E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2002 E Trunk Lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E Trunk Lock

Does anybody know how to prevent access to the trunk when using a valet service? The manual addresses cars manufactured pre 9/01, but mine was manufactured 11/1 so there isn't a "position 2" in the mechanical trunk lock.

While I'm at it, does anybody know why the high beam flasher and horn don't work unless the key is in the ignition and in position 1? I would think for safety they would be operational regardless of the position or presence of a key.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Re: 2002 E Trunk Lock

Originally posted by New E
Does anybody know how to prevent access to the trunk when using a valet service? The manual addresses cars manufactured pre 9/01, but mine was manufactured 11/1 so there isn't a "position 2" in the mechanical trunk lock.

While I'm at it, does anybody know why the high beam flasher and horn don't work unless the key is in the ignition and in position 1? I would think for safety they would be operational regardless of the position or presence of a key.

Thanks!

I have a '01 E430 and I don't believe the '02 is any different. I just looked through my manual and I see what you're talking about. So I went out with my brand new key (I had to order a new key 'cause the old one was faulty) and lo behold, I can't get the darn thing to go into Position 2 - there is no Position 2 and I'll be at my Mb dealer tomorrow to figure this out.

The horn and high beam think is also same - kind of dumb about the horn. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

While I'm at the key stuff, how do I change the little mechanical release key tab? My new key came with several color tabs and I'd like to differentiate between my wife's and mine. It seems simple but who knows??
Old 05-19-2002, 12:26 PM

Thanks for (unfortunately) confirming your manual says the same thing. I thought my reading comprehension level was okay, but after re-reading that manual several times I began to wonder! Please let me know what you find out, and if your dealer doesn't know I'll ask mine when I see them.

With respect to the changing the colored tabs, I opened mine up and didn't see any easy way to change it either. I took a small pin and tried to push the tab out, but that didn't work...

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2002, 09:38 PM

I physically brought the car in to the dealer today, and according to their technician the locking feature was removed when the "inside" release button (the green one inside the trunk) was installed.

The loaner car they gave me was also a 2002, but it was produced in 6/01. However, despite the manual stating cars produced prior to 9/01 could be locked, this one couldn't either.

I guess your secured items will have to fit in the glove box when using a valet!
Old 05-22-2002, 10:46 PM

The trunk locking mechanism was removed per Federal law mandating emergency release mechanisms to be installed inside the trunk. The emergency release mechanism is that green flashing button you see inside the trunk.

If MB kept the trunk lock feature, then the emergency trunk release would be useless and therefore, you could lock someone inside the trunk. In addition, MB would be in violation of Federal law.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:23 PM

Does anybody know if an older (pre 01' mfg. date) trunk lock is compatible with the 01/02' chassis from both a mechanical and electronic/electrical standpoint?

Thanks.