E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Lazy sunroof deflector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes-Benz E430
Unhappy Lazy sunroof deflector

My built-in sunroof deflector does not come up when I open my sunroof. If I want it up, I have to reach up and manually lift it. When I do not, there is terrible wind noise.

Have any of you experienced this? If so, what is the fix for it? I only have 6,000 miles on my car and I don't want to have to make a trip to dealer especially for this. If I do need to go to the dealer to get it fixed, I will.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:19 PM

2012 CL550
I had the same problem on my 97 E420. You may be able to fix this yourself. There are some small metal "springs" on either side of the deflector mechanism that make it pop up. They are not actually coiled springs, but a narrow strip of metal that is flexible enough to bend when the roof is closed. They are fairly easy to remove, bend by hand so they are stiffer, and replace. Try that before you go to the dealer. That worked ok for me for a while, but I eventually had the dealer order a new set and now it works just fine. I understand this is a common problem.

You may also want to take off the metal strip that covers the headliner on the windsheild side of the roof. That may also be impedeing the deflector from opening. Mine came loose and wouldn't stay in place. I simply removed it, bent it by hand a little, tightened the brackets by bending them, and replaced it. Now it fits on there very tight. Be careful, though, that you don't rip your headliner. That would be an altogether other nightmare!

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:05 PM

2001 Mercedes-Benz E430
Re: Lazy sunroof deflector

Originally posted by E 4.3
My built-in sunroof deflector does not come up when I open my sunroof. If I want it up, I have to reach up and manually lift it. When I do not, there is terrible wind noise.

Have any of you experienced this? If so, what is the fix for it? I only have 6,000 miles on my car and I don't want to have to make a trip to dealer especially for this. If I do need to go to the dealer to get it fixed, I will.
REPAIRED!!! The dealer did it today!