E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Check Engine light is ON

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2000 w/GPS
Check Engine light is ON

Guys,
I cannot believe this, my car just went over 50k miles, like 700 miles over, and check engine light came on! Just enough time not to be covered by the warranty! But car seems run fine, No malfunctions on the cluster! So What could be wrong? is it Emission problem or fuel. "I doubble checked my fuel caps, tight it twice" didn't seems to be the issue.
I am gonna give a call to the dealer, hopefully they still let me do it under warranty, would they do it as coutsey since it just went over the warranty?
Or I should just go find a Diag.tool from Autozone, see what the fault says?

I have E320, MY2000.

any input is appreciated!!

Last edited by kicker; 08-18-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Autozone can read the codes for you. You don't need to buy the scan tool yourself. The seal around the gas cap could be leaking and still look alright. It could be your O2 sensor going bad but you car will still run well. Until you know what the code is that set the CEL on, it is just guess work.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
My E320 Y2K model with 40k milage experienced the "Check Engine" twice within 3 years. First time replaced the O2 sensors. Second time replaced the MAF(Air-Flow Meter). You need to go to the M.B.dealer and dianogsis from their computer.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:46 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
MAF sensor

Took it to the dealer this afternoon, for now I guess it's a MAF (mass air flow) sensor, will know for sure when call back tomorrow morning.

Since my warranty just expired few days ago, so dealer is willing to pay for the parts, and I pay labor. Guess it's pretty fair. since sensor cost more than 300 dollars now days.
The funny thing is yesterday I had a full tank of gas, but I only drove about 65 miles, is already down to half of the tank today! MAF sensor really went bad, too much air intake, wrong fuel mixture output. drink gas like crazy.

Hopefully everything will be ok! Does anyone know how many hours of labor for the sensor replacement? 0.5hrs? they probably gonna charge me at least 1 hr.

thanks,
Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
and I pay labor.
It will take 10 minutes...if they are slow!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:44 AM

DO NOT let them charge you any more that 1/2 hour labor to replace the MAF. It's about as easy to change as a lightbulb. 1/2 hour is still a ripoff but if they're willing to buy the part it's probably worth it. Seriously, all they need to do is unplug 1 wire and 2 clips and then swap the part. A 5 year old could do it...
Old 08-19-2004, 06:44 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
dealer ripped me off!!

Well, got my car back today, they did pay for the part, but they charged me 3 hrs for the labor $306. because they said they need to re-calibrate the values..and testing...etc.. I know they are full of you know what, but since the MAF would cost me $300 anyway. so we are about even.
I was on the way home and want to fill up the gas to full and calculate the milage, but I wasn't able to fill up the tank to full level, don't know why, still got about 3 gallons shy to make 21.1 gal. full capacity. Now the tank is only showing 17.9 Gallons. Tried two different pumps cannot even top off, I don't know if its the gas station problem or my tank got too much pressure. I'll try different gas station later on today! any ideas??

thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 02:53 PM

2000 E430
Same happened to me this week. Here's the diagnosis...

My CE light on my 2000 E430 came on this week for the first time at 50,500 miles. Took it to my indepedent Mercedes service shop since the car's warranty expired in April 2004. Here is cost breakdown using all Bosch parts:

Diagnostics = $165.35 labor
Replace O2 sensor = $77.16 labor + $145 part
Replace MAF meter = $110.23 labor + $245 part

The car has four (4) O2 sensors so I imagine that the other 3 may go bad in the near future. I was told that "bad" gas can cause premature O2 sensor failure. Tech advised to use Chevron, 76 or Mobile. Arco and Shell are the worst. He also said to run a fuel cleaner through. Regular fill-ups with Chevron with Techron may make that unnecessary.

In CA, the MAF meter can be damaged due to the fine airborne dust particles. My car already had the "newer" air filter installed that seems to seal better preventing dust to enter the air flow system.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c220--sold now--W210
Most of the time your Check Engine Light goes on its the Mass Air Sensor. It got me on my 2000 E320 earlier this year. I only had 38K on the clock. The dealer told me its probably from all the additives in the gas in CA. Luckily I was still under warranty. Its a throw up on which gas is best. If you think about it in the Bay Area there are only three refineries, but alot of gas stations. My guess is who's got the cleaner tanks. That CE Light is the biggest pain but what can you do. That the price we pay to drive a Benzo. I paid like 400 for a sensor when I had my C Class.

the good part about it is if you had it replaced, you're good for a while now. Cruise time! Go for a ride. By the way, I had the same experience with filling up my tank. No matter how much gas i tried to put in it never read to its full capacity. I tried it once but now forget it. I just put gas as needed. I don't try to fill it up all the way.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Woow, my shop did it for free (labor), since they said it a 5 minutes job (include open & closing the hood )

Most dealer treats MAF as a waiver to rob customer. Next time, just get one from Phil at FastLane for $270, and put it in yourself.

Originally Posted by kicker
Well, got my car back today, they did pay for the part, but they charged me 3 hrs for the labor $306. because they said they need to re-calibrate the values..and testing...etc.. I know they are full of you know what, but since the MAF would cost me $300 anyway. so we are about even.
I was on the way home and want to fill up the gas to full and calculate the milage, but I wasn't able to fill up the tank to full level, don't know why, still got about 3 gallons shy to make 21.1 gal. full capacity. Now the tank is only showing 17.9 Gallons. Tried two different pumps cannot even top off, I don't know if its the gas station problem or my tank got too much pressure. I'll try different gas station later on today! any ideas??

thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 08:52 AM

too bad bfukmoto...

That is a prime example of why you should find a reputable local mechanic and ALWAYS stay away from the dealer. $160 to diagnose a bad O2 and MAF??? WTF, all they need to do is plug in the computer and read the codes!!! My mechanic does that for free for me. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty and try some of this stuff yourself. The beauty of German engineering is that a lot of these things can be done yourself with standard metric tools. Forums like this one will help you diagnose and fix the majority of problems in a newer Benz.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:46 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
stupid fuel sending unit...

Originally Posted by zam2000
Woow, my shop did it for free (labor), since they said it a 5 minutes job (include open & closing the hood )

Most dealer treats MAF as a waiver to rob customer. Next time, just get one from Phil at FastLane for $270, and put it in yourself.
Hope this MAF will last for a while now. Now I am just watching my fuel sending unit, still won't show full when tank is full. I am on my 2nd fill up now. Will keep watching the gauge see how it goes. If I didn't like it down the road. Will replce that myself. $170 or so.