E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

clicking noise from center back of car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 wagon
clicking noise from center back of car.

hi new to mb and forum here

i got an '98 e320 wagon i got this past jan and all sudden just after putting my summer rims/tires on
i now have this clicking noise from back -i want to say center like origin, but could be passenger side ....
Initially i thought it was a stone in the tread ...so i looked all the treads; because as i go faster it speeds up, slow down, it slows down. really thought it was just a stone in the tread of the pass side rear tire. but no rock

i then thought / checked to see if maybe a wheel weight was rubbing something, not seeing any scaring on any of the weights, looks to be making clearance just fine.
i then checked all lug bolts, all tight!

jacked up the whole rear-end and spun both wheels, independently in neutral and I can NOT get the clicking noise to occur by spinning wheel by hand...it happens only driving forward and NOT in reverse.
However, turning right it gets worse, but turning left noise IS gone/goes away!

Are we thinking CV joint? but if it changes on or off on turn/s, how could it be the rear axle?? so front maybe? but i swear the sound sounds like from the rear

any thoughts or ideas ...? maybe loose driveshaft bolt or smth? just seems weird to suddenly happen now that i put summer rims/tires on :/

will say that i did have trouble with one lug bolt, in fact stripped the head right off, as i had those longer lug bolts with the thinner shank above the ball half way down. so the head of the lug bolt reefed right off and had to use bolt extractor nut to get it out...but i had the corner raised on stands, and when trying to back out the lug bolt with cheeter-bar, i wonder if i reefed on something with all my pressure trying to turn the bolt out...and caused damage that way?

Old 04-08-2023, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 wagon
bump././. in the mb forum group pages for e-class w210's ??? no one has any ideas ???

Last edited by slappy white; 04-08-2023 at 10:33 AM.