E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need Help on Right Mirror Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2023, 04:49 AM
t4z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamaha TZR50, Opel Zafira A, MB W211 E240
Lightbulb Need Help on Right Mirror Fix

I bought a 1997 W210 E240, petrol engine with automatic gear. When test driving, I felt that it was difficult to reverse the car, because I could not see well. I thought it was because I was not familiar with a long saloon car. I continued and bought the car.

Yesterday I realized that it was because the right mirror was not working properly.

I never had such a car before, however, apparently, the car adjusts the position of the side mirrors, when I switch gear to D and to R. The left mirror was changing its position smoothly. However, the right mirror struggles. I could hear duh duh duh noise from it. And when the right mirror stops its struggle, the mirror is facing too much up, showing street lights when driving.

This has been dangerous for me when I'm driving, because I can only properly adjust the right mirror when there is a passenger on the passenger side, who can help me manually press the right now down so that I could see the traffic on the right side.

I cannot adjust right mirror myself. If I park the car and adjust the mirror myself, the right mirror will go back to the upward position when I switch to D or R.

I hope I can try to fix the right mirror without replacing it. I have found some videos regarding how to replace a side mirror. I also found thread here on how to fix a floppy side mirror (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-w210-fix.html). I don't know how to describe the problem with my side mirror. However, I don't think it is floppy. To conclude, I haven't found a video or tutorial that fixes a improperly operating side mirror. Do you have some advice on how I may approach the problem? Shall I probably try to open the side mirror and take some photos, so that you may provide suggestion on what the problem may be?

Alternatively, I hope to just disable the automatic side mirror adjustment. My other car is a 7-seter Opel Zafira A, which I almost never adjust the side mirrors. However, I haven't found a button to disable automatic side mirror adjustment on the E240. Is there such a button?

Thank you in adavance!
Old 04-07-2023, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Leave the mirror select button on the center console always set to the driver side. The passenger side mirror will not adjust when you go into reverse unless the passenger mirror is selected.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:19 AM
t4z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamaha TZR50, Opel Zafira A, MB W211 E240
Thank you very much! This fixed the problem!