E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2001 e430 key wont turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e430 w21
2001 e430 key wont turn

I purchased a matched EIS, ESL, ECU and key fob from ebay because my E430 kept telling me to remove the key and wouldnt turn. All the numbers on the parts matched the ones in my vehicle. The set was tested and is claimed to be ok however when I replace everything the new key operated the doors and trunk but still will not allow the ignition to turn. What am I missing? Please help
Old 11-24-2020, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by SchwarmarkE430
I purchased a matched EIS, ESL, ECU and key fob from ebay because my E430 kept telling me to remove the key and wouldnt turn. All the numbers on the parts matched the ones in my vehicle. The set was tested and is claimed to be ok however when I replace everything the new key operated the doors and trunk but still will not allow the ignition to turn. What am I missing? Please help
See if this thread sheds some light for your situation.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e430 w21
I thank you for the link to information regarding the key no turn issue. As I had mentioned I did go the route of purchasing from ebay an EIS,ESL,ECU and key from a donar car. All part numbers matched my existing vehicle so I thought this would be a slam dunk.
let me also add that my steering wheel is not locked and ti my knowledge hasn't locked since the rack and pinion was replaced approximately 6 months ago?? Plus I dont recall hearing the motor in the ESL turning recently but that might be me just not paying attention.
Anyway, getting the ESL out of the car was not as easy as one might think ,even with the steering not locked but I was able to get it out and put the new one in. Also installed the new ECU,EIS and while the doors all unlock and lock with the key fob I am still not able to turn the key, hear no whirl when the key is inserted with the message to remove key on the dash. Because my old key's remote functionality had not worked for some time I'd been opening and locking the doors manually. ***interesting fact I discovered is that with the new key the lock. Unlock and trunk buttons work BUT when I hit the panic button instead of hearing the factory alarm (horn) beeping I only hear click, click until I press the panic button again. Could this be indicative of another issue? Also, in trying to get the 2 wire Pigtail ( green and green/yellow) out of the EIS the pigtail broke in half . I was able to piece it back together but because the wires came out I'm not 109% sure which wire connects to which terminal post. Does anybody know what these wires are for, which one attaches where and could that be part of my issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently at the end of my rope! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SchwarmarkE430; 11-25-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by SchwarmarkE430
I thank you for the link to information regarding the key no turn issue. As I had mentioned I did go the route of purchasing from ebay an EIS,ESL,ECU and key from a donar car. All part numbers matched my existing vehicle so I thought this would be a slam dunk.
let me also add that my steering wheel is not locked and ti my knowledge hasn't locked since the rack and pinion was replaced approximately 6 months ago?? Plus I dont recall hearing the motor in the ESL turning recently but that might be me just not paying attention.
anyway, getting the ESL out of the car was not as easy as one might think ,even with the steering not locked but I was able to get it out and put the new one in. Also installed the new ECU,EIS and while the doors all unlock and lock with the key fob I am still not able to turn the key, hear no whirl when the key is inserted with the message to remove key on the dash. Because my old key's remote functionality had not worked for some time I'd been opening and licking the doors manually. ***interesting fact I discovered is that with the new key the lock. Unlock and trunk buttons work BUT when I hit the panic button instead of hearing the factory alarm (horn) beeping I only hear click, click until I press the panic button again. Could this be indicative of another issue? Also, in trying to get the 2 wire Pigtail ( green and green/yellow) out of the EIS the pigtail broke in half . I was able to piece it back together but because the wires came out I'm not 109% sure which wire connects to which terminal post. Does anybody know what these wires are for and could that be part of my issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently at the end of my rope! Thanks in advance.
I would suggest you head over the BW forum and post your issue on the w210 forum. The good knowledgeable members of DAS, mrboca, Deplore, over there should be able to assist you.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
The only way you will ever tell if the seller was true is that you determine that the VIN number matches all the elements, because I think they do not match because the key is not being recognized. Very simple. How do I do that------send of to a tuner who can edit the key and ecu