E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

1997 E300D Trans Rebuild: Valve Body/TCM Mismatch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E300D
1997 E300D Trans Rebuild: Valve Body/TCM Mismatch?

After being stranded with a P0730 code ("incorrect gear ratio) and being shown significant metal in the pan, I had my 722.6 transmission re-built by a local shop. The rebuild transmission has some odd behavior, which the shop attributes to a mismatch between a new valve body and the old TCM (Transmission Control Module?).

The behaviors:
  • 3-5 sec delay before dropping into forward or backward gear progression.
  • Reluctance to upshift to higher (3,4,5) gears in hard (freeway onramp) acceleration. Counter-intuitively, if I pull back a bit on the accelerator, the upshifts will occur. If I just keep the pedal down (but not enough to engage the downshift switch) the engine simply races and acceleration fades as I move beyond above the power band.
  • Upon stiff braking, or sometimes a quick lift off the accelerator, hard downshift bumps from 2->1.
The rebuilder (the shop sent the work out-of-house) maintains that the original valve body is no longer being manufactured, and that a new valve body requires a new TCM to manage the shift points properly. Does this sound right to the forum?

NB: I may be confusing TCM and TCP (control plate), but I don't think so. I'm out of my limited depth though. ;-)

Thanks for any light you all can shed. Particularly user MAVA in Sacto. (I'm in Oakland).
Old 12-04-2022, 04:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
once again a member got bs by not having the correct information prior to work. all correct parts are listed in MB EPC including the conductor plate screws in detail so there is no excuse
i would have never accepted the hs of shift points-----the question did he rebuild the transmission with mb and or equal.
your shop is correct the TCM's software controls the transmission the various valve bodies and respond to the software
your question to the AH is why not have your TCM reflashed with this so called new software vs purchasing another TCM and who is going to guarantee the job
in any event your ignorance will cost you some big bucks with a car that has a 500 dlr value