E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2001 E320 Wagon SLS Struts bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 07:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2001 E320 4Matic
2001 E320 Wagon SLS Struts bad?

Hey everyone I've finished the job of replacing the back end of my wagon. Everything but the CV axles replaced out including parking brakes, SLS level, back hydraulic lines, spheres and lines.
After filling the hydraulic system and having the SLS lever on 'F' with the car revved to 2500rpm for one minute and putting that lever to 'L' and nutting up the linkage, I placed the car back to the ground and found it up on the drivers side and low on the passenger.
I started working on removing the tire off the drivers side as I had to bleed the brakes and just as I was to remove it, the back end loudly popped twice and the drivers side back at the wheel dropped a good few inches.

When jacking up the car, the pops were there again but less pronounced.
After lowering the car back down, no pops but both sides are level at 26 inches from ground to middle point of the quarter panel at the wheel well.

I believe that should be around 36 inches?
I believe my struts are dead? Inspection of both struts show no indication of leaking but the car had started sagging on the back end considerably just before I put her up on blocks to rip out everything back there.

I believe I've followed the pressurization instructions correctly, they aren't that hard. Anyone know of anything else?