E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Upgaded my wheels please help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgaded my wheels please help!!

I have a 2000 e430, I bought a set of weels from ebay for me car, they were for a s class thought so I was getting rubbing on the inner lip in the front wheels, so i bought H&R hubacentric 5mm spacers. I put on the spacers and everything seemed fine until I drover over 40mph. I am getting random steering wheel shakes and the whole car shakes at some speeds, some more then others not directry corrilated with speed (I went over 80 and 90 and sometimes the shaking dissaperes at that speeds but sometimes doesn't very random, but mostly their there) What can I do, the front wheels were balances, they look grade but make the car drive awful what can I do to fix the shaking please help!!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Strange, there should be no probs with the H&R's - are you sure you've got those spacers on properly and torqued your bolts? I once had a spacer that wasn't on straight which made a wheel dangerously wobbly, obviously the cause of vibes. Get a wheel shop to do it if in doubt....its your life man!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

wheels

Yeh, the stangest thing is a wheel shop did do it, the wheels have a couple of bends to them, would that do it, if yes how can I fix that? I am going back there wed, any help before I go there and spend a copious amounts of money for them to do nothing.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
The wheels you have are AMG Style I's which, according to the Ebay ad came off an SL55. Lets just assume you were right in saying it came off an S instead. Anyway, the best way to check is the first 3 numbers on the wheel's serial numbers will give you the model the wheel was designated for - 140 or 220 = S, 129 or 230 = SL. Anyways, the moral of this story is never believe everything that is advertized on Ebay. It says the wheels will fit E, S, SL, SEL......true to a certain extent but with some mods needed.

Firstly, according to the AMG spec book, the style I for the S is 8.5", ET44 + 9.5" ET46. You need at least a 10mm spacer to get the offset to ET34 in the front, approximating standard for the E, but a 15mm spacer to get to approx ET30 for a better fender alignment (I have 8.5" with ET30). You'll need at least a 10mm spacer in the back to achieve a good fender alignment and clearance (N.B. that's assuming those wheels are standard S).

I believe the bolt seat (the ball joint that is in contact with the wheel) for the S is also different to the W210 so if you are correct in saying they came off an S, it could also be the bolt (assuming you got some W210 bolts but longer to accomodate the spacer). If it has the correct bolt hole diameter (i.e. 12mm) or even larger ones (I can't remember if the S has 14 or 12 mm), then obviously it will fit into the hole but the amount of contact/bite with the wheel will be compromized. Therefore there would also be a greater chance that the wheel isn't on straight since the bolts will not be snug and its more difficult to try straighten it, than say with a proper bolt seat.

If they did in fact come off an SL, then as far as the offset is concerned, you shouldn't have any problems since AMG standard is ET30 and ET33, front and rear respectively (therefore close enough to fit nicely on an E). This leads me to believe that maybe you are right in saying it came off an S if the inside of the wheel rubbed. In any case, again, the issue with the bolt size and seat design also applies for SL wheels (the current model SL's use 14mm bolts and a different seat I understand).

All these reasons, together with a crookedly fitted spacer, would cause vibrations - all leading to the wheel not being on straight. Check that all these are right. Like I said, your life depends on it - don't mess about or try to cut corners but it can ultimately be fixed once you've identified the cause of the problem Good luck!
Old 08-20-2004, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by EShklovsky
Yeh, the stangest thing is a wheel shop did do it, the wheels have a couple of bends to them, would that do it, if yes how can I fix that? I am going back there wed, any help before I go there and spend a copious amounts of money for them to do nothing.
If not too bad, I think wheel repair shops can fix it. You'll need one of the guys in your hood here to recommend a shop. Again, a possible cause of vibes but still remember what I have said in the previous posts....very important that these are right too
Old 08-20-2004, 01:23 PM

whitey,
can a wheel lorinser rs 90 17" wiht offset 24 fit on the 97 w210. saw it in the classified page 2.
thanks in adavance.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by 007
whitey,
can a wheel lorinser rs 90 17" wiht offset 24 fit on the 97 w210. saw it in the classified page 2.
thanks in adavance.
How wide? Guess not cuz the offet cannot be increased (unless you bother to shave the wheel but that would weaken it). Unless its like 7"-7.5", I guess not. Also depends on the bolts, what car did it come off?
Old 08-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Damn Whitey,

You sure know your wheels and tires.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:32 PM

here u go whitey,
the wheel is bent too.
https://mbworld.org/forums/classifieds/78634-fs-so-cal-17-chrome-lorinser-rs90-rims-wheels.html

your thoughts?
Old 08-20-2004, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by 007
the wheel is bent too
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Don't bother!!!!! Get some Chromed AMG Style II's (like E Klasse) and you'll have less hassles and be much happier and safer. One thing I've learnt (very painfully, ouch!) is never to rush into it and to make very sure you get the wheels you really want upfront.....you'll save yourself a lot of cash (if you haven't already bought them). Otherwise it could well be the biggest investment (if you can call it that) you'll ever make on your ride - for me, wheels and tires have been more than half of what I put into the car so far, even with trade-ins!!!!! And the car isn't any faster

In EShklovsky's case, he'll just have to try resolve the problem (I don't like the idea the wheel is bent...maybe he can return them for mis-representation - the ad never said they were bent ).

Last edited by Whitey; 08-20-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by MBWorld1
Damn Whitey,

You sure know your wheels and tires.

....I don't really but did pay a very high price to learn what I know........... (as my sig pic shows...I really did have those wheels in the space of the past 2 yrs - don't ask why!)

Last edited by Whitey; 08-20-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:37 PM

alright white,
thanks man,,holding off until the right ones comes along..
knew i could always count on you.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by 007
alright white,
thanks man,,holding off until the right ones comes along..
knew i could always count on you.
No worries, just hate to see someone get into the same trap I got into