E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

w210 MAF code diagnosis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 MAF code diagnosis

Hi there, I have a 1997 E320 with 3 error codes coming up in conjunction with my Check Engine Electronics light. I don't have the actual error codes with me but the descriptions were 1. MAF defect 2. air intake temperature defect 3. cylinder 2 misfire. I purchased a new MAF from alloemautoparts.com and replaced that so assuming it's the right part the MAF should be fixed. (I haven't had the codes read again since replacing the MAF). So my question for anyone out there is: can anyone help me understand what errors 2. and 3. above are and how to look for a fix. The original problem was that the car was idling poorly, stuttering, etc, which is what I would expect with a bad MAF. However, after replacing the MAF the car is still idling poorly and the CEL came back on... Any ideas? FYI, the mechanic who originally read the codes said that a new set of spark plugs may be all that I need for the cyl 2 misfire. But I'm curious to know if anyone thinks that errors 2 and 3 above could cause the car to act like when the MAF goes bad...
Old 06-01-2004, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Sounds like you have a cylinder misfire on spark plug #2. This could be caused by bad or worn plugs, wires, or a coil. The 97 has the inline 6 cylinder engine so there are 3 coils down the top of the engine. Take the air intake tube off and remove the plastic cover that runs down the middle of the head. Each coil is used for 2 spark plus so if you have a bad one, 2 cylinders would be misfiring and you only had only one code. Chances are your coils are ok. I would change the plugs first and if that doesn't make it run smooth then change the plug wires and the rubber boots under the coils. You have to pull the coils off to get at the plugs. Make sure that you only use the Bosch Super Copper plugs for this engine. Platinum plugs do not work well at all in this engine.