E350 MY06
hope it works out as planned. naturally, you're in vague territory as it's not a retrofit normally
undertaken. I have no direct experience. The closest has been having my standard seats
pulled, carpet yanked and having new tubing installed to support the Designo seats which
has the air cushions. so, somewhat similar advanced retrofit.

an experienced MB original equipment retrofitter should have a good idea. not very many
around. and I was fortunate enough to have one based in Houston fly into Seattle to visit
his sister and stopped by my place to tackle this 4 hour job. that person would need to have
access to the MB parts catalog and knowing how to source them, as well as to operate the
SDS/STAR computer to introduce the components to each other (handshaking)

these two folks use to hand out around MBWorld a lot but rarely visible in recent years.
Netherlands guy used to fly out to different continents to handle his jobs.

https://www.facebook.com/MBenzNL/
http://www.mwhouston.com/​​​​​​​

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...yesterday.html

Just wanted to post an updated, we've tried (the Dealer & I) to get to the bottom of this but they weren't very helpful seeing that the car is so old most of them weren't even teenagers back then. Oh well, I've compared mine with a 98 that has this feature and even how the trunk moves is different (more dampened).
Oh well, I'll have to keep that for another time.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
i guess it depends on how badly you want the feature and what configuration you're hoping to have.
from a purely utilitarian and functioning perspective, you can forego the switch and have a manually
activated rubber bulb trigger the pressure release hose to the trunk. the pressure it requires can
easily be duplicated by blowing into the hose with your lungs as if you were launching a spit wad.
so you could hide the bulb in the center console between the seats. as for the dampening part,
I've installed struts to the hood of my truck to assist and hold it open....where previously it was
manual open and propped open by a rod.

but if you're wanting to replicate the OE MB look with the console switch, that's a more involved
process with the pump (yes, there are different models) and trunk lock retrofit.

for my cars without trunk release, I utilize the voice activated feature: i command one of the kids
to open it. :-)