E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2001 E320 Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes E320
2001 E320 Limp Mode

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum, and I have already learned a great deal by reading a few of y’alls posts on here. I recently bought a 2001 E320 for a pretty cheap amount and have surprisingly sorted most of its issues out relatively quickly. One major issue still remains and I am unsure on what to do next. I have noticed the transmission tends to go into limp mode if driven slightly aggressively. A soft reset (turn the engine off and on again) tends to temporarily fix the issue. This cars relatively trouble free if you drive it very carefully.. although it does occasionally have a hard shift. I connected my scanner and found that it has a pending code for an input shaft speed sensor (unknown on the code number but I can provide that after I get off of work today). Also I have gotten it to go into limp mode after staying in manual shift mode (I even noticed that the gear indicator when doing so went blank). At first I thought it may be the conductor plate but I have noticed that there is an obvious sign of a spilled drink at some point on the center console.. so I’m thinking the shifter module could also be at fault. My question is where should I go with this next? I don’t want to throw money at parts it doesn’t need. I know a star diagnosis would probably pinpoint the issue, but is there anything obvious that I’m missing?

Also I have a quick question about the transmission dipstick. I do have one but it was a cheap no name brand that gets the job done but I’m unsure about it’s accuracy. I know the two marks on it are supposed to indicate the proper fluid level when it’s cold and hot but on mine I can feel it bottoming out on the pan (the handle of the dipstick doesn’t sit flush on the dipstick tube and the fluid level reads to the top mark on the dipstick when it’s cold). Is that the way it’s supposed to work?

Thank you for reading
Old 04-05-2019, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
some linked threads under "spilled liquid..."
Old 06-30-2019, 11:09 PM

e 320 99
Conductor plate. Refill then problem w dipstick

I have had the same problem it reads correct on 20c but when I run car it shows nothing o 80c. If I fill to 80c when running it’s way to full for 20c cold . How did you end up filling. Also still have a code p0715 and stuck in limp mode. Thanks any help appreciated

Originally Posted by CSR1992
Hello,

This is my first post to the forum, and I have already learned a great deal by reading a few of y’alls posts on here. I recently bought a 2001 E320 for a pretty cheap amount and have surprisingly sorted most of its issues out relatively quickly. One major issue still remains and I am unsure on what to do next. I have noticed the transmission tends to go into limp mode if driven slightly aggressively. A soft reset (turn the engine off and on again) tends to temporarily fix the issue. This cars relatively trouble free if you drive it very carefully.. although it does occasionally have a hard shift. I connected my scanner and found that it has a pending code for an input shaft speed sensor (unknown on the code number but I can provide that after I get off of work today). Also I have gotten it to go into limp mode after staying in manual shift mode (I even noticed that the gear indicator when doing so went blank). At first I thought it may be the conductor plate but I have noticed that there is an obvious sign of a spilled drink at some point on the center console.. so I’m thinking the shifter module could also be at fault. My question is where should I go with this next? I don’t want to throw money at parts it doesn’t need. I know a star diagnosis would probably pinpoint the issue, but is there anything obvious that I’m missing?

Also I have a quick question about the transmission dipstick. I do have one but it was a cheap no name brand that gets the job done but I’m unsure about it’s accuracy. I know the two marks on it are supposed to indicate the proper fluid level when it’s cold and hot but on mine I can feel it bottoming out on the pan (the handle of the dipstick doesn’t sit flush on the dipstick tube and the fluid level reads to the top mark on the dipstick when it’s cold). Is that the way it’s supposed to work?

Thank you for reading
Old 07-01-2019, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Look - it is "common" that a internally leaking Transmission Adapter Plug (MB or MOPAR only for $14-$16) causes transmission fluid to weep up to contaminate the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which can be pulled and "flood cleaned" with 1/2 can MAF Cleaner.

The bad tranny adapter plug - combined with the contaminated TCM lead to incorrect communication between the tranny and TCM which results in the exact codes/issues.\

You have to solve this 1st to be able to get accurate communication between tranny and TCM before you go farther..
Old 07-02-2019, 01:58 AM

e 320 99
P0715

Already changed plug and conductor plate, w atf and filter. And I have no fluid passed the plug, none in my tcu or harness. Thanks for the quick reply

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Look - it is "common" that a internally leaking Transmission Adapter Plug (MB or MOPAR only for $14-$16) causes transmission fluid to weep up to contaminate the Transmission Control Module (TCM) which can be pulled and "flood cleaned"
Changed conductor plate and plug already. No transmission oil passed the plug

with 1/2 can MAF Cleaner.

The bad tranny adapter plug - combined with the contaminated TCM lead to incorrect communication between the tranny and TCM which results in the exact codes/issues.\

You have to solve this 1st to be able to get accurate communication between tranny and TCM before you go farther..
Old 07-07-2019, 06:41 PM

E320 w210
I have the same issue with mine, I have tried several scanners but none of them are able to erase the code, I was thinking of swapping the TCU for a working one...I'm not really up for paying a dealer 250$ for erasing the code
Old 07-13-2019, 05:06 PM

2001 Mercedes E320
I have a foxwell nt520 pro scanner. I bought it on a whim because it was one of the few I found that included the 38 pin connector. It was able to erase my transmission codes and is actually a pretty nice little scanner. I think it was around $200 with the 38 pin adapter