E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 Drivers Door Locking Issue

Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210
W210 Drivers Door Locking Issue

Hi all.
i am a first timer to this site & also I recently purchased a 1998 w210.

I have inherited a problem with the drivers drivers door only locks with the remote pointed at the door sensor. It does not auto lock with the other doors when the car is in motion or when I use the dash mounted central lock/unlock button.

The vacuum system works well & there seems to be no restriction on the lock as I already checked it under the rear seat & disconnected it for more than 30 secs to reset.

i observed it moves ever so slight when using the central lock button, it seems almost to have insufficient pressure or vacuum to move it. If the doors are locked, I would have to press the button several times for it to progressively unlock. It doesn’t ever lock with the vehicle on or in motion.

can anyone advise me on this please
Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
wild first guess: check the vacuum hose leading from the cabin and into the door. i'm wondering
if the operation of the door, wear and tear, etc has caused the hose to kink or fracture or something,
perhaps at a t-fitting resulting in lower pressure air.

the diagram seems to indicate the line to the driver front door is not shared with the passenger door.
so similarly, check it from pump to door and examine closely every fitting. spray soapy solution on it
and operate the un/lock switch to cycle the pump.

what do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PSE.pdf (107.5 KB, 258 views)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210
I will definitely try that bit of advice.

question is though, the drivers door is independently operated & actually moves out of sync with the rest of doors. The pump controls it first on opening or last on closing, which tells me that the pressure or vacuum on the line happens separately & shouldn’t be affected by a loss of either pressure or vacuum when other locks are being operated.

The car is set to open drivers door only first with the first press of the remote button and it does so powerfully, it also locks with the same power using the remote.

My confusion is, why doesn’t it respond when using the central lock button or auto lock like the other doors.... it’s even hard to press it down to manually lock it
Old 03-23-2019, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
yeah, i gets your drift. okay, now about the mechanical linkage itself? sticky or dirty and requiring
more effort to un/lock? popping the door panel off is easy and you can at least cycle the lock and
lubricate the contact points you see. but then that doesn't explain the operational differences when
using the FOB vs console switch, does it? hmm

afterthought: oxidized console switch contacts ?

Last edited by raymond g-; 03-23-2019 at 02:08 PM.