E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Radio Upgrade keeping Steering Controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
1997 W140 S420
Radio Upgrade keeping Steering Controls

I did the corresponding searches prior to posting this and read more than 20 threads regarding updating the head units. Not surprisingly, the requirements for the early 2000 years were for CD players, while the requirements for the late 2000 years were for iPhone 4 integration. That all sounded almost ancient and does not take into account the advances of the past few years.

All those threads have helped me clarify my own requirements which are as follows:

The original Becker radio was removed from my E430 and replaced with a very nice Alpine unit, amp, speakers, etc. The problem is that this Alpine unit -- CDE-122 -- does not support the steering controls which I've come to learn I MUST have.

Thus my plan to replace this Alpine with another head unit. My two main requirements are (1) for the unit to work with the steering controls. I'm sure I'll have to buy an interface or adapter. I'm OK with this...and (2) - Ability to listen to content from my iPhone, either wired or wirelessly, preferably through Bluetooth.

I chatted with a Crutchfield advisor today and the JVC KD-AV41BT does all this and also supports Steering Controls with a separate adapter: Crux SWRBM-57 Wiring Interface.

Does anyone have any experience with the Crux SWRBM-57 Wiring Interface?

That JVC unit also supports the "Kenwood CMOS-230" backup camera. Yes, despite being a single din radio, it has a small screen sized 3.0" 16:9 QVGA, which I plan to use when parking around NYC.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
always hard to beat an alpine for sound quality. Talking to crutchfield should give you your best options though.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 PM

1997 W140 S420
1bad540, you are correct, Alpine has always had clear sound, which is why I'm debating if getting Steering Controls and backup camera, are enough of a reason for me to undo the Alpine existing setup.

I still would like to know if others have had any experience with the Crux SWRBM-57 Wiring Interface.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430
I recently sent my OEM Becker unit to them for the AUX integration, and have been loving it ever since. I'm not sure if it's worth buying another Becker head unit and sending it off, as you'd probably pay as much for that as you would for another head unit with more features. I do like how the OEM unit fits in with the interior, and from what I can tell, Becker did a great job. Sound is fantastic, it works with all steering controls, and works perfectly with my phone.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:32 AM

1997 W140 S420
01V8, thanks for your input.

I'm considering going back to the Becker unit and if I do, I will most likely buy the one with the CD player in it.

From the lack of responses to this thread, and the fact that most forum participants are purists who prefer to keep their car stock, it appears that most people have chosen to keep their stock radio, despite lack of bluetooth and other features. Since the previous owner replaced the stock unit, I could either go back to that one (which I know works 100% and gives me my steering controls) or I could go forward with another unit. I'm at that crux.

If I get a stock unit, I'd like something as new as possible, that way I avoid the volume problems and related problems others have posted about.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:10 PM

1997 W140 S420
Check out this link from Alpine on steering wheel compatibility. Now I just have to sell my Alpine CDE-122 and purchase a Alpine CDE-172BT or a Alpine CDE-175BT

https://kb.alpine-usa.com/article/st...atibility.html

The article on that post says that they "have tested and verified functionality on the following devices.

Pac-Audio SWI-CP2
iDatalink Maestro SW
AXXESS ASWC1"

Does anyone have any experience with either of these adapters/interfaces?

Last edited by CarlitoE430; 12-03-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 182 Likes on 152 Posts
s550 Diamond white amg pano
I dont but have done a few high end stereos, sweet if you can stick w an alpine and get the new functions. I have a show build system in an 01 m3 w a current bluetooth dd pioneer and have been toying w the idea of swapping to the an alpine. I had a c5 corvette w a custom dd nav. I had swapped out 2-3 nav radios and when the alpine went in the difference was night and day.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM

1997 W140 S420
I guess I'm going to be Guinea pig around here about installing an Alpine with bluetooth and adding the adapter for the Steering Controls. I'll take pictures and post.

My fear is buying all that and then finding a new Alpine unit to replace the existing Alpine and not having the Steering Controls work.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:56 PM

2001 Mercedes-Benz E320 (W210)
Originally Posted by CarlitoE430
I did the corresponding searches prior to posting this and read more than 20 threads regarding updating the head units. Not surprisingly, the requirements for the early 2000 years were for CD players, while the requirements for the late 2000 years were for iPhone 4 integration. That all sounded almost ancient and does not take into account the advances of the past few years.

All those threads have helped me clarify my own requirements which are as follows:

The original Becker radio was removed from my E430 and replaced with a very nice Alpine unit, amp, speakers, etc. The problem is that this Alpine unit -- CDE-122 -- does not support the steering controls which I've come to learn I MUST have.

Thus my plan to replace this Alpine with another head unit. My two main requirements are (1) for the unit to work with the steering controls. I'm sure I'll have to buy an interface or adapter. I'm OK with this...and (2) - Ability to listen to content from my iPhone, either wired or wirelessly, preferably through Bluetooth.

I chatted with a Crutchfield advisor today and the JVC KD-AV41BT does all this and also supports Steering Controls with a separate adapter: Crux SWRBM-57 Wiring Interface.

Does anyone have any experience with the Crux SWRBM-57 Wiring Interface?

That JVC unit also supports the "Kenwood CMOS-230" backup camera. Yes, despite being a single din radio, it has a small screen sized 3.0" 16:9 QVGA, which I plan to use when parking around NYC.
Hey. Did you move forward with the Crux harness? If so, did it end up working with your steering wheel controls?
I just ordered the Crux SWRBM-57 to try out with an aftermarket head unit in my 2001 E320.
After years of using my Becker with the factory AUX upgrade, the tape won't eject and I don't want to put money into repair.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:08 PM

2001 E320W
Does it support the steering wheel controls?
Old 01-23-2023, 10:29 AM

2001 Mercedes-Benz E320 (W210)
Originally Posted by pcwebb
Does it support the steering wheel controls?

I used the Crux one and in my case it did not retain the steering wheel controls. They had great phone support though.

My situation may be a little unusual though as I’m using an old Blaupunkt Los Angeles that had wiring for an IR steering wheel remote receiever that would communicate to a Blaupunkt battery powered accessory remote that you’d mount aftermarket to the steering wheel (I don’t have it anymore)

So the signals the stock MB steering wheel buttons are trying to send to the harness probably cannot be understood by the head unit.