E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1997 E320 I6 3.2 Will not idle and runs rough after replacing spark plugs

Old 11-10-2018, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 I6 3.2
1997 E320 I6 3.2 Will not idle and runs rough after replacing spark plugs

I replaced all the spark plugs recently and while I had the air intake out I looked down inside the throttle body and wanted to check to see if there was a carbon ring around the throttle plate so I moved it a little with a flathead screwdriver and now it will not stay running and it made a loud almost kind of backfire noise through the throttle body when I tried to start it l. Maybe I got brake cleaner in the spark plug holes.....I have tried the throttle body reset procedure of turning ignition to on position then depress the gas pedal all the way down leaving ignition on. Then wait 5 secs. Then turn ignition off. Then release gas pedal and wait for a few minutes before restart, but that did not work. I also tried disconnecting the battery to reset ECU, but that did not work either. Please help!
Old 11-11-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
I don't know your engine, but when an engine runs badly after a spark plug change, it is likely because you switched some wring around. I have learned to replace plugs one at a time so there is no chance of switching the wires and messing up the timing on two or more cylinders. On older engines, to correct the wiring one had to get the firing order, and see that the order on the distributor matched the correct cylinder order. Others will have to tell you how to get your wiring corrected for that engine.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I agree that you recheck your work..

1. Copper Tip Bosch Spark Plugs ONLY for your yr/engine - Bosch F8DC4

2. Recheck Wiring...
Old 11-12-2018, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320 I6 3.2
Found out what was causing the issue and repaired it.

So what happened was when I was replacing the spark plugs the valve cover gasket was leaking badly as well so I had to put some new sealant on the old one and I used brake cleaner to clean all of the oil out of the spark plug holes. Well...I thought I blew all of the old oil and break clean out of the cylinders with my air blower before I started my engine, but I guess not so long story short I blew a small hole out the side of the plastic intake right where it curves around next to the ABS module. I repaired it by heating up black fiberglass exhaust tape w/ a blow dryer, since it's a suction leak and not a pressure leak, then layered 2 small strips over the hole and waited for it to rearden before I started it back up. Runs GREAT now! Thanks for the replies.