E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Install illuminated door sill, any suggestion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Install illuminated door sill, any suggestion

I am about to install the illuminated door sills (chrome & brush metal) for the W210.

I think it's really cool, especially at night time. My W211 has chome/brush-metal door sill, and it looks awesome. I have no doubt that an illuminated one would look even better.

I want the sill on each door to lighten up when that door is opened. So I will have to sync each sill with the coresponding door switch (negative). I do have wiring diagram for the W210, so hooking up w/ door switch should not be a problem.

Here's the tricky problem: I want the sill light work the same way as the interior light. By that, I mean if you leave the door open for longer than 5 minutes, the light will turn off by itself. This will prevent the bulb/light from over head (and could potentially destroy the wire as well), as well as reserve the battery. I have couple opstions for now:

1. Connect the negative of the sill to the door switch, and the positive to the battery, going through a relay timer.

2. Connect both positive and negative to the light on the door. This requires open up all doors and run wire through those rubber wire hoses.

3. Run positive wire from the interior light (front for front doors, rear for rear doors), and connect negative to door switch.

Each has pro/cons. For now, I am leaning toward option 3. To me, it's easier to run wire to pillar A and C down. Option 1 is the easiest to do, but then the timer may not sync w/ the interior light. Option 2 requires running wire through the door wire cover, which I have never done, and don't know if that's hard or not. Not to mention I have open up the door panel (always break those &*#$% panel snap).

Any other options you think I should look at ? It'll be best if I can tap in both positive and negative wire to one that control lights on the door, but not open up the door panel ? Any one know where can I find those wire.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Re: Install illuminated door sill, any suggestion

Originally posted by zam2000
This will prevent the bulb/light from over head (and could potentially destroy the wire as well), as well as reserve the battery.
If you have OEM sills, they use electroluminescent panels which are very unlikely to overheat. Also, the wiring is rated to carry much more current than is necessary to illuminate the panel, thus overheating or destroying the wire is very unlikely.

If you have aftermarket sills that use LEDs, it's pretty much the same situation. Except that you may only have one voltage regulation device, so wiring the positive terminal of the sills separately may not be possible without additional components.

Either option uses very little current so running down the battery would take a long time.

Finally, the EL panels will not last as long as the LEDs, so preserving their brightness becomes more important on the OEM sills.

-s-
Old 06-22-2004, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: Re: Install illuminated door sill, any suggestion

Hi Scorchie

Can you elaborate about this ? Seem like my option 3 should work with this, correct ? Even the two front sills connect to same positive power supply from the front lights, each is controlled separately via (negative) door switch ? And after all, aren't they all run on 12 volt ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by scorchie

If you have aftermarket sills that use LEDs, it's pretty much the same situation. Except that you may only have one voltage regulation device, so wiring the positive terminal of the sills separately may not be possible without additional components.

-s-
Old 06-22-2004, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 4matic 1997 E420
I've always wanted an illuminated door sill but have never seen one at night. I've always wondered whether you can actually see the illuminated sill since the interior light will be on when you open the door.

Assuming the interior light works by a negative door switch then option 3 should work.

Last edited by leafian; 06-22-2004 at 03:25 PM.