E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Tinter - SEA area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
Tinter - SEA area

Wasn't having much luck locating a tinter who would even acknowledge the need for felting as described on this board. Finally found accutintseattle.com which is about 4 miles from me which was recommended by Phil Smart dealer. Accutint volunteered the info about felt/moleskin (eg as oppose to pimply face response '....uh...yeah dude, we could do that..."). Most others I contacted won't remove the door panel or any other special work related to tinting. So I'll prob give A/T a try. Have two E320s to tint. Feel free to list any others you may have had positive experience with in SEA metro area. Tnx.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
97 E420
Raymond,

Im looking for a good tinter who has heard of the term moleskin or eelskins for the windows here in seattle too. Let me know how they work out.

I found a great mechanic in kirkland on the eastside. "Automeister II" on 85th.

-o
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Thanks for the tip. Re tinter, how about asking Barrier who does their vehicles? They might recommend someone closer vs having to cross the bridge. Intriguing thing with Seattle Accutint: when I asked about using felt or moleskin, the guy on phone sounded puzzled. But a minute later, he seemingly changed his tune when I mentioned the hardness of the window rubber/gasket thing and said something like "oh yeah, we install liners to minimize scratching on the tint material". So either he was really speaking from experience, or, he was using my cue (felt/moleskin) and trying to sound as if he was familiar with the technique I described. Either way, I will ask again before leaving my car with them. Or will dbl check when I pick up the car. I have two E320s to tint.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:39 PM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
Wish I had thought of that when I did mine,I have these fine lines in my tint,that fortunately,only I notice. Prior to reading your thread,Ray,I didn't know this could be addressed,and now that i know,I don't know who does it,but I'm in the NY/NJ area,there's bound to be someone.......
Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 E500
I had the fronts on my '97 re-tinted by Accutint and they did a nice job. I discussed the moleskin/felt issue with them and they advised against it. To get those products to adhere to the very thin rubber on the door/window seal is virtually impossible. I trusted their judgment as they do this work every day and I certainly don't. I figured adding another element into the German design of the window/door mechanism didn't make a lot of sense.

My car is/was an AZ car and after 7 years the tint was scratched. I think I paid about $85 for the two fronts. If I have to do that every 7 years, I can live with it.

I'm thinking about having the W124 done in the spring. Something that works well with the ext/int color combo.

Ciao for now
Old 09-13-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by KyGuy
I had the fronts on my '97 re-tinted by Accutint and they did a nice job. I discussed the moleskin/felt issue with them and they advised against it. To get those products to adhere to the very thin rubber on the door/window seal is virtually impossible. I trusted their judgment as they do this work every day and I certainly don't. I figured adding another element into the German design of the window/door mechanism didn't make a lot of sense.

My car is/was an AZ car and after 7 years the tint was scratched. I think I paid about $85 for the two fronts. If I have to do that every 7 years, I can live with it.
Ciao for now

I had mine done without mole skin aswell, however I disagree with your tint guy. The scratches appeared on my car about a month after tint install. Several other members have had the moleskin installed on their cars and have had no issues. Sounds like Accutint talked themselves out of a little extra work.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Got off my butt, played hookey from work, and brought the 1999 down for 35% tint. Good job. Darker then I'd like but i'll not lose any sleep over it. Will bring the 2000 in next week. Did a side-by-side, so that my brother can see how it looks. He's playing soldier in Kabul and wants his silver ride tinted before he gets home.

(yeah, yeah....rims are next, but I don't have good paying job like you guys, so it'll be a few months more)
photo

Last edited by raymond g-; 09-25-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:48 AM
Almost a Member!

97 E420
looking good!

lookin good Raymond, how much was it out the door? I will give those guys a try.