E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Alpine Navigation and iPod controller installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Various M cars, 99 SLK230
Thanks for the tips.

Oh, and sorry, I forogot to say earlier - THAT is a beautiful install.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 E320
So after a few weeks of driving around, I did start to miss having immediate access to my climate controls. So I swapped the head unit and climate controls (again) and I actually like having the monitor higher as it is closer to the road.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine Navigation and iPod controller installed-ontop.jpg  
Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 PM

W212 & W210
does the monitor block the air flow from the center vents?
Looks like it in the pictures.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:18 PM

2000 E320
Originally Posted by OceanView
does the monitor block the air flow from the center vents?
Looks like it in the pictures.
Blocks about 1/4 of the air flow. The angle of the picture makes it look worse.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:11 PM

E-420 sport
I was just wondering if you could send me any details on the install of the head unit. I have the clarion 745 and I hate it. It sticks out about 2 1/2 inches off of the dash and really looks out of place. I just won the Alpine on e-bay and should be here by next week. I had a local shop install the clarion but I really like what you did and think that I could at least try to do it myself since most places don't like installing equipment not purchased at their store.

My e-mail addy. is Lafool@buckeye-express.com just in case you've done this before and might want to copy and paste me. I also have the clarion changer in the trunk and was wondering if the data cable is the same for the alpine units? I've only had my system for about a month and it sounds good hooked up through the factory bose amp and one amp on a 12 inch kicker sub but I just don't like the head unit install its not classy at all.. Thanx for your help..L.A.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:16 PM

2000 E320
Originally Posted by Lafool
I was just wondering if you could send me any details on the install of the head unit. I have the clarion 745 and I hate it. It sticks out about 2 1/2 inches off of the dash and really looks out of place. I just won the Alpine on e-bay and should be here by next week. I had a local shop install the clarion but I really like what you did and think that I could at least try to do it myself since most places don't like installing equipment not purchased at their store.

My e-mail addy. is Lafool@buckeye-express.com just in case you've done this before and might want to copy and paste me. I also have the clarion changer in the trunk and was wondering if the data cable is the same for the alpine units? I've only had my system for about a month and it sounds good hooked up through the factory bose amp and one amp on a 12 inch kicker sub but I just don't like the head unit install its not classy at all.. Thanx for your help..L.A.
Who did you buy the unit off of on eBay? Just make sure the serial numbers aren't ground off the head unit and brain otherwise you'll never be able to get it serviced should it ever fail. Details... hmm... if you haven't done any installs before you may be in for a lot of headache and may want to have someone do it for you. If you have done an install before, it will be fairly straight forward. There isn't a lot of room in the W210 dash so it's a little tricky running wires and finding places to hide fuse blocks, etc. But it's nothing you can't figure out. Also, I don't believe the Alpine units can control a Clarion changer. You can always post a question if you get stuck on something.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:32 PM

E-420 sport
I figured that the alpine didn't control the clarion changer my ? is if the Ai net cable worked for both so I wouldn't have to run that back to the trunk again. I am purchasing an alpine changer. The installer talked me out of buying the pioneer telling me that no unit with a seperate brain would fit in my car because the mercedes is so tight and no place to put the brain. He said that the cars cpu rests under the passenger side carpet. So I bought the all inclusive clarion unit. But it sticks out so damn far and looks ill. I like the clean look you have and have access to have some fabrication such as the cover for the brain unit underneath like yours.

I'm not sure where all of the screws are to get middle dash unit apart. L.A.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:45 PM

2000 E320

I'm not sure where all of the screws are to get middle dash unit apart. L.A.

No screws in the middle dash. Once you pull the stereo, cubby, and climate control out, you pretty much have all the access you need. If you need to pull the ash tray assembly out, you first need to remove the wood plate around the gear shift which just pops off and reveals two screws that hold the ash tray assembly in.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:56 PM

E-420 sport
Thanx, I really appreciate the help. Still waiting on the ebay bid but it does look like I have it but who knows. I will need to get the key to pull units out and shove the other in oops gently place and guide those fuse blocks somewhere. Did you make the brackets you have holding the brain? L.A.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by figure1a
As you can see the brain and all it's wires are visible since they are mounted to the bottom of the dash in the passenger area (picture 1). .
Nice install!

If it's not too much trouble, I've got a few question:

1) the hideaway module, or "brain" as you call it, is for
the headunit, right? can it be mounted in the trunk,
next to the navigation unit? (or is the cable not long
enough?)

2) with the LCD headunit in the upper (climate control)
slot, doesn't the A/C blow cold air towards the screen
all the time? What happens when the car is turned off
and the screen is retracted on a hot day? Wouldn't the
"chilled" LCD screen collect condensation inside the
headunit?

3) How well does the headunit control the iPod? Are the
track number/names displayed on the headunit's LCD?
Is it easy to jump from track to track, search for songs,
and/or fast forward/reverse?

4) can you provide the name of the ebay seller for the
headunit and nav system? I've usually stayed away
from Ebay on more expensive electronic items, but if
the seller who sold you the stuff is legit, I may take
a look...

Thank you very much for your time!

Last edited by creamypanda; 11-19-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:32 AM

2000 E320
1) The cable is not long enough to get to the trunk. You could buy an extension from Alpine. You would probably need 2 extensions at $50 each.

2) Never noticed any condensation. I don't think the MB A/C is cold enough--you would need refrigerator temperatures wheras the lowest the MB blows is 56˚ if you are lucky. I live in San Diego so my A/C is pretty much on all the time.

3) iPod control is "good". The iPod controller has some bugs. Once in a while skipping from song to song is delayed which can be frustrating because then you push the skip button an extra time and it skips 2 songs instead of 1, etc. Also, another bug, if your iPod depletes it's battery (somtimes I don't drive that car for a few days and the iPod battery drains for some reason), then the next time you turn on the system the Alpine unit says "Magazine Not Found". The way to rectify that problem is to manually turn on the iPod which will then start to immediately charge and be recognized by the Alpine system. IMO, the Alpine iPod controller should be able to do that on it's own.

4) Don't remember the eBay sellers names. The nav came from one seller, brand new in the box for $600. The first head unit that I got was brand new in the box but the serial numbers were ground off so that unit went to the police and VISA is in the process of getting my money back--the seller on eBay was XLNCINC--he claimed to be mystified why the serial numbers were ground off. I got another unit on eBay brand new in the box for $1100. Lesson here: always pay with your credit card for any high value items on eBay in case of any problems. Never pay with just PayPal or PayPal using checking account funds because PayPal will do nothing in helping you recover your funds except say "We are investigating blah, blah, blah..."
Old 11-20-2004, 11:31 AM

E-420 sport
Hey, thanx figure1, i got that ugly clarion out of my car and did your install with the alpine and it looks 100% better . I appreciate all the help and my e-bay purchase went smoothly. Now all I need to do is get rid of this clarion unit with the changer. Also the seller had a device to automatically turn the video on while driving and it didn't work so "they" hooked it up with some button switch combo that is a little annoying. I've seen some switches on ebay that claim to work but sice you've been som helpful so far I thought I'd check with you first before making any more bad purchases. Thanx again.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice install! How do you find out which VW adaptor is needed?

I have a 2002 Porsche 911 w/ Bose that I'd like to install NAV and still utilize the Bose system. Crutchfield doesn't have an adaptor for my car and they don't know which if any VW adaptor would work.

I'm contemplating on hooking up the Nav to the stock HU's CD changer input using a Becker adaptor or use a FM modulator to get the sound when I play DVD movies.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:42 PM

2000 E320
Hey, thanx figure1, i got that ugly clarion out of my car and did your install with the alpine and it looks 100% better . I appreciate all the help and my e-bay purchase went smoothly. Now all I need to do is get rid of this clarion unit with the changer. Also the seller had a device to automatically turn the video on while driving and it didn't work so "they" hooked it up with some button switch combo that is a little annoying. I've seen some switches on ebay that claim to work but sice you've been som helpful so far I thought I'd check with you first before making any more bad purchases. Thanx again.
Use the Pac TR-7 (there's hundreds of them on eBay--the guy who sells them brand new will get it to you in a day or two after you pay). The TR-7 is pretty good. Once you connect it there are not switches or toggles needed. It works automatically and you forget that it's even there.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:52 PM

2000 E320
Originally Posted by djantlive
Nice install! How do you find out which VW adaptor is needed?

I have a 2002 Porsche 911 w/ Bose that I'd like to install NAV and still utilize the Bose system. Crutchfield doesn't have an adaptor for my car and they don't know which if any VW adaptor would work.

I'm contemplating on hooking up the Nav to the stock HU's CD changer input using a Becker adaptor or use a FM modulator to get the sound when I play DVD movies.
Unless someone on a Porsche board can direct you, the easiest way to figure out what harness adapter you need is to slide out your head unit just enough so you can see the wiring harness on the back and then match it up with the harness at you local audio store.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:51 PM

E-420 sport
The model that came with my e-bay purchase is PTR7 peripheral, universal trigger output module. This kind of sounds like a generic version of what you are talking about. the word PAC isn't on this one.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:14 AM

2000 E320
The model that came with my e-bay purchase is PTR7 peripheral, universal trigger output module. This kind of sounds like a generic version of what you are talking about. the word PAC isn't on this one.
I think there is only one TR-7 out there. That may just be an older model/label.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:09 AM

1999 E430
So, let me get this straight - all i need to do with an Alpine head unit is swap out the old unit and use a VW wiring harness? No need to mess with the wiring to the amp at all?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Originally Posted by keypinup
So, let me get this straight - all i need to do with an Alpine head unit is swap out the old unit and use a VW wiring harness? No need to mess with the wiring to the amp at all?
Basically... yes
Old 03-02-2005, 10:09 PM

2000 E320
So, I'm selling my car and all this stuff. If anyone wants any of it, it's in the last post of this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...17#post1042317
Old 07-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Almost a Member!

99 E55
figure1, lafool - how flush is your 300 unit in the dash? i have the 310, which is the ugprade to the 300, and based on the pictures shown in this thread i was expecting the unit to sit practically flush. it could be camera angles though.

the 310 isnt sticking out nearly as bad as 2.5 inches like the clarion but it does stick out about 0,5 inches...is this normal or can i get the installer to move the unit deeper into the DIN...maybe i just being picky

here is a pic of the install....
Attached Thumbnails Alpine Navigation and iPod controller installed-alpine.jpg  

Last edited by ImaginAsian; 07-08-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
can anyone help!i need to know where is the vss (vehicle speed sensor)cable on my car i have a 1999 E 320.iam trying to install navigation.