E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

new style head lights, any one ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by alexbenz
mike i'll pm you tomorrow, i'm going to sleep, tried as hell.......i'll give you the info on it all.......

Thanks holmes. PRice out 8k HID kit for fogs, the headlights, and what else...yeah if you wanna trade my stock HID system and ****, and include install price yaddy yadda. Danke Schoen.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
check your pm doc
Old 07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by alexbenz
check your pm doc
i pm'ed u back.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an import
Can someone post night pics of the new lights (w/standard H7 bulb) shining on the ground from the drivers' perspective and on coming traffic perspective.

I would like to know if there are hotspots and what is the spread and cut like with the new projectors. A comparison side-by-side with an E with OEM lamps would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Soooooo, after some smoochy talk w/ my gf, I just bought this new style headlight set again, $430 out the door from AutoDynamic, local pick-up (should have held the 1st set and save myself $60).

I notice that the projector from the headlight set give hotsport, also, it creates four narrow bright light beams on the road (2 from each light). Some like it, but some don't. I happened not to like it. Beside not spot, it seems to create glare into opposite trafic. Daniel Stern (light guru ??) advised me that only brand like Hella or Valeo could eliminate those effects. He also stated that it's not possible to replace the projector from the headlight w/ the Hella one, given that the Headlight lens cover can't be taken off. Well, I thought it worth it to give it a try.

So I bought a set of broken-tab headlight for the W211 ($100, eBay) and took out their Hella projector.

I took the projector from the headlight out, put in the Hella projector. Sound simple, but lot of work, since it's very hard to fit the projector into the cover ring, especially when you can't take the cover lens of the headlight off. ANyway, I got it done. At least the good news is the projector from the headlight and the Hella one are both 90mm, so the Hella one fit perfectly.

Pop in a pair of Philips Blue Vision, and I got <b>PERFECTTTTTTT</b> light. No hot spot, the entire area in front of the car is lighten up. No more narrow beam from headlight. Very bright but no glare to opposite trafic. Better, light look a little pupple from far away, but just white up close. I compare the light against my W211, and amazingly, it's brighter than the W211 !!. What give ?

It's all worth it !!

If anyone is in Southern CA, and interest in seeing how the light works, let me know, I can show you.

Originally Posted by Fanatic
Can someone post night pics of the new lights (w/standard H7 bulb) shining on the ground from the drivers' perspective and on coming traffic perspective.

I would like to know if there are hotspots and what is the spread and cut like with the new projectors. A comparison side-by-side with an E with OEM lamps would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:14 AM

an import
Thanks Zam. This is exactly what I wanted to find out.

Congrats on the new lights. The extra brightness on the W210 is proabablly due to the reflector in the housing of the In-pros vs the OEM housing.

The lights doesn't seem worth it unless you're willing to reto fit a set of hella projectors. I'm not willing to sacrafice lighting for looks (at least not yet :p )
Old 08-15-2004, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The new style headlight is made by Depo, not In-Pro. In term of quality, I would grade it as follow (score are against the W211 headlight set that I have).

1. Quality of craftmanship: 9/10. Though made by Depo, it's not the typical upgrade headlight you see on Civic or Acrua. The plastic feel high quality, the chrome reflector is good, all the tab and mount feel rigid, all the vent (yep, they do have vent) pipe and pressure valve are made properly. Weather strip look good. I put it against the headlight set of the OEM W211, and both are in par w/ quality. The only part that makes it not perfect score is the wire, they are not as thick as the OEM one.

2. Quality of projector (light): 4/10. Regardless of how I beam the headlight, I would get hot spot. Also, each projector creates two narrow light beams on the road (aim properly), well, unless I aim them completely upward and anoy every car in front of me, not to mention I can't see the road them. So what happen is that you would have it really bright in area within the area of these four beams, but pretty dark outside of them. When driving at night, especially in dark area, because the road is never perfectly smooth, you will see these four beams moving left or right, bouncing up and down (it's like having a really powerful flash light beaming at the road in dark night). Again, most people would probably not having much problem with it, but my eyes are pretty sensitive to light, so the pupils of my eyes, unintentionlally, keep follow these beams. This caused sleepiness and lost of attention to cars in front. Also, I have problem at on/off-ram. Again, this's probably just me. The OEM projector fixes all of these problems.

However, the look of the new style headlight totally change the look of the car, and that's why I did buy it again .

For most people, I think the new style headlight would work for them, both look and functionality.

For those that are quite picky about light, you will like the look of the light set, but will have to upgrade your projector.

Originally Posted by Fanatic
Thanks Zam. This is exactly what I wanted to find out.

Congrats on the new lights. The extra brightness on the W210 is proabablly due to the reflector in the housing of the In-pros vs the OEM housing.

The lights doesn't seem worth it unless you're willing to reto fit a set of hella projectors. I'm not willing to sacrafice lighting for looks (at least not yet :p )

Last edited by zam2000; 08-15-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:10 PM

an import
Great comparison.

Did you purposely chose the Depo brand instead of the In-Pro or is this just what AutoDynamic had in stock? I didn't realize that there was another mfg that did the retro-fit lights as most of the threads surrounded the In-Pro brand.

I suspect that the hotspots and the two beams of light will be similar for the In-Pro. You can almost make out this light pattern in some of the older photos once you know what to look for.

I too am sensitive to the light which is why this is a tough decision.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Zam

Originally Posted by zam2000
The new style headlight is made by Depo, not In-Pro. In term of quality, I would grade it as follow (score are against the W211 headlight set that I have).

1. Quality of craftmanship: 9/10. Though made by Depo, it's not the typical upgrade headlight you see on Civic or Acrua. The plastic feel high quality, the chrome reflector is good, all the tab and mount feel rigid, all the vent (yep, they do have vent) pipe and pressure valve are made properly. Weather strip look good. I put it against the headlight set of the OEM W211, and both are in par w/ quality. The only part that makes it not perfect score is the wire, they are not as thick as the OEM one.

2. Quality of projector (light): 4/10. Regardless of how I beam the headlight, I would get hot spot. Also, each projector creates two narrow light beams on the road (aim properly), well, unless I aim them completely upward and anoy every car in front of me, not to mention I can't see the road them. So what happen is that you would have it really bright in area within the area of these four beams, but pretty dark outside of them. When driving at night, especially in dark area, because the road is never perfectly smooth, you will see these four beams moving left or right, bouncing up and down (it's like having a really powerful flash light beaming at the road in dark night). Again, most people would probably not having much problem with it, but my eyes are pretty sensitive to light, so the pupils of my eyes, unintentionlally, keep follow these beams. This caused sleepiness and lost of attention to cars in front. Also, I have problem at on/off-ram. Again, this's probably just me. The OEM projector fixes all of these problems.

However, the look of the new style headlight totally change the look of the car, and that's why I did buy it again .

For most people, I think the new style headlight would work for them, both look and functionality.

For those that are quite picky about light, you will like the look of the light set, but will have to upgrade your projector.
I have the same problem with these lights,
The light pattern on the road and the lack of brightness is really disturbing for me. Yet the look of the light on the car prevents me from removing them and putting the old ones back on.
I would like to see your lights and your retrofit to see if I can do the same.
I live in SoCal so let me know how I could see them.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2004, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
QC issue? Projector unit or bulbs? I guess I'll have to x my fingers cuz my pair should be arriving (Autodynamic link) on TUE for me to install and find out.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Email me at hhbk@yahoo.com . I live in Orange County. I can show you what need to be replaced, and how to do it.

Once the projector's lens is replaced, you will <b> LOVE </b> the headlight, instead of liking it as now

Originally Posted by MBWorld1
I have the same problem with these lights,
The light pattern on the road and the lack of brightness is really disturbing for me. Yet the look of the light on the car prevents me from removing them and putting the old ones back on.
I would like to see your lights and your retrofit to see if I can do the same.
I live in SoCal so let me know how I could see them.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2004, 03:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Cool,

Check your e-mail.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:34 PM

hey zam or anyone,
other dayi was washing the car. afterwards i notice condensation in the "new projector" headlight housing. i did not spray water directly at the headlight , no problems with my orginal oem headlights. check for obvious leak in the housing. nothing.

any ideas. was it because my car which was driven earlier in the DAY(lights off) had heat inside the headlight causing the condensation..
Old 08-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 007
hey zam or anyone,
other dayi was washing the car. afterwards i notice condensation in the "new projector" headlight housing. i did not spray water directly at the headlight , no problems with my orginal oem headlights. check for obvious leak in the housing. nothing.

any ideas. was it because my car which was driven earlier in the DAY(lights off) had heat inside the headlight causing the condensation..

Hard to say, I haven't really noticed any condensation in mine but I didn't really look very hard.
I can check next time.

Maybe you have a leak somewhere.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:33 PM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
For those who are still looking to buy,this link may help,they are the InPro (german) variety:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
Old 08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sound hard to believe, but In-Pro are made in Taiwan . The light is probably make at the same plant making Depo

007: will wash my car this weekend and let you know. How much condensation do you have, do they go away shortly after ? You may want to take out the headlight and reseal them (w/ silicon).

I also, I notice that the rubber weather strip that came w/ the new headlight is pretty loose, while the OEM one is quite tight. I will probably use the strip from the OEM one for the new light. Alright, will set to do it this weekend, along w/ the re-sealing.

Also, don't forget, with the old headlight, because it's so dull, you can't see anything inside it, well, unless the light is filled with dark liquid . With the clear headlight, any little thing will be noticed right away.

Check out lights forum, and BMW forum, this's a common problem, you'll see what I mean

Originally Posted by ruffrob
For those who are still looking to buy,this link may help,they are the InPro (german) variety:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

Last edited by zam2000; 08-16-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:46 PM

condensation was around half way of all lights.(and i never spraydirectly on light, just on the hood while washing.) tookme awile to get rid of them, had to drive with lights on in daytime for two days. for the high beam lights, i turned on the lights when the car was in the garage.
overall i think it took around 4-5 days for complete resolution.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should have just take out the light, open up the back panel and the bulb, put in the hair dryer for like 10 mins, then vacum it (vac-shop 'll be good)

30 mins at most

Search for "condensation" in hidforum, good resolution.

Originally Posted by 007
condensation was around half way of all lights.(and i never spraydirectly on light, just on the hood while washing.) tookme awile to get rid of them, had to drive with lights on in daytime for two days. for the high beam lights, i turned on the lights when the car was in the garage.
overall i think it took around 4-5 days for complete resolution.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally Posted by zam2000
Sound hard to believe, but In-Pro are made in Taiwan . The light is probably make at the same plant making Depo

This is accurately true, in fact I posted this info several months ago on this forum...Depo/Maxzone manufacture the "In Pro" projectors in Deer Port Taiwan...(DEer POrt).

Now if you desire for "Spark" (the Japan version) be ready to drop change $2550 US for the unit w/HID Their is a minor difference in look tho.

Since the Nov. install, I've yet to see/experience any condensation inside the lens...and this baby gets the steve detailing treatment frequently.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:31 AM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
I got mine installed today,but after a trip to my favorite car wash,I saw the condensation on the driver's side light housing. When I took it back to my guy,he said that to seal it ,he would need a day to apply the silicone (appplying,and drying,he said),and also indicated that it would be a 'bytch'' if I had to change the bulbs which should be only once in a blue (no pun intended). Anyone know where I can get Phillips Blue Vision bulbs in NJ? I looked thru Yahoo,and my local franchise stores (Strauss,Pep Boys,AutoZone) but no luck yet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought mine from UK. Strange, just a pair of bulb, but I couldn't seem to find them anywhere in the US. There're plenty of Vision Plus thought.

The Hella projector and the Blue Vision gives a blue-ish effect, just as you see in Audi. I just order a set of ballast and Xenon light, will install them into my car this weekend.

I will seal my headlight this weekend then. YOu don't need a day for the silicon to dry out. Put it near a fan, should dry in an hour or so, especially durring summer time.

I got mine installed today,but after a trip to my favorite car wash,I saw the condensation on the driver's side light housing. When I took it back to my guy,he said that to seal it ,he would need a day to apply the silicone (appplying,and drying,he said),and also indicated that it would be a 'bytch'' if I had to change the bulbs which should be only once in a blue (no pun intended). Anyone know where I can get Phillips Blue Vision bulbs in NJ? I looked thru Yahoo,and my local franchise stores (Strauss,Pep Boys,AutoZone) but no luck yet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
<......>Anyone know where I can get Phillips Blue Vision bulbs in NJ? I looked thru Yahoo,and my local franchise stores (Strauss,Pep Boys,AutoZone) but no luck yet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Daniel Stern's site says that NJ has very strict headlight/color requirements. Also, it appears that PBV bulbs are not DOT approved so getting easy access to these in the US may be a bit more challenging than others.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:40 PM

97 Black E420 W210
Sounds like quite a few people are interested in the new head lights. Can somebody set up a GROUP BUY?
Old 08-23-2004, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Autodynamic units installed

99 E320, Bordeaux

Before.....

After....

Closeup....
Old 08-23-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Looks good Raymond

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new style head lights, any one ?