E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Aux input for ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Aux input for ipod

I have been reading some threads on the other forums where some guys disabled their tape function on their stock stereo unit, and basically tapped, hard wired into the tape aux input for their ipod. You can no longer use the tape function, but who plays tapes anyways.

I know the newer head units with command, etc have an aux input. But I have a Becker BE1692 model on a 97 E320. This model has the 3 adapters on the back. A plug for the power, etc. B plug for the speakers. And the C adapter has the CD changer functions. (http://www.beckerautosound.com/1492.html)

Has anyone modified their older model factory unit to have an aux input that can be used for an ipod, etc? I think it was on the CLK forum that had a good write up with pictures, but their head unit was different from mine, so I wasn't sure where to cut the traces and which pins to hard wire my RCA cable too. The orginal thread is with a W203 stereo unit (http://66.15.182.201/w203aux/ ).

I know I can use a itrip fm adapter, etc, but I want a cleaner, hard wired sound.

Thanks,
MbMiller
97 E320 83K
Old 11-03-2004, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Have you checked this out yet? It claims to have a link for any factory unit:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_mo...d=2692_0_6_0_M
Old 11-03-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Yeah I did, the ice link module is $219. That's pretty expensive for an adapter plug. But it looks like a great product, just too much.
I think you wrote me a while back about the piggy backing on the RCA jacks. But of course my head unit doesn't have any jacks to splice into. But thanks for the reply anyway.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Agreed, at that price you could almost get another headunit that either has an aux jack (albeit in the back) or at least RCA audio-in jacks so you can piggy back.

I'm now looking at the Sony RA-300 aux in adapter (around USD65-99) for my Sony headunit....I'm not sure but I think it allows the selection of the source via the headunit - neater solution than my bulky AV selector .

If you can get a good deal, a new headunit (decent quality e.g. CDX-M8805X, $265 N.B. I'm only recommending this for a good match with the rest of the interior and some good reviews http://miata.cardomain.com/sku/SONCDXM8805X) plus the adapter would set you back around USD330 (I've seen the adapter listed at as low as $65), that should be acceptable for a whole new headunit, right? Or else, you could go the Alpine solution with the fully integrated control capabilities but I think that would be almost double the cost (maybe figure1a can confirm the cost of that as he has it, together with his TV). Anyway, just a couple of easier alternatives than tearing your HU apart

Edit: My bad, I forgot the fact that you will most probably need to change your CD changer as well, as the Sony system may not work with the MB Changeror else this adapter might allow you to keep the MB changer but that's another 100 bucks.....(see http://www.installer.com/adapt.html ) .......hell, the costs just adds up

Last edited by Whitey; 11-03-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
OK, just installed a Sony XA-300 aux-in convertor in my ka:

Instantly converts the single set of Audio-in plugs at the back of Sony units (for the CD Changer) to 4 auxiliary inputs:

1) CD Changer
2) Aux1/CD2
3) Aux2/CD3
4) CD4/USB (for connection with computers, palms etc)

Now I can select the source, with a display of each source on the HU itself. Sound quality is great - seems better than my previous setup using a TV game selector.

With the USB connection, I can also directly link my computer to watch DVD's, play music etc through my car's speakers. I've yet to try using the USB link on the Ipod to this unit...maybe it'll allow display of some Ipod's info on the HU as well

I can even hookup 3 CD changers if I wanted, but who would with a 20G Ipod?

Unfortunately only good for Sony Headunits with Uni-link (on most Sony units). Just in case someone has an aftermarket Sony unit, this is your solution for an Ipod connection...or any other audio devices for that matter.

Sorry MBmiller for hijacking, thought some members might be interested....