E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 Mirror Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon
W210 Mirror Motor

Has anyone taken apart their passenger side mirror motor? I mean popping off the case to check the gears etc?
What I need is to understand the indexing of the UP/Down motor and mechanism. Is anything marked that I missed?
I am specifically concerned on how far in the right side plastic gear pillar is supposed to sit? The right/left pillar mechanism
easily slips up and down on its threads but the up/down pillar does not so when you put it back in after lubricating the threads
you have to manually screw it in and I would like to know how far it should go?
Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this one!!!!!
Old 07-01-2018, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
i can post a photo if you give a little more clarity about what you need highlighted
Old 07-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
That is exactly why the inners of the motor are not sold-----I have only read two posts from Bens Wurld gurus like yourself and sausage ***** trying to confuse and mislead folks into thinking the supposed repair is commonplace and it is not---you replace the motor-----it will be very interesting to see the poster 2 photo of his,repeat his dismantled mirror motor.

By the way what insight have you learned form the Bens Wurld group!-
The following users liked this post:
jayres (07-02-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon
Dear VETERAN Plutoe:
I must say that I have always appreciated your wit and cutting sense of right and wrong! Whenever you chime in, I always read the post.
In this case, I have to admit that I was fishing. My apologies but it is sometimes possible to get a true veteran to reply with an answer that will speed up my work. But rarely.
I know you do not know anything about me so let me just explain that I finished my Mercedes apprenticeship in 1978. At that point I had been a Senior Mechanic for 10 years.
I broke (cut) my teeth in 1964 on Triumph TR10's, MG TD's, Volvo's and Saabs.
So my vested interest in taking apart this little motor and repairing it has mostly to do with curiosity and challenge.
When this motor was first built, in the '90s, a human designed and assembled it. I am a human. This means that I have a road to being able to repeat and understand how this unit was
designed and built and also to repair it based on this learning. Also, it is NOT a sealed unit, which means that it IS serviceable according to MB assembly line policy.
One of the interesting bits of knowledge that I have learned from working on Mercedes for all these years is how unnecessarily complicated they are. I quite enjoy that aspect, however
it is also quite clear that this unnecessary complexity is one major reason why the German armies lost the war.
Any American foot soldier could repair any truck out in the field without help because the trucks were simple and were the same models they had grown up with on the farm. Including the
Cadillac V8's used in some tanks!
However, when a German truck or tank broke down mechanically they had to bring out a team with special tools just to work on the darn things. I recently read an article by an ex-German
military soldier who echoed my epiphany.
So I have fun taking these things apart and figuring out how and what and why.
And Yes, I was just "fishing" for an idea on the up/down pillar to see if someone had already done this.......
Best, and I look forward to more of your postings.....
jayres
Old 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Yep, its always best when you get back to the basics!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
i am patently opposed to the philosophy that if the part isn't sold a la carte, a homebrew fix shouldn't be attempted.
that is such a dealer centric scam way of thinking and insults anyone who feels they have the time or inclination to
attempt a DIY. the PSE pump isn't sold in pieces yet it has been established that water damage or electrical
components within can be done without incurring the exorbitant cost of a new pump. the same is true for the
Smartkeys where the EIS or induction coil has been transplanted to another recipient board/key to salvage a
key which is inoperative. the rear window regulators are notorious for their high rate of failure due to their
poor design, yet upon inspection, it has been possible to repair them without paying $100 from the dealer and
for about 1/10th the cost.

No one has attempted to mislead the OP of the viability of the repair, but to respect their question at face
value and let them decide if the repair that they are attempting is worthwhile. That is up to each person to
determine after assessing the degree of difficulty, the cost, the time and their own skil set.
The following users liked this post:
jayres (07-03-2018)