E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

TPS signal on E320 M104 (twin turbo)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320TT -97
TPS signal on E320 M104 (twin turbo)

Hello!
I'm new on the forum, and new to MB's. I'm used to working on BMW's, but decided to try another German car for a change.
I bought a w210 320 auto from -97. The thing that made me interested was that it had a Mosselman twin turbo conversion, and a Lorinzer styling kit with body trim, wheels and rear silencer. The car was not running well, so I figured it would be a interesting challenge. The car is in decent shape, and not totally rusted up like most of the W210's here in Sweden.

At the moment I'm at the point where I decided to run the (larger) injectors from an aftermarket ECU, and the rest is managed by the stock ECU. The reason being a combination of simplicity and shift quality. The stock ECU can communicate over can with the EGS and retard ignition at shifts to make them smooth, while the aftermarket ECU can manage proper fueling with boost.

However I have an issue with acceleration enrichment. I can't make it work well using only the MAP signal in the aftermarket ECU, I'm convinced the TPS signal is needed. I have been looking at schematics and measuring a bit, and it seems there is no proper (hard wired) TPS signal to the HFM ECU. I found one 5-0V signal that works with ignition on, but goes to 0 when the engine is started.

So I have learned that the throttle is managed by this separate EA/CC/ISC module (since car has ASR and cruise). This module seems to read the throttle potentiometers, so I should be able to get the TPS signal from there. The problem now is that I can't find the module! It seems it should be located under the 'footrest plate' on the passenger side in the W210, but I only found some relay and small box there, but no control module. I also looked in the 'e-box' where the HFM ECU is located, and nothing that resembles the EA/CC/ISC is there (looked at pic's of the EA/CC/ISC on the internet, should be an aluminum box as it seems).

I'm hoping some experienced MB people can chime in here and guide me to the TPS signal

Old 11-02-2021, 08:02 AM

E320TT -97
It seems my question may have been answered by the guy that I bought HFMscan software from: The HFM controls the throttle on my car, so no EA/CC/ISC (explains why I couldn't find it ) I have some schematics from him, and I will double check it in the evening.

Seems there are a lot of variations on this, and they did last minute changes to the M104 setup too, before changing to the M112... confusing.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
everyone will not fall into this weekend ***** trap if you do searches in WIS by VIN repeat VIN and not by asking ones girlfriend
Old 11-03-2021, 02:41 PM

E320TT -97
Not sure how to interpret that reply..?
Is there some online WIS to look everything up?
I'm new to the MB scene, and compared to BMW's it seems a lot harder to find technical info on the web, and also powerful diagnostic/coding tools don't come cheap.