E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

AC help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 11:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2000 E320
AC help

Hello guys. I just acquired 2000 E320 about 2 weeks ago and getting to know the car each day. At the same time,
it's a Mercedes, so what I know from the past sometimes (most of the times?) does not apply to these cars when
it comes to, such as repair and maintenance. So I ordered some manuals from evilbay and waiting for it to be deliver.
So please bear with me.

My problem right now is that driver side AC is not cold. Pass. side seems no problem at all. Nice and cold, but the
driver side is warm on start up, get cooler but not cold as pass. side. Since I do not have manuals, I don't even know
the proper pressure for the AC, so haven't hook up the gauge or troubleshoot any of the component.

Is there like a valve to control the air flow or temperature? My previous car had a control valve that goes bad every so often
and needed a replacement in order for both side to work. Is Mercedes have something similar?

Thanks for your help.
The following users liked this post:
davmil2002 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
With a STAR diagnostic system or equivalent you can perform a test of the flapper valves under the dash. If you do not have a good diagnostic system, get one. You'll need the 38-pin adapter to access the diagnostic connector under the hood in the fuse box.

It is possible you have a bad duo-valve under the hood. If it is the duo-valve, you should see error code B1417 or B1418 when you run diagnostics as described below. Also possible you have a failed flapper valve or just a vacuum line break.

Flapper valves are actuated by vacuum; the hard line can break near the duo-valve located left rear under the hood. If the line is broken, just trim and repair with vacuum line. (Duo-valve is the double-can device in the background. That adjusts the flow of hot coolant into the heater cores.)

The HVAC system has its own onboard diagnostics. The following I copied from previous posts so others gathered the info first and then shared so give credit to the ones before me.
READING SENSOR VALUES
1) Turn ignition on. Simultaneously press down and up arrow push buttons until the pre-selected temperature setting of “72 °F” is displayed. Press the AUTO push button.
2) Press REST push button for more than 6 seconds. The display window will alternately show “01” and an in-car temperature of “72 °F”, or “LO” if there is an open circuit, or “HI” if there is a short circuit.
3) By pressing the driver side temperature push button, the next ascending test step is displayed. By pressing the passsenger side temperature push button, the next descending test step is displayed. Press REST push button to exit reading sensor values mode.

01 = In-car temp sensor
02 = outside temp sensor
03 = left heat exchanger (heater core) temp sensor
04 = right heat exchanger sensor
05 = evaporator sensor
06 = coolant temp
07 = refrig. pressure in bar
08 = refrig temp sensor (23*9 = 23.9deg C)
09 = nothing
10 = Blower control voltage (great for evaluating blower controller problems)
11 = emissions sensor (B31) e.g. 3.1 = 31.v
12 = sun sensor 4.2 = 4.2v
20 = aux fan control 6.1 = 6.1ma (max 10ma)
21 = engine speed
22 = vehicle speed
23 = Circuit 58d e.g. 99 = 99% of battery voltage
24 = BATTERY VOLTAGE e.g. 12.5 = 12.5v
30 = left rear air conditioning heat exchanger temp sensor (not all vehicles; obviously)
31 = right side
32 = rear evap temp sensor
33 = blower control voltage rear 0.8(MIN) – 6.0(MAX)
34 = left rear temp selector
35 = right side
38 = software status e.g. 37 rear air conditioning
38 = hardware status e.g. 37 , rear air conditioning
40 = control module version software status
41 = control module version menu hardware status
42 = control module variant code 1st number
43 = variant code second number.

To pull error codes perform the following. Be advised an error code will appear as "Eb1 232". This corresponds to (E)rror B1232.

Entering Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Display Mode

1) Turn ignition on. Press down arrow push button until “LO” is shown in A/C-heater control panel temperature display window.
2) Within 20 seconds, simultaneously press REST and defrost push buttons for more than 2 seconds. The Light Emitting Diode (LED) in the recirculated air push button will blink and the display window will show “di R”.

3) Press AUTO push button repeatedly, recording each DTC, until all DTCs are displayed. Permanent malfunctions are displayed first. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) IDENTIFICATION tables.
4) If no permanent malfunctions are stored, the display window shows “En d”. Press AUTO push button again. Intermittent DTCs will be displayed. Intermittent malfunctions are recognizable by the degree (°) symbol displayed along with the DTC (example: “04 °”).
5) If no intermittent malfunctions are stored, the display window shows “En° d”. Proceed to ERASING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES.

Erasing Diagnostic Trouble Codes
1) After display window shows “En° d”, press AUTO push button once again. Display window should show “dE L” (delete).
2) To erase DTCs, simultaneously press down and up arrow push buttons for more than 5 seconds. The display window should show “- –“. If not erasing DTCs, press the AUTO push button. The permanent DTCs will again be displayed. Proceed to EXITING DTC DISPLAY MODE.
Exiting DTC Display Mode
Simultaneously press down and up arrow push buttons until the pre-selected temperature setting of “72 °F” is displayed. Turn ignition off.

DTC error codes list:

B1226 – In-car temperature sensor (B10/4)
B1227 – Outside temperature indicator temperature sensor (B14)
B1228 – Heater core temperature (B10/1)
B1229 – Heater core temperature (B10/1)
B1230 – Evaporator temperature sensor (B10/6)
B1231 – ECT sensor (B11/4)
B1232 – Refrigerant pressure sensor (B12)
B1233 – Refrigerant temperature sensor (B12/1)
B1234 – Sun sensor (B32)
B1235 – Emissions sensor (B31)
B1241 – Refrigerant fill
B1416 – Coolant circulation pump (M13)
B1417 – Duovalve (Y21y1), left
B1418 – Duovalve (Y21y2), right
B1419 – Electromagnetic clutch (A9k1)
B1420 – Idle speed increase
B1421 – Pulse module (N65)
B1422 – Series interface (K1) connection to instrument cluster (A1)
B1423 – Switchover valve block (Y11)
B1424 – Activated charcoal filter actuator (A32m2) open
B1425 – Activated charcoal filter actuator (A32m2) closed
B1432 – Non-USA DTC
B1459 – Series interface (K2) connection to instrument cluster (A1)
B1462 – Wide open throttle (WOT) position signal: diesel engines

FWIW, here's the B1232 code I received a few weeks ago for the refrigerant pressure sensor. I will put the car in the shop for this one...

AC low-pressure line fitting is located mid-length of the engine on the right-hand side while standing in front of the car. The AC high-pressure line fitting is located at the upper-right of the radiator fan shroud while standing in front of the car. Remove the screen over the electric fans. In the upper-right of the fan shroud you will see a small plastic cover pressed on to the shroud. Carefully pry it off (brittle after a few decades) and you will find the high-pressure schraeder valve there.

Ref the radiator electric fans; one is motor driven and the second fan belt-driven off of the first fan. Yes, the drive belt can break and cut cooling significantly. Just rotate one fan with your fingers and both should turn. If not, just pull the fans out and replace the belt with OE or OEM.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 07-03-2023 at 03:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
davmil2002 (07-04-2023), raymond g- (07-07-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 03:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by ilove190evo
Hello guys. I just acquired 2000 E320 about 2 weeks ago and getting to know the car each day. At the same time,
it's a Mercedes, so what I know from the past sometimes (most of the times?) does not apply to these cars when
it comes to, such as repair and maintenance. So I ordered some manuals from evilbay and waiting for it to be deliver.
So please bear with me.

My problem right now is that driver side AC is not cold. Pass. side seems no problem at all. Nice and cold, but the
driver side is warm on start up, get cooler but not cold as pass. side. Since I do not have manuals, I don't even know
the proper pressure for the AC, so haven't hook up the gauge or troubleshoot any of the component.

Is there like a valve to control the air flow or temperature? My previous car had a control valve that goes bad every so often
and needed a replacement in order for both side to work. Is Mercedes have something similar?

Thanks for your help.
The AC\heating controls are all included in the dash mounterdAC controller-----the volume of air is a fan mounted resistor, the direction and location are through duct work air actuated flaps which in your case one or more may be faulty----your compressor should produce at least 17bar when full and any schmuck can read that with a set of AC gages
Read your manuals---read the forums stickys---have lots of money and get a good 38pin diagnostic set---happy driving
Old 07-03-2023, 10:01 PM

2000 E320
Thanks guys. I thought I went through sticky and did the search, but guess it wasn't good enough.

I'm still waiting on my manuals but I can perform the on-board diagnostic so wish me luck. I'm hoping it's something small/easy. Hoping for the best, preparing for worst.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
320e
Flaps vs. AC system

FWIW, I gotta assume if the system blows cold anywhere, then the core of it is OK and you've got a flap problem.
Old 07-04-2023, 09:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
Cool from the passenger side vents and warm from the drivers side vents is common when the refridgerant is low, but it can also happen if the duovalve is acting up.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:51 AM

2000 E320
Just ran a diagnostic and came back with B1233 and B1234. Ref. temp sensor and Sun sensor.

Just how hard is it to change the sun sensor? Went online and according to the web info, it's at middle top dashboard (unless this info is wrong).
Can I just pry that out with plastic pry bar that's use to take the door panel off? Or does it have to squeeze out from under the dash?

I'm still waiting for the manual to come in, so most of my knowledge is from here or the web.
Old 07-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
you use a plastic wedge,but those two faults wont solve your flap issue. The faults when fixed will add to the convenience features of the system
Old 07-06-2023, 07:52 PM

2000 E320
Thanks Plutoe. I checked the vacuum line that was posted but that's not broken. So I assumed it was those error code unit that's need of replacement.

However, when I ran the diagnostic, #3 & #4 had 14 degree difference (94 vs 80) , and Ac pressure of 14 so I'll try refilling it first, than tackle the duo valve next?
I'm still waiting on the manual as the seller sent me the wrong one (Saab). He's sending me the right one, but will be couple more days before it gets here.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
at 14 bar i would not start to recharge and did you get a duovalve fault code-----if not go have a pizza
Old 07-07-2023, 04:41 PM

2000 E320
Thanks Plutoe, Pizza on you?

Anyway, driver side is still warm, so I thought I'll charge it up just the little. 1 Bar is is pretty big compare to Psi and since you
mentioned 17 Bar in the previous post. Of course, I'm still waiting on my manual, so I still haven't hook up the gauges yet. Or
any other diagnostic(s).

What worries me is that Ref. Temp Sensor. Looks like I need to evacuate the system before I can get to it. Maybe I should evacuate
first, change the sensor and re-fill it.

I need that manual...............
Old 07-07-2023, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Just quickly jumping in to share my AC experience last week. My 1999 E320 has been near perfect performer the past decade. Last week when I drove it, the EC light stayed on and I was unable to override it. In previous years, I might have needed to toss a can of r134 in every couple of years. With the EC light on, this meant the compressor was OFF and unable to draw in and circulate r134.

Several days passed as I plowed through how-to on various MB forums. Oh, I also was unable to enter the diagnostic part to display the fault codes which made things more challenging.

FINALLY after dozens of button pushing (something like press and hold EC and REST.....or EC and DEFROST....or DEFROST and REST.... one of them worked, just as I was about to give up. EC light went out and the DEFROST was blinking. Whatever, in any case compressor was now operative again. Out came the r134 and plugged into the low pressure port. I turned on the climate control diagnostic part that displays AC pressure/temperature. Toggled to "7" and noted 7 bar.....then 9.....then 10 etc.

It has been holding at around 14 bar the past week and I'm a happy camper, thrilled that my baby was purring smoothly again. (What's this....Plutoe is picking up tab for pizza?)
Old 07-07-2023, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Great info. The last few drives have been unpleasant as the pilot of my 01 E55. Good stuff here to go on. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-08-2023, 12:13 AM

2000 E320
Thanks for the info raymond. My EC light is out, so I'm guessing that AC system is working.

Today, went to the car and took another reading. As before, #3 is at 94, #4 is at 87. Difference is smaller than before, but there is a difference. Forgot to
post it before, but #8 which supposed to be refrig temp sensor is showing E, which I guess correspond with my error code of B1233. Only other worry I
have is #24, which I have at 11.6. I bought a brand new battery the other day as the battery came with the car was dated 11/18 and wasn't sure of the
condition of it (it did died and won't start the engine. Reason for me to get another reading). I took the reading without starting the car, so maybe that's
why the reading is low? I threw away my previous reading, so not sure what was the reading before.

Anyway, still waiting on the manual. In the meantime, reading all I can on the web, including stickies.
Old 08-07-2023, 03:33 AM

2000 E320
Just wanted to update as some of you may have wondering what was wrong with my AC.

That manual finally came in, but still learning how to use them. In the meantime, since I have a manual in hand and if anything gone wrong, I can always refer to the shop manual, so decided to tackle the AC problem. Hooked up the gauge and everything look good. pressure is little on low side, so decided to add some R-134a. I've used straight 134a, not the ones with any sealant in it. If I have to, I was going to use the can with a dye in it later. But my first step was to fill it with proper amount of 134a. Just got the car like month ago, so I need a baseline on everything I do. Surprisingly, I had, according to the on-board diagnostic, 14 bar pressure, but took almost a pound of 134a. I can't be sure exactly how much, but it took more than 12oz because can of 134a I had came with 12oz. It took one can and little more. Wasn't that much, but definitely, more than one can. Yes, I know if you subtract the weight, I can tell how much I used, but I didn't weight the can before use.

Anyway, after re-fill, my AC is blowing ice cold. Pressure is at steady 16 bar, and it's blowing colder air than the DD driver I had, which was 2004 Lincoln LS, which got replaced with this E320 due to parts availability (It was basically Jaguar with Lincoln body, They only made those from 2000 to 2007, so good parts are very hard to come by) .
The following users liked this post:
bbirdwell (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
When recharging AC systems, I use a kitchen scale set in grams to measure the amount of refrigerant I am adding. As an example, with fitting installed, the full can will measure at 475 grams. After bringing the system up to the proper pressures based upon outside air temperature, the can may measure 250 grams. I then note in the maintenance log that 225 grams of refrigerant were added to a system with 1000 grams capacity.

FWIW, I go to pick up my '99 today. Compressor failed so it and other parts replaced. The car is 24 years old so I'm not complaining too loudly. Since I just got my '05 out of the shop two weeks ago for a large repair bill, and now adding this repair bill, I told the owner I expect to see my photo on the wall with the annotation, "Customer of the Month".